Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamperwillow View Post
Saw the Holistic vet yesterday and started Bogey on a course of Chinese and homeopathic treatments. Myelopathy is the suspect since he has had neck issues in the past. Wish us luck!! Rowan, what kind of outcomes did you see with your dogs with that?
I've had two GSDs with Degenerative Myelopathy. I also think my corgi had it (although his issues could have been related to his back problems). I don't know if there is more than one kind of Myelopathy and if so, what type your dog has.

Degenerative Myelopathy tends to run in GSDs, although now I understand there is a genetic screening for carriers so hopefully it will be eradicated. For my female GSD, it started when she was 12 and the male I have now is 9 and I'm seeing his back legs start to slip. When I last talked to my vet about it, he said it progresses at different speeds for different dogs. In the case of my female GSD, it progressed very quickly but she was 12 (old for a GSD) when it started. I'm hoping my male's case goes more slowly as he's only 9 and so far that's been the case. With the corgi it progressed very slowly. He lived to be 14. The ultimate outcome however, wasn't good. It progressed to the point where they could no longer walk without great difficulty and at that time I made the decision, based on their lack of quality of life, to put them down. They also tended to occasionally lose control of their bowels with the disease but that happened before their ability to walk was severely affected. The only consolation in all of this is that they didn't seem to be in any pain from it.

I hope that you have success with your holistic vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
Our dog had that issue. The vet believed it was due to a neurological deficiency- there was the thought he had some type of lesion on his brain. But the vet didn't think it was the only contributor- age caught up to him as well.

A good check for neurological deficiencies is to "flip" their paw down (the top of their paw would be in contact with the floor/ground). If they don't try to correct it immediately, it is deemed a "positive test" for a neurological disorder. Obviously you only try one paw at a time.
do you do this test while they are standing up or laying down?

Old 01-31-2020, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 402 times
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your dog?? My dog has been displaying the same “ice skating” slip in her back left leg.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:37 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Get checked for lyme disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs