U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 8,600,945 times

Advertisements

Thumbs up or down? We had one in Chicago and it worked like a charm, but now we have three acres and two different dogs. They took after a rabbit last week and ran into the street while a car was coming. They haven't been offleash in the yard since. There is no way to rid our place of rabbits, and I'm hearing from too many people that a dog who is going after a rabbit will not stop. I'm pretty sure Teddy would do well on the fence, but I have doubts about Karma.

We could do a physical fence, but not as big of an area because of an imposed "build line" from the property developer. I'm going to talk to him about getting an exemption on that, but wow, an iron rail fence is going to be expensive. A wood fence would rot or get blown over here. Anyone in the neighborhood who has any type of wooden fence is always replacing parts of them. Plus, there is the staining -- I ain't having that.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,203,648 times
I wouldn't use one as a primary source of containment. Some dogs learn that if they get a running start they can break that plain with little to no pain. It also wouldn't stop anything / anyone from in your yard near your dog.

That said, I'm thinking of using it as a secondary source. I've got bigger dogs that can jump our fence so I've got to leash walk them. I'm planning on going back to school next fall which would leave my husband with doggie duty. He's got an illness that makes walking on his own difficult, and walking three dogs is too much. So I might try an underground fence at the fence line and put an electric fence along the top and bottom as a third barrier to convince them that digging under or jumping over is no fun.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM

36,503 posts, read 49,046,849 times
There are several in our neighborhood but the dogs still somehow manage to break through. once i was walking my Bichon Lucy and passed the yard where I knew a Wheaten Terrier was behind invisible fence. Out of nowhere he came charging at us and grabbed Lucy by the neck and I think he would have killed her had not a passing neighbor intervened and got the dog off scared-to-death Lucy. When we got home I e mailed them but got no response. I think they were out of town and their teenager let the dog out without the shock collar. After that Lucy would literally shake every time we went near that house. But other neighbors told me the dog got through even with the proper collar on.

Another neighbor has one which keeps a Beagle in but he looks so sad watching the kids run around and he is scared to move from the front porch.

I know most rescues are against them and don't let people with them adopt rescue dogs.

We are in the process of fencing only a part of our backyard but it is mostly to keep deer out. Occasionally I will put the dogs back there if nobody is available to walk them but I swore I would never have a backyard dog again. I can imagine that Kansas winds will really tear anything other than metal fence down cause we used to live in Oklahoma and had a wood one. We priced metal fences but to go 7 ft was out of the question so we are using deer fencing on 3 sides- not visible from the street- and nice wood fence for the front exposed to the street. It will be 5 ft stockade fence with 2 feeet of lattice on top and a nice trellis above the 6ft wide double gate.

Maybe a smaller dog run with a nice metal fence would be your best bet but you might not be interested in that.

As it is we set a 5K$ budget for a fence and that is what our combo is going to cost.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,675,680 times
There's lots of fence options, chain link now comes in colors, no climb, field fence (aka hog wire). I used 1"4' chicken wire but my dog is small.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM

74 posts, read 126,531 times
Im not about eletric frences, they are not necassary, you just have to be dedicated to spending alot of time to train IMO. I live on 1 acre, no fence, with a few other dogs, all property trained. Here's what i do with a pup in training... 1st and formost, I never let my dogs step foot out of my yard. If you want to walk your dog around the block, put em in your car, drive up the street, and then start your walk. For each pup of mine in training, they drag a 20ft lead around my yard, so I have time to grab the end of the the long lead to correct any undesirable behaviour before it even happens.... I've said this before and I'm going to say it again... having another very well trained dog around is very helpful when training a pup.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

13,269 posts, read 35,629,263 times
Totaly against it! 1st wont stop a dog whose mind is else where ...like chasing a rabbit! Wont stop other dogs from comming in & fighting with your dog. Chainlink! Even if you cant fence the whole yard! Tie outs Trolleys would also work well for you. I seen you post about going to the park & walking them so just for them to go potty etc I dont see it as a problem tying them. Where Were You when they went after the Rabbit? Did you try to call them back? IF You did & they didnt come back Take them to Obedience Classes! They need to learn to Come to you no matter what they are doing! And SHAME on YOU IF you were Not outside watching them! Esp with No Fencing!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 AM

No tie outs. We want to play with them in the garden. And I would like to not always be driving to the park. No chain link either. It isn't allowed here and I don't like the look. I also don't need to be told to supervise them outdoors. Geeze, I am so vigilant I even watch them like a hawk INDOORS. If I didn't monitor them outside, Teddy would eat all 35 yards of mulch in our garden beds!

Good feedback on the IF though. Thanks. I know it can work well because I have experience with it, but I also know that no amount of obedience training guarantees anything when they spot a rabbit.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM

13,269 posts, read 35,629,263 times
Well I Know for a Fact Dogs do learn to listen No Matter what to their owners When the OWNER Trains them! And you knocked the fence...so hope you have lots of money when they get hit by a car!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I Know for a Fact Dogs do learn to listen No Matter what to their owners When the OWNER Trains them! And you knocked the fence...so hope you have lots of money when they get hit by a car!
I have no idea what you're talking about Katie, but you're being really nasty, whatever it is you're trying to say.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,088,581 times
I've had two clients who used them "successfully". But I've also seen dogs run right through them.

I have successful in quotes because IMO it made them nervous, fearful and insecure. One family stopped using it for that reason and the dog took forever to stop being afraid of the yard. The way it impacted me was making my trips extended because she would NOT relax enough to eliminate and she also clung to the shrubbery around the house because she was so afraid to get near a boundary.

Now, once she got "unafraid" of it after they stopped using the thing on her collar, she WILL elope if given the chance. Like once she ran out of their open gate. (the house was only fenced on 3 sides using a creek for a boundary on the back side which she happily ran into given the opportunity chasing animals).

The second client is very nervous going out front and you have to (according to the owner) THROW the collar across the fenceline so she sees it, and will walk past,. (she walks in a harness) or she WILL NOT go for a walk. And TBH that's what happened with me. She is a Goldendoodle.

There are also two large Beagle dogs down the block from one of my dailies and they respect it even while barking at my client and don't seem scared of it at all.

I think another thread here has a video posted of a homeowner testing it out on himself and screaming when he turned the dial up to 3 or 4 maybe? But if you had one before, you already know about them.

How about a white "vinyl" (?) fence? No maintenance and to me, not offensive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...&bih=955&dpr=1

Then again, I have no problem with cyclone fences either.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cycl...&bih=955&dpr=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs