Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM

207 posts, read 445,494 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I feel so horrible because we might need to make a decision that is not for the benefit of our lovely dog due to financial reasons. Our dog was diagnosed with Mesotheliomia in July. He was making a crying noise when he jumped down from the car and we brought him to the vet right away. He had extra fluid around his lungs due to Mesothelioma which was causing him discomfort. They drained the fluid and he felt great. The vet explained that this was not a terminal moment. They could do 5-6 chemotherapy treatments which might scar down the mesothelioma cells and then he may be able to live a year or two. That cost us 2500 just to figure that out.

We did 6 chemos at cost of 600 each. He was not responding that well to the chemotherapy. He only responded well to one drug and the vet told us today that drug would need to be continued twice a month indefinitely (1200/month). Basically that drug will slow it down but not be as good as the other drugs, so he would have to keep taking them. That drug did seem to help decrease the total fluid developed, but not stop it completely. He is fine on chemo, his normal happy self.

I feel so guilty and so bad but we had to tell the vet that we can't keep affording this. I am a PT and my husband is a school teacher so we are not made of money. We have also had other things come up during this same time period such as car repairs, etc.

We will try to manage the fluid by draining every few weeks at the vets. I feel so bad though. If my poor dog had been adopted by someone wealthier, then maybe they could have afforded it. I feel guilty saying we can't afford it, but we really can't. What we have paid already has wiped out a lot of our savings.

And no unfortunately, we do not have pet insurance. He was 7 when we adopted him (he is now 8), so that was not an option. He is a rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,981 times
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You may find that a local rescue will either take your dog of your hands and care for him (I imagine you would have to actually surrender him) or may provide some form of financial assistance (grant).

Don't beat yourself up. You're doing what your can, financially, and have already done more than most would. If nothing else, you have provided him love and you can't put a price tag on that.

Best of luck!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
$1200? Shop around for other quotes, then decide.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM

207 posts, read 445,494 times
Unfortunately there is no shopping around. She is the only oncologist in the area. It is not a one time 1200 expense, it would be 1200 every month indefinitely

Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
I'm so sorry...your post is heartbreaking.

There have been two suggestions already and more will come, so let me just say this. You rescued a dog, which is an act of real kindness. An older dog, so doubly so. You have demonstrated a great deal of love and commitment by going to the lengths you have already, so please don't beat yourself up for running out of funds for expensive treatment. Mesothelioma is a rotten disease for a dog or human, and the prognosis isn't good no matter how much money a person has.

I have no doubt from reading your post that you have given your beloved pet more than most owners would, rich or not. I wouldn't give the dog up to someone else, no offense to the person who suggested it. I would keep him home where he is familiar and loved and give him a dignified end of life experience with the wonderful people who gave him a forever home. You will not be failing your dog by doing this. You will be saving him again, this time from the trauma of endless interventions, discomfort, and anxiety. Play with him, give him treats, pet and hug him, walk and care for him until he tells you he's ready to go...naturally. I'm not saying you were wrong to fight his illness for him...not at all...but if he could talk he would tell you it's okay to stop if you must. All he wants from what's left of his life is to live it in peace, with you.

It hurts. I've been there. But please, don't blame yourself when everything you've done is more than he would have ever asked of you. That's why our pets are so special. Peace, and good luck.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
You sound like great pet owners. I think the above poster has great advice. There comes a time when the best thing to do is provide love and sort of play it by ear. Sometimes it is not really fair or in the best interest of a pet or person to keep on with treatments whose only purpose is to keep them alive a little longer.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
dmlarue1, please stop beating yourself up with guilt. Sometimes there is nothing we can do at any price and you've done your best for your beloved pet. I've faced a similar situation recently, we had unusual expenses then the dog became violently ill. I had to shop around and thought he was going to die because I couldn't afford to borrow any more. I'm still battling my budget three months later.

We do the best we can with what we have but at some point our beloved fur friends leave us. It doesn't matter how much money or time we invest they find their way to the rainbow bridge. If you had unlimited funds you'd be able to extend your friend's life but eventually the disease would take over.

All of my fur friends are getting older and I sometimes catch myself thinking about the day when they'll say 'enough.' I know it will be painful so I make it a point to enjoy today, this moment. I savor each day with them, I store memories against the time when that will be all I have. No one owns tomorrow so we all should live as fully in today as possible.

You did a wonderfully kind and loving thing to adopt an older dog and give him a good home. Now show that kindness and love to yourself and focus on the time you have together rather than what you can't do, I promise you'll feel better and not regret it.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I love my fur kids. I love all fur kids. So much so that I've been doing rescue for over 20 years. However, in your place I'd put my pet down. It's not that I don't love them or that they don't mean anything to me. It's that they were given love and when they have something like this that is so expensive, especially if you're not made of money or have a credit card with a huge limit or have a vet willing to let you run up a five figure tab, it's the logical option. My vet would probably let me run the tab. I wouldn't do it.

There are millions of pets that die in our shelters every single year. This doesn't even take into account the dogs that are abandoned by owners, taken in by rescues, or that live their lives on the street. So many are in need. Perhaps if you had the money and this country no longer had shelters popping at the seems with dogs and cats about to die my answer would be different. But given all the information, I'd have him lovingly put down while you hold him and when you're ready make a trip to your local shelter.

I'm so sorry you're in this spot. Losing them never gets easier.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
But given all the information, I'd have him lovingly put down while you hold him and when you're ready make a trip to your local shelter.

I'm so sorry you're in this spot. Losing them never gets easier.
I second this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs