Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times

Advertisements

Love all the updates, info, what's what, etc. Thanks for sharing all the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Bright - it's nice to share stories like yours here, glad Brandy is safe and hope she does well with Lori and stays put this time. Thanks for taking the time to share it and for all your hard work on Brandy's behalf, you've a kind and generous heart.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:10 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Here's the picture that Bright wanted posted here, of Brandy on her new bed:
Oh Dawn, thanks for posting that. What a picture of serenity! She is just lovely.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I know she scared herself almost to death, but somehow think she's been on the run in the past. Just don't know enough about her.
This is what has worried me about Karma. She was picked up as a stray on the run, and she will bolt from a stranger who is trying to get her. I often wonder how someone managed to get her into their car. That's why we're getting a fence in two weeks. No matter how much she loves us or how well we try to train her, there is that nagging doubt about her need to be on the move.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I know she scared herself almost to death, but somehow think she's been on the run in the past. Just don't know enough about her.

she looks good on her new bed.

it is heart breaking to think of her unknown past, perhaps
she got lost and all these years are trying to find her owner.

we hear those stories all the time and I firmly
believe that dogs never forget someone they once were
bonded with.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
She was with the people who abandoned her from age eight to 14. They let her run but she knew where she lived until she was bitten by a raccoon and hadn't been vaccinated for rabies for those six years. Before that, don't know, but I know she is utterly bonded to Lori from her six months at the shelter and certainly from watching her behavior since being caught. Has it only been five days?!

I took down at least 80 flyers today (with staples!) in one town where she'd been seen a few times. People kept stopping to ask if she'd been found and they were really overjoyed at the good news. A police officer stopped to ask if I was OK and was thrilled with the news. Amazing how much happiness the rescue of one little old dog has brought so many people, real life and online. I am humbled.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
This is what has worried me about Karma. She was picked up as a stray on the run, and she will bolt from a stranger who is trying to get her. I often wonder how someone managed to get her into their car. That's why we're getting a fence in two weeks. No matter how much she loves us or how well we try to train her, there is that nagging doubt about her need to be on the move.
GPS her collar.

Garmin® Astro DC 40 REVIEW by Steve Snell

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Lori just sent me an update. Brandy will have a return visit to the vet on Friday to be weighed. She is taking antibiotics for her Lyme and some pain meds for that but appears comfortable. Lori takes her to work and when she has to leave the shelter on calls, volunteers help keep her calm (people she knows from her stay there) although she does show anxiety, it's not the franticness of her first days of return.
Lori said that Brandy usually peeks into the shower to make sure Lori hasn't escaped somehow, but today she got right into the shower and got herself a bit of a bath. Brandy sure isn't planning to be on the run from Lori!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
We use those and another type on our hunting dogs. They wear two.

Still, they can get out of range and in time the batteries will deplete.

It would not have helped with Brandy much.

I have a dog that is hard to catch.....the collar tell us where he is but, do not help getting him.

If anyone tries these collars, get the longer antenna's.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Lori just updated me. It's been eight days since Brandy was captured. She is eating well and this morning was rolling on her new bed and then on Lori's bed, tossing the quilt and just looking joyful while playing and rolling. She advanced to letting Lori stand on the deck while she and the others went in the yard. Previously, she wouldn't leave Lori to go into the yard, and had to be walked out with Lori. She's getting a vet checkup today but seems to be recovering remarkably well. She's so resilient and active at 14 1/2! I wonder when she'll start seeming like an older dog!
Lori says I didn't "dump" Brandy on her and that she should have been more aware before asking me to adopt her as to how attached Brandy was to her, but she was too busy and it got past her. We both agree that the most important thing is that Brandy is home and getting well and is happy. I don't think she'll be running away again, and I do think she was looking for Lori when she ran from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs