Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,042,986 times

Advertisements

My friend from work has a mini dachshund that woke up sick this morning. She is on vacation so her adult daughter is taking care of the dog. Anyway she has a temp of 98, pink gums, vomiting up foamy stuff, diarrhea, and is groaning. Her daughter took her to the vet and the vet thinks it is bloat but wants to wait a couple of days and see how it goes. The other option is surgery costing $3000. That is what she told me anyway. Her dachshund is sisters to my dachshund Lady Bug. Just asking for good thoughts and prayers if you would it makes me really sad to hear about her suffering. I offered to let them borrow some money. Not $3000. because I don't have that much but something. Heck I would pay for her to see my vet. I trust her completely. They are giving her pedialyte by syringe and have stopped any food for now. Not that I think she is eating any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,466,870 times
DId they take xrays, sounds like they feel she ingested something. I'd prob. want to wait too, in the hopes it passes or she upchucks it but w/ the fever, her being in pain and other symptoms, prob. would go for the surgery. Hopefully all will go fine and she'll feel better soon, pls keep us posted, thinking of her...

Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,326,112 times
Wait a couple of days on bloat? That's a new one!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:27 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,991,821 times
If she hasn't had them she needs x-rays. If the vet didn't take them for any reason other than it was offered and refused this dog needs to go to a new vet right now. I don't think bloat's very common in dachshund's but it's not impossible and waiting is not an option if that's what it is. At 98 her temperature is actually low (normal 100-102) which is concerning. She's groaning so she's in pain. Did the vet give her any pain meds?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM

32,781 posts, read 48,555,685 times
New vet NOW!!

A vet who can't tell bloat is a quack and any vet who recommends waited to see what happens doesn't have a clue about dog health.

Personally, I think that $3000 for a torsion surgery is out of line.

I also think that a dog that is vomiting and pooping does not have a torsion.

Lowered body temperature always make me think of adrenal failure and that should have been checked.

Fingers crossed for the pup.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM

548 posts, read 1,042,986 times
Sweet Sophie passed away sometime in the night. She isn't even my dog and I have been teary eyed all day. Makes me sick to think of how much pain she had to be in. I don't know for sure but I am guessing they didn't have the money for tests and surgery. I wish I would have known sooner I would have paid for the x rays. At least then they could have prevented any more pain for her. If one of my dogs was sick like that I would be going out of my mind. But I would have also had my dog at the vet a lot sooner. Sad. ;(

Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,326,112 times
Sorry to hear this While that was going on in your world, I have been dealing with a client's dog and Congestive Heart Failure. Stayed with the little girl at the ER clinic until her people arrived from their trip. Didn't want her someplace without a familiar face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Sweet Sophie passed away sometime in the night. She isn't even my dog and I have been teary eyed all day. Makes me sick to think of how much pain she had to be in. I don't know for sure but I am guessing they didn't have the money for tests and surgery. I wish I would have known sooner I would have paid for the x rays. At least then they could have prevented any more pain for her. If one of my dogs was sick like that I would be going out of my mind. But I would have also had my dog at the vet a lot sooner. Sad. ;(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs