Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

My friends daughter that is in her 3rd yr in Vet school at UC Davis posted this article on facebook. I see so much vet bashing these days that I thought I would pass it along.

Letter]Letter to a Pet-Owning Nation | Loudoun Woman Magazine to a Pet-Owning Nation | Loudoun Woman [url=Magazine[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
The article says vets are "humanitarian to the core"...sure they are, as long as the human's got the cash...I'm not "bashing vets" by saying that either...and I wouldn't deny that without a vet some animals would die.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times
Thank goodness for a GOOD Vet. Invaluable.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
As with physicians and pretty much everything (customer service has gone down the tubes also), good vets are not easy to find and worth their weight in gold when you do find one. We are lucky to have 3 of the good ones, but it took time and a few false starts before we found them.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Our Vet takes care of a homeless guy's dog for free. He's also treated cats and dogs that have been hit by cars and left to die without any owners.

He called me once to ask if I'd take in a ferret that a pet store brought to him which needed surgery. The pet shop signed over the ferret and he said he'd do the surgery for free if an owner could be found. I've had the ferret ever since.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The article says vets are "humanitarian to the core"...sure they are, as long as the human's got the cash...I'm not "bashing vets" by saying that either...and I wouldn't deny that without a vet some animals would die.
Unfortunately, vets will sometimes all wind up being painted with the same brush. At the end of the day, a veterinarian does have bills to pay, and most cannot act as a charity by discounting prices or offering to forego tests or procedures in order to suit the pet owners' wants....the last point is not even ethical. You will sometimes find a vet who will give a person a break, but for the most part the reality is, they have often massive costs to maintain, a business to run, and they should not be expected to offer deals to clients who ask for it. I can only imagine the number of people who walk into any given vet clinic in a day and, once an assessment on the pet is made, say, "But, I can't afford this". It's heartbreaking, yes...but why is the responsibility (or blame) then put on the vet? It's up to the owner to (a) find a clinic that they are satisfied with, and is affordable for them (yes, some clinics are pricier than others, the same as any other business), and (b) plan for unexpected vet expenses by either having a fund set aside or purchase an insurance plan for their pet.

Anyone who ventures into pet ownership should be aware ahead of time that pets cost money, that emergencies do happen, and should always plan on the unexpected happening. Planning ahead, rather than blaming veterinarians when an unexpected cost arises, is the sign of a good pet owner. And if one vet does not meet an owner's standards, or has the owner questioning procedures suggested, then the owner is free to (and should) shop around, just as one would for a family doctor.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My friends daughter that is in her 3rd yr in Vet school at UC Davis posted this article on facebook. I see so much vet bashing these days that I thought I would pass it along.

Letter]Letter to a Pet-Owning Nation | Loudoun Woman Magazine to a Pet-Owning Nation | Loudoun Woman [url=Magazine[/url]
Interesting....just happened to read the article in the link and saw that the vet mentioned, Dr. Chau, is actually my vet!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
I have no problems with vets charging for services. Of course they have to and of course sometimes for most of us, money does figure in to the decisions we make for our pets. I wish it didn't but most of us don't have unlimited funds and vets do have business expenses that must be paid.

What I don't like is vets that push unnecessary services such as, for example, annual vaccinations (unless prescribed by law) when the protocol is 3 years.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Most of the vets I've dealt with have been kind, compassionate, and not at all money grubbing, as some people always suggest. They have a difficult job, treating patients that can't tell them how they feel, dealing with some owners with human failings they have to deal with (including some that want to put pets down unnecessarily for minor issues, puppies that don't meet breed standards, and other sad reasons), watching long-time patients age and eventually reach the time when it's time to say goodbye. Vets I've seen have discussed diagnosis and treatment options with me, usually encouraging less extensive (and thus less expensive) be tried first. They always did charge me for their services. Go figure!! They do have a business to keep running.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
At times I have felt a little let down by vets over the years.

Still I never "bad mouth" them..........I know in one second I could be VERY glad to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs