U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,948,116 times

Advertisements

I lost my nearly 13 year old dog Chelsea five weeks ago yesterday and I saw this dog on a website for our local shelter on October 2nd, went to see her on the 10th and adopted her on the 16th with about one to two weeks before she was due to have puppies, no idea who the pups dad is. I named her Dusty and today I took her in to weigh her and check her temperature to see if it had dropped below 100º and it was at 98º and whelping is about 12 hours away when it reaches 97.9º, they did an X-ray to see how many pups that Dusty has and their size and positions. All is set and ready to go, no pups are oversized and there are six. Dusty is a blue heeler and rat terrier mix and about a year old.

First picture is Dusty, second is all six pups and the third is zoomed in on one pups profile, you can see its skull and vaguely its face. The vet said that they are cute, heck all puppies are cute.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppies on the way-dusty-4.jpg   Puppies on the way-dustys-exray-puppies.jpg   Puppies on the way-dustys-puppy-profile-x-ray.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,096,135 times
Good luck and easy labor vibes to Dusty. I hope you are able to find good homes for the pups.

When I was a kid my parents a dog from the pound that was supposedly spayed. A few weeks later she surprised us with four puppies.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 AM

3,540 posts, read 8,413,454 times
She's so cute and it looks like she has claimed the best seat in the house. I hope labor goes well, I'm sure she'll be able to be a great mom now that she has a nice home to take care of her puppies until they find good homes too.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 AM

3,339 posts, read 8,792,897 times
I have never seen radiographs of puppies in utero before -- how amazing!! Dusty is a beauty and will be a good mom. Thanks for making her part of your family at such an important time! I can't wait to see pics of the pups!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM

17,528 posts, read 10,064,199 times
Congrats on adopting Dusty...she is a beautiful girl. I had to chuckle at your vet saying the puppies are cute from radiograph...he is right...it just sounded funny.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:03 AM

I already had homes for four of the puppies before we even brought Dusty home or even saw her. We lost our Chelsea on September 19th of pancreatitis, she was a lot like Dusty in appearance and attitude. We had had Chelsea since May of 2001 when she was just five months old and in our house are also Dutch, 13, and Molly, 14 who we got five years ago along with another dog we lost to cancer, but have known since 2001 and 2002. Chelsea knew all three dogs and was the alpha female, when she died it left a hole in the house and it was noticable, but Dusty, when she got here, took the alpha position and within ten days took over Chelsea's spot. Dutch and Molly are thrilled that she is here and both seem to be more alert, happier and even more affectionate. It is almost 9 am on Saturday morning and she has only progressed to small contractions now and then. I will know when it is time because she will not leave my side, follows me if I go to the restroom even and sits on the rug till I am done. At least I do not follow her out the dog door when she goes to do her business. Hopefully she will teach her puppies also to use the dog door. These puppies will also be conditioned to chickens, cats and an assortment of 24 birds.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Congrats on adopting Dusty...she is a beautiful girl. I had to chuckle at your vet saying the puppies are cute from radiograph...he is right...it just sounded funny.
My vet is a she and funny thing is her name is Dr. Bird

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

10,599 posts, read 16,529,959 times
Awwwww.

I'm sure she WILL teach them everything!

You probably have lots more experience than me with this topic...but this is a cool method that I stumbled onto last year. How to extend your whelping box to have a potty area in case you're interested. It's adorable seeing 3 week old babies consciously going to the potty area!

Puppies at 3 to 3½ weeks - Time to start potty training

Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,363,088 times
I remember your post wen u first got her.
Best wishes!!
And thank you for giving her a new beginning and great family.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Awwwww.

I'm sure she WILL teach them everything!

You probably have lots more experience than me with this topic...but this is a cool method that I stumbled onto last year. How to extend your whelping box to have a potty area in case you're interested. It's adorable seeing 3 week old babies consciously going to the potty area!

Puppies at 3 to 3½ weeks - Time to start potty training
We have done puppies before and lived in a converted bus at the time with 4 dogs, the one female that we were sure was fixxed, due to a belly scar in the right place, was not and got pregnant at three with five puppies. We had them potty trained and ready to go outside on command and back in by six weeks old. They were the most well behaved 8 week old pups any one had ever seen and they found homes right away. We also raised manx cats for more than 10 years, so I have assisted in many births, I also assisted in one human birth as an accupressurist for pain relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs