Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,230 times

Advertisements

Is there a dog shampoo or another grooming product on the market that will help reduce pet dander? My vet tells me that PetSmart does have some sort of wipes, but she doesn't know how affective they really are.

My husband's allergies are getting worse. We have one dog and just took in a foster. With the addition of the foster his allergies have really increased. So we're trying to change everything we can right now. My next step will be to send him to an allergiest. We probably will not foster again, or add a 2nd dog again Makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Dog dander is nothing but dried skin, and the older Fido gets, the dryer his skin. Thus, more dander as he ages. I go to feed store, like Southern States, and get a shampoo that helps itchy skin. Four Paws brand Magic Coat, Natural Oatmeal Shampoo is one example. I bathe them outside in their tub with warm water and a wash cloth. A good scrubbing feels good (apparently) and cleans the skin well. Rub them like you're trying to remove old skin, as that's exactly what you're doing.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,907 times
That's a great idea, an oatmeal based shampoo. Oatmeal is very soothing to the skin and helps to heal any abraisions. I used to soak my son's little butt in oatmeal water when he'd get diaper rash from antibiotics and it cleared it overnight. I should help the dogs skin and help with the dander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Dog dander is nothing but dried skin, and the older Fido gets, the dryer his skin. Thus, more dander as he ages. I go to feed store, like Southern States, and get a shampoo that helps itchy skin. Four Paws brand Magic Coat, Natural Oatmeal Shampoo is one example. I bathe them outside in their tub with warm water and a wash cloth. A good scrubbing feels good (apparently) and cleans the skin well. Rub them like you're trying to remove old skin, as that's exactly what you're doing.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
I sent my aunt a link and she got some as son allergic bad and she tried and works will ask what she uses as been 6 months and DM you with it.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I had one of my dogs with a very dry coat. We went to Dr. Bonner's Lavender Castile shampoo from the health food store. It has hemp and other beneficial herbs in it. It's wonderful and in fact I found other doggie owners who swear by it as well. I use it on my hair too. It lathers up quick, a little goes a long way, and it's soothng on the skin for the dog.

We also use a coat supplement called Fresh Factors from Springtime, Inc. The dogs also get their Joint Supplement, but Fresh Factors is used by many good show breeders, and is highly recommended for good skin and coat condition.

Our coats are looking (and feeling) really good, by the way.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
We use one from PetSmart on our dog. It is more for her comfort but I don't know if it really works or not. She has bad allergies with very itchy skin. She is on allergy meds. I think in her case taking something internally would be better but I don't know. DD used conditioner on the dog last time she got a bath (she loves to roll around in the rabbit droppings in they yard--yuck) and that seems to help.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Sorry, it's Dr. Bronner's shampoo, not Bonner's. There are some 14 herbs in it, including lavender for the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs