Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,585,665 times

Advertisements

Hey all... this is my Chihuahua.

She's 9 months old and 2.8 lbs... small and so very cute. She was spayed a month ago and there are no issues.

I do have a couple concerns that I wanted to bring up... the first is she shows a lot of aggression if I try to take something from her or prevent her from doing something... An example, I'll be sitting on the couch and she will be cuddled up in the chair with me under a blanket like she always does. She'll try to chew buttons on my shirt and when I try to move her away she snarls and snaps at me... showing her teeth and the hair on her neck from her head to her tail stands up.

If she picks up something off the floor like a piece of paper or napkin and tries to run off with it we end up with the same thing... I try to take it and she gets really aggressive.

It's only under these type situations.. i.e. I try to stop her from chewing buttons or I try to take something from her that she shouldn't have that she shows aggression. It's almost like she's saying "this is mine and if you take it I will bite you."

Is it just the breed and/or her personality? I certainly haven't trained her to show aggression like this and the Chihuahua I had from 2007-2011 with the ex wasn't like this either.

The other concern is her trying to hump my arm... If I am sitting in the chair or on the couch she will try to do that. She's fixed and female which is why it's a bit baffling... is this an attempt at domination over her owner?

Input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,379,107 times
Both male and female dogs will hump and it should not be allowed.
simply correct kindly her, she is still a pup , why some dogs do I don't know but I do
know that it is very rude and not an acceptable behavior . you will have to repeat the correction
many times before she will get it but stay at it and she will learn. no smacking or punishing , simply look at her
and say stop, remove her from your arm , should not be that hard with such a little thing.

for the resource guarding you need to start trading for something more valuable .
keep treats close at hand and rather than forcing her to give up trade her for something
she loves. start putting a word or command to the exchange such as "leave it" etc.
secondly , since she is a pup there should really not be anything left on the floor for her to
pick up or get into. she is a pup and you want to set her up for success .
look up resource guarding and you will get more tips.

your dog is a cutie but her nails are really long, at 9 months it looks like they
are already curling ?

Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

your dog is a cutie but her nails are really long, at 9 months it looks like they
are already curling ?
That picture was taken last month a few days before she had them trimmed... I get it done once a month.

Thanks for the response and tips!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I've got toy breeds and I can tell you without meeting you who is the boss in your household.

Unless you want your pup to grow up to be a monster, you must take over the leadership role. Adorable tiny dogs are still dogs and they need the same training and the same structured life that a great big dog needs.

We joke about my "Genuine Little Princess" running the household. She is really spoiled and manipulative, but when I say no, she stops and when I say come, she comes. She takes food gently and she gives up treats without protest. That is because, as spoiled and as pampered as she is, I am still the human and the human is above the highest status dog in the pack.

Your baby is absolutely adorable, but change things so that she only has whatever privileges that you grant to her and that she must acknowledge that you are the leader. She will be much more happier for it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've got toy breeds and I can tell you without meeting you who is the boss in your household.

Really? What gave it away?

I do baby her and let her sleep with me at night... but I don't let her walk all over me... at least I don't think I do.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM

22,633 posts, read 6,385,316 times
My daughter had a Yorkie and a Bishon (girls)...she brought home a 3 lb chihuahau (male)
He took over the whole house immediately...he's not mean but he is in charge, he gets what
he wants....big dog in a tiny body.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,453,731 times
I grew up with Chihuahuas and I know they can be quite aggressive despite their size. I think it is partly natural temperament and partly the fact that they are allowed to get away with behavior that larger dogs are not. The reality is you should not allow any behavior in a small dog that you would not allow in a 100 lb dog. Even though your dog is still young, you have to reinforce that some behaviors are just not acceptable and growling is one of them. Humping is a sign of dominance and should be discouraged.

Following the concept that nothing is for free has always worked for me. By giving him rewards only in exchange for following a command will reinforce that you are the boss - the end all and be all and provider of all good things. If he is snuggled up with you and he growls, simply tell him NO or whatever word you choose - pick him up and put him on the floor. He will learn that a growl will get him ignored - the one thing he really does not want!

The hardest part of training a dog is being consistent. They simply have a 6th sense about choosing a moment to something wrong when you feel you have no time or energy to reinforce your rules BUT that is when you really need to what is necessary. Rewarding a bad behavior seems to have super powers and trumps all the work you have done so far. The good thing is that all your efforts will be rewarded ten fold in the coming years and puppies do grow older and wiser.
Congrats on your new addition!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
my suggestion ot you...
reclaim your home NOW...chis are in part terriers, they are tinly little balls of dynamite and if they see an opportunity to take charge thyell take it happily.

for the growling over the buttons...
a firm NO and IMMEDIATLY put her on the floor and completely ignore her...EVERY TIME...don't let her get away with it even once.

for things on the floor, trade for something high value (ie a tiny piece of boiled chicken or liver treat, and start teaching the "LEAVE IT" command...) replacing the "bad" item with a high valued good item and again being consistent.

You do have the bonus of having a tiny little mighty mouse...its nice because its MUCH easier to remove a tiny dog from a bad situation just pick up and place on floor.

the humping is typically a play/dominance behavior...its got nothing to do with sexuality and everything to do with her letting you know she feels that shes top dog.

I suggest starting to practice NILF (nothing in life is free) training and increasing her excersize!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
Oh yes, reclaim your home. It will accelerate. Stay calm - no excitement no anger and no laughing haha. Be consistent. Follow through. Interrupting a bad act is only half, he has to "give it up" of his own accord (calm the brain down). It takes some time AFTER you interrupt or PREEMPT the act. And do not let him just avoid afterwards. You want his state of mind to change not just sneak away until next time.

LOL "Chihuahuas From Hell" Hall of fame episode. (these are recaps of previous full episodes that were longer)

(I couldn't resist )

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/74177]qnNbtICEJvOyALQma-oPqQ[/hulu]

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-24-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
This guy's youTube channel has all the episodes.

This is NACHO, the full episode, who has the possessive qualities you talk about. He's in the previous video I posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlhLT_4ovWI

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-24-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs