Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times

Advertisements

I have no idea if this is unusual or typical in the breeding world?

Can 2 'certain' dogs that are used to breed have some type of propensity to only produce female litters? I don't mean purposely, but more of a chromosome or genetic pairing anomaly.

A well know Belgian breeder in Belgium said, that sometimes the certain pairing of the parents may cause them to only produce females and they have seen it occur through multiple litters with the same paired parents.

I ask because the parents of my dogs had the 1st litter, ALL female. The 2nd litter was 6, 5 females, except for one male, who I have.

My trainer/breeder is breeding the parents again in January (because they produce such stable, level headed, old mechelaar KNPV lines) and it will be interesting to see if any males are produced this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
It is a 50/50 shot if the X-chromosome and Y-chromosome sperms have the same production, survival, mobility and acceptance rates by Oocyte.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
That could be possible. Although I'm not sure. There have probably been studies on it? I think you have a good idea of the possibility. Let us know what they produce.

I know you can now chose the sex of your pups. Kind of neat.

I did a breeding got 4 female, repeated the breeding got 4 males. Very weird. I'm not going to repeat it again, would be interesting if I could but I have no reason to. It is weird that the male only produced 4 pups each time. What is even more odd is all female and then all male.

What sex the pups come out and how many depends on a few factors. Time of breeding, how many eggs, the sperm. In studies male sperm swam faster but female sperm lived longer. Which might explain some of the litters I've seen with more of one sex then the other. Most of the litters I've bred "dead on" (at exactly the right time of fertility) have been either 50/50 male and female or only 1 odd, like 5 of one and 4 of the other.

Theoretically if you breed early then you should get more females and if you breed late then you should get more males. This is depending on other factors of course so it might not be 100% accurate but it increases the likely hood. I got a female from a litter of 9, she had 1 sister and the rest were male. They bred the female very late day 18 or 19. So while she was still fertile (and had a surprising large litter) most were male because the male sperm got there quickly. I know someone that did a breeding kind of early and just did 1 tie. They got 8 pups, 7 females and 1 male. There have been numerous litters I've seen that were either early with more females and late with more males. I know someone that ended up with 13 females when they specifically had done the breeding to get a male...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs