Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times

Advertisements

Just closed a deal on a 2014 Soul. Choose it specifcally w Judy in mind, she's 10 and it looks like it'll be easier for her to enter and exit. However unlike my current vehicle the Soul has fabric seats vs leather. Anyone have suggestions on covers? I HATE vacuuming and would like somethind comfortable for my fur pals and easy care for me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Just closed a deal on a 2014 Soul. Choose it specifcally w Judy in mind, she's 10 and it looks like it'll be easier for her to enter and exit. However unlike my current vehicle the Soul has fabric seats vs leather. Anyone have suggestions on covers? I HATE vacuuming and would like somethind comfortable for my fur pals and easy care for me. Thanks
A large sheet or blanket would probably be easiest. You can keep it folded up in the trunk when she isn't in the car with you, and it would also be very easy to take out to wash or to just shake off any dirt.

Or maybe something like this Vehicle Back Seat Cover For Dogs & Pets | Trek Pet.Com.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
That is what I do. I have purchased all kinds of covers but the easiest is to tie a twin sheet behind the headrest of the passenger seat. The tying keeps it in place and it is then large enough to cover a while area in order to control the hair. I usually take a blanket with me as well in the cool weather. The sheets shakes cleanly and does not take up space when it is not in use. If you think she will be wet, I place a thick towel on the seat itself.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM

Judy doesn't get wet if she can avoid it, she loves the ocean but NEVER gets her feet wet. I don't know about Ben, he's not been to the beach yet. I keep a blanket in the car at all times, it's good for so many things, 1st aid, fire, transporting heavy objects...I'll try a sheet but how do you keep it where it belongs?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
My girl rides in the front passenger seat so I just tie it behind the headrest.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM

107 posts, read 152,064 times
Congrats on the new car!

I generally just toss an old blanket or towel over the seat, but I'm driving around in a "Mommy Mobile" which is usually littered with empty juice boxes, old french fries, and who-knows-what. I'm thinking that, with a brand new car, you might want something a little nicer looking to cover the seats with.

Have you considered sewing a "custom" blanket or cover for your seat? I am not a big sewer, but am making a hammock-style cover for my boyfriend's back seat...he came with me to the fabric store and picked out the colors/designs that he likes (and match the car, of course ). It isn't going to save us a bunch money or time doing it this way, but that's ok...it will be nice looking AND functional (washable too). There are tons of free instructions floating around the web if you want to take a look at them.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Thanks ldydrgnfly. I had a hammock type of cover which was waterproof for my current vehicle and Judy didn't care for it, I think it made her nervous so I stopped looping it over the headrests. I might try upholstery fabric, hadn't thought of that, its heavy and durable. I can sew fairly well so that wouldn't be an issue and I could get it in a pattern/color I like. The remnant table and season end sale usually have great prices. Sometimes you can find deals online as well, depends on what you want. Great idea. I found the velcro didn't work well, too much fur but ties worked well and they're easy to apply. I could trim the piece with bias and make the ties to match...hmm I feel a sewing project coming on, LOL I could make Ben a matching outfit, NOT! Imagine a big bruiser of a dog wearing a matchy dress, LOLOL

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM

107 posts, read 152,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I could make Ben a matching outfit, NOT! Imagine a big bruiser of a dog wearing a matchy dress, LOLOL
We would DEFINITELY need a picture of that! haha!

On a side note, I never thought I would be one to dress my pups up in clothing, but my puppy started shivering like crazy back in October every time we would step foot outside. I put a coat on her and she was still shivering within minutes. So....I started making her heavy pajamas/jumpsuits which cover her backside as well as the front and she can finally go outside for walks and to play without being miserable. Now I find myself going to the fabric store, looking for cute fabric to use for her next "outfit".

Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Too cute. If Ben was cold I'd make him a coat but it's doubtful that'll happen here in FL. I realized while cleaning today I have fabric I could use, it's heavy muslin type I intended to use to cover some stools and never got around to using. People who sew usually have a lot of 'going to' fabric =) I haven't sewn in a while so probably have everything I need, now all I need is the vehicle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs