Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,758 times

Advertisements

Looking for +/- comments on Canidae Live Stages, Lamb & Rice formula; Had my Lab on Pro Plan, Now Science Diet, but am not seeing too many good comments on either of those two.

He has environmental allergies, and sensitive skin, so I figure this may be a good option for him.

Our Boomer is basically a house Lab, so just want to make sure Canidae wouldn't have too much protein for our "lazy boy".

Thank you,....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,242 times
This is what our Labs eat. One is more house oriented, and the other is very active. Our Bichon also eats this as well. The dogs really love to eat this food, which was not my experience in with foods in the past. All my dogs have varying skin issues, although nothing serious. I have not noticed a huge difference in their health since they began eating this brand, however I am pleased with the ingredients, and their overall health is strong. All in all, I feel like it is a quality product and worth introducing to your pet.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 PM

88 posts, read 424,111 times
I have two Shar Peis and my trainer told me about this food, so I just switched them. They love it, but it's supposed to be good for allergies. They haven't had any problems yet, but hopefully this will help avoid any future problems.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
I feed Canidae to both my senior and my younger dog. Had them both on ALS until Cleo started getting a tad portly and with being older it happens easier. I switched her to Lamb and Rice as it's lower in both fat and protein. I tried her on their Senior formula, but she wasn't impressed with that.

Both of my dogs have food related and environmental allergies. Prior to Canidae they would be on allergy meds three seasons of four, switching they might have to take one or two pills a year.

My lawn looks awesome as well considering there is yucca in the food

Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Canidae is a great product for dogs especially the lamb formula. YOu can't go wrong with Canidae, Eagle Pack, or Wellness.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I just switched our dog to this food. It is the first food that he eats 'dry'. They are small dark brown bites with a little subtle aroma. I would never taste it myself. So he seems to like it.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
After going crazy along with a very itchy Wheaton Terrior, I was told on here about Canidae. However, our local ma and pa pet shop told us to please try WELLNESS first, which we did. Less the 1 week and AMAZING improvment. I have to mention how valuable this site is for information, beyond helpful and it is greatly appreciated, dont think its said enough.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
I just recently switched my three middle aged dogs to this after many years on Purina One lamb and rice. What I have noticed after a week and a half. Their poo is now light brown and not as hard as before and much less gas. They also seem to really like and always clean out their bowls where with one, they ate when only hungrey.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Looking for +/- comments on Canidae Live Stages, Lamb & Rice formula; Had my Lab on Pro Plan, Now Science Diet, but am not seeing too many good comments on either of those two.

He has environmental allergies, and sensitive skin, so I figure this may be a good option for him.

Our Boomer is basically a house Lab, so just want to make sure Canidae wouldn't have too much protein for our "lazy boy".

Thank you,....marc
We haven't ever fed our dogs the Canidae Lamb and Rice so I can't tell you about that, but I can tell you Canidae is a very high quality dog food. We feed our dogs the Canidae All Life Stages, I guess it's just the "regular" formula. We feed them the one with 4 meats in it. I would highly recommend Canidae, it is a great food!

As far as Pro Plan and Science Diet, those are very, very poor quality dog foods, and I would never ever recommend either to anyone, for any reason! Any dog food that you see on a TV commercial and any food that is sold at a grocery store or in a vet's office is a poor quality dog food. As far as I know any way. The way I see it is grocery stores are for people, pet stores are for pets. And I would never trust a vet with my fur-babies nutrition. A year ago I would have, and I did, but that was only until I did loads and loads of research on dog foods and the ingredients in them, and found out that vets don't know anything about nutrition. Or anything truthful anyway. Vets take a class on nutrition, a class that is taught by a dog food company. So, they basically learn what that company teaches them, that's why they will sell that companies food in their office and recommend that companies food. For all they know, that's a great food!

We use to feed our dogs Beneful because it looks and sounds like a great food, plus our dogs loved it! Then, we decided to switch them to what we thought was a good quality dog food, Iams. Then, as I said before, we decided to do some serious research on dog foods and the ingredients in them. I was so upset when I found out the truth about all of these dog foods that we had been led to believe were so great for so long! I was disgusted at myself for not doing research on what I was feeding my fur-babies sooner! It is absolutely unbelievable what all of these popular dog foods are made of! I personally feel that it should be illegal for these companies to say what they do on their commercials and on their products, it is so misleading! Anyway, after doing research on many, many, many different dog foods, we decided to switch our dogs to Natural Balance, which is a good quality food. I was so ready to get our dogs adjusted to a good quality food that I don't think I gave them enough time to really get use to NB. I didn't think about the fact that it would probably take a little longer than normal for them to completely adjust to a food that was so much higher quality than what they were use to. Because they didn't get adjusted to NB as quickly as they adjusted to Iams when we switched them from Beneful, we ended up switching them to Canidae. By that point, I decided I would give them a month or so to get adjusted, and if they weren't doing good by then, I would change them again. It did take them a while to get use to Canidae, it probably took a few weeks, but once they did, the changes we saw were amazing! Almost right away, we noticed their coats were so much softer! They felt like they did when they were puppies! Their coats were shinier, they didn't shed quite as much, they quit chewing on their paws and tails like they use to, their eyes were noticeably brighter, they were just all around more beautiful, more healthy and more happy then they were when they were eating Beneful and Iams!

Foods like Beneful, Iams, Pedigree, Ol'Roy, Science Diet, All Purina and Pro Plan foods, Diamond, Nutro, etc, etc, etc, are horrible quality foods! Foods like Natural Balance, Canidae, Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul, Eagle Pack, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, Back to Basics, Innova, Wellness, etc, etc, etc, are very high quality foods. Here, to show you the difference in a good quality food and a bad quality food, here are the ingredients in Science Diet and Canidae. Since the first 5 ingredients are the most important, I'll just post the first 5 in each food. And I will highlight especially horrible ingredients in red and especially good ingredients in blue

Science Diet Adult Original Dry Dog Food
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/productDetails.hjsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=84552444176061 6
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken By-Product Meal
Canidae All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
Canidae® Pet Foods: All Life Stages: Dry
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal
Even after learning what we did about the ingredients in dog foods, it is still pretty hard to go through ingredients in dog foods and figure out exactly how good or bad the food is over-all, and it is very hard to compare dog foods to figure out which is the best. For us, this dog food rating chart was extremely helpful! It helps you go through the list of ingredients, figure out what is good and what is bad, and give the food an over-all score. That way you can compare different dog foods much easier!

Moderator cut: link only, please - copyright info

This website was also very helpful to us. It has different dog foods rated by stars, 6 stars being the best and 1 star being the worst. It doesn't really give you a whole lot of info on the foods, but because we didn't know of many foods besides what we saw on TV commercials and in grocery stores, we didn't know of very many good quality dog foods. This site has several different good quality dog foods, so we went through and picked the ones that sounded the best to us, then we used the dog food rating chart to go through the ingredients and compare the foods. Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Anyway, I hope this helps you out some. Good luck in finding the best, good quality food for your dog!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-19-2008 at 03:00 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post

Moderator cut: link only, please - copyright info
I don't have a link for the kibble rating chart because I didn't get it off of a website. I got that from a friend. I have posted that before with no problem, but should I not post it anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs