U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM

30,206 posts, read 41,289,859 times

Advertisements

I just made dog food. Each time it is something different, but this batch was :

6 pounds yam @ $.32 a pound = $1.95
1 gallon milk $3.50
1/4 pound brown rice $0.15
20.20 pounds pork $29.90
18.96 pounds pork $28.06
1/2 pound of cooked cereal $0.50
4 pieces of cake that nobody wanted $free

total $63.56

That will feed the dogs for about 40 days.

It's been a long time since I bought commercial dog food, but $50 a bag isn't too far out of line. The last bag I purchased was $70.

Costs from batch to batch vary hugely. Fish is expensive and shrinks a lot so doesn't give you much dog food for the money. (But I want them to eat fish occasionally). In the summer, home grown fruit and veggies go into the dog food. Not really free, but not a grocery bill, either.

They just finished a batch that was cheese sandwiches with egg custard poured over and baked. Eggs are cheap, the cheese is not.

They get dog food made out of giblets when we butcher birds. It cost me money to raise the birds, but giblets would be thrown away of the dogs didn't eat them.

The price of meat just took a very sharp increase. So, my dog food costs me more, but because the price of meat just went up, I suspect that the price of quality dog food has also gone up.

I'm not saving money, but I don't think I am spending a lot more and it is worth the time, effort, and money to me to make sure my dogs don't get a bag of recalled commercial food.

(Pork was $1.48 a pound, was $1.36 just last month. Beef should jumped over a dollar a pound just in the last month. I predict it isn't going to get any better)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM

30,206 posts, read 41,289,859 times
Wyatt McRiot is always starving. He is an air fern and it is a battle to keep the lard off of his sides. He can't be fed more than he is getting even though he is desperately hungry all the time.

My son has suggested that I get a bag of Old Roy and give him a big scoop on top of his meat. The theory is that it contains no nutrition at all, so won't make him any fatter.

I suggest that a scoop of pine shavings would do the same and I already have the shavings.

(That's a joke, for those of you who don't recognize it as such)

Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 PM

14,378 posts, read 17,010,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wyatt McRiot is always starving. He is an air fern and it is a battle to keep the lard off of his sides. He can't be fed more than he is getting even though he is desperately hungry all the time.

My son has suggested that I get a bag of Old Roy and give him a big scoop on top of his meat. The theory is that it contains no nutrition at all, so won't make him any fatter.

I suggest that a scoop of pine shavings would do the same and I already have the shavings.

My dogs once got into another dog's supply of Ol' Roy and immediately engaged in explosive diarrhea (like an hour later, forreal). They both ended up at the veterinary ER on IVs. Good times!

The amusing part was that both dogs were garbage trucks - they would eat literally ANYTHING and suffer no significant consequences. But the only thing that ever leveled them was a particularly low-quality dog food.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,310,946 times
How much is your time worth? Do you factor that in when you cook all the food?

Are you concerned with your dog's nutrition? Cake?

Many of today's premium foods have all the natural / fresh stuff, plus they add in vitamins and other nutrients.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 PM

2,630 posts, read 3,170,959 times
I would seriously leave out all the dairy in your dogs
diet.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 11,341,593 times
I cook for my diabetic dog "Moe". He gets a "low carb" diet of chicken breast, cauliflower, Broccoli, green beans and low sodium chicken broth.

Chicken breast = 11.00
Veggies = 6.00
Broth = 1.79

18.79 and this lasts about 8 days. That is about 2.35 per day or 1.18 per meal as I feed him twice a day. The canned diabetic dog food is around 2.75 per can and would require a can and a half per day or 2.06 per meal.

It is expensive either way but he will not eat his special diabetic dry food without wet food placed on top. Either I cook for him, buy the more expensive canned food or put him down.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,975,365 times
I too wiuld skip the dairy...unless its GOATS milk...
dogs are actually lactose intolerant and dairy is wastefull, they cannot digest the protein in COWS dairy (lactose)
goats milk is much more easily digestable, but still not ideal as a primary part of the dogs diet,
im also conserence about the amoutnof grain (bread, cake, rice, cerial) dogs are NOT designed to eat gran, youd be better to up the meat and yams and leave out the cerial completely...
while I personally dong feed veggies for anything more than a fun treat, id much rather add COOKED veggies than all that grain!

Quote:
Many of today's premium foods have all the natural / fresh stuff, plus they add in vitamins and other nutrients.
And all the junk, fillers, chemicals and RECALLS! too!
Even some of the best brands are going through recalls, true most are for isues more a risk to human than the dogs eating it but still...

Old 12-25-2013, 12:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 8,887,315 times
Well, if Oregonwoodsmoke wants to put milk in the dogs' food, so be it. We're not dealing with an inexperienced feeding newbie here. I don't feed dairy (except for a morsel of cheese now and then) because it causes terrible gas, but some dogs do fine with it. Besides, one gallon of milk divided by multiple dogs over 40 days comes to only about 1.5 ounces a day per dog, if you have two dogs. And what's that? Two tablespoons? Not a big deal.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:55 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,438,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Haha. Seriously though, our vet suggested veggies for our dog, specifically cans of salt-free green beans. Our lab was a food-hound, and always hungry, and occasionally he got chunky. Veggies helped.
We figured out he loved fresh veg, so he always got the end bits of whatever we were chopping: cauliflower, bell peppers, carrots, cabbage. He especially loved broccoli, and if he got a piece of floret instead of stem, well you'd have thought he was getting a whole steak. He'd run off and eat it in private. So funny.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:01 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,438,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I cook for my diabetic dog "Moe". He gets a "low carb" diet of chicken breast, cauliflower, Broccoli, green beans and low sodium chicken broth.

Chicken breast = 11.00
Veggies = 6.00
Broth = 1.79

18.79 and this lasts about 8 days. That is about 2.35 per day or 1.18 per meal as I feed him twice a day. The canned diabetic dog food is around 2.75 per can and would require a can and a half per day or 2.06 per meal.

It is expensive either way but he will not eat his special diabetic dry food without wet food placed on top. Either I cook for him, buy the more expensive canned food or put him down.
For years I cooked for my dog. She came to us as an older puppy with very specific tastes. After fighting for years to get her to eat dog food, I relented and just cooked meat and added a bit of brown rice to it. She loved it.
Our other dog developed diabetes, and was put on expensive vet-prescribed kibble. I thought it was crap, but it was the only thing I could keep him stable on. He did well for two years, and eventually we lost him to a neurological condition.
In the meantime, our girl decided she liked his crap kibble, so now she's still eating that, but I supplement her meals with cooked meat.
So, I feel for you! We do what we have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs