Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM

634 posts, read 897,047 times

Advertisements

I'm temporarily staying with my Mom and her new husband, my Dad died a few years ago; the dog is a Shihtzu that my Mom and Dad bought together, it's the family dog and I feel a certain amount of responsibility for it's well-being.

Like most dogs it's protective of it's territory and when somebody walks past the house the dog runs to the window and barks, I think it's natural and it doesn't bother me. But my Mom's new husband yells at it constantly and it's driving me crazy, to the point where I'm thinking about just getting out of here and going to stay someplace else.

Am I overreacting? Is it any of my business? So far he hasn't spanked the dog, but if he does I've made it clear to my Mom that I will take the dog and get the bleep out of here. Do these type of issues break up families? Because there's a good chance it will break up this one, her husband is one of those gruff alpha-male types, I don't think my Mom will confront him about it, it's HIS way or the highway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,186 times
Tell him when he yells the dog thinks he is joining in on the barking so what he's doing is counterproductive. Try to block visual access to what is going on outside (close blinds, block windows with barriers, etc.) Keep your dog busy chewing on bully sticks and licking frozen peanut butter stuffed kongs. Please read this and pass along the insights to your mom's husband: Barking | ASPCA

Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,925,382 times
It may not be along the lines of abuse or anything, but as "k9coach" said above, it is completely counterproductive! They just think you're joining in on the fun, and will usually increase their barking & stress level if someone yells. Instead, try praising and/or treating the dog when it is QUIET - then pair your praise/treat with the command "quiet" (said in a calm tone). Trust me, that works a lot better than yelling or punishing the dog for a natural behavior (barking). I used those techniques with my dog, and even living in an apartment, we've never had any complaints about his noise level.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
You need to lay down the law to this creep. Tell him when he deals with your mother and your mother's and father's dog he doesn't make the rules. Either he realizes it's not his house (it isn't, is it?) or he needs to hit the trail. Don't let either your mother or your dog be subject to this abuse. I know this is your mother's fault but she's apparently weak; you'll need to do her fighting for her.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
YELLING at the dog doesn't equate abuse, (and doenst mean hes goign to hit them)
most people with consistent barkers yell at the dog...now if it turns to spanking, aboslultly get the dog out of there, (though realy your mother would need to stand up to him about that...)

howevr yelling as already pointed out is counter productive...the dog simply thinks your "barking" along with it, and that obviously their barking must be justified if your joining in...

teach him how to teach the dog by redirection and a calm positive attitude.
and in the mean time YOU can work with the dog too.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,657 times
No offense but I think your Mom made a mistake in marrying this man..
Get out when you can.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
The thing is, it's not your house, your relationship or your dog. Unless your mom gives you the dog, or there is actual animal cruelty involved, this is not your business.

On the other hand, you have every right not to like your new stepfather. Just go stay somewhere else.

I have to admit, it sounds like the dog could use some training. There's a new alpha dog in the house. Hopefully, they'll work it out (the two alpha dogs, I mean).

You could send your stepdad a nice new DVD on how to train dogs not to bark, maybe.

Other than that, I think you need to butt out and get out of there. Sounds horrible having a constantly barking dog and a man constantly yelling at the barking dog. I'd turn homicidal!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
If you move, you should take the dog with you. The dog won't stand a chance with your step-father there. Your step-father doesn't have to spank the dog for the dog to know that he is not wanted in the house. With you gone, it's like losing a sibling and he is left to fend for himself (herself) because your mother will not stand up to your step-father. You are not overreacting and it is your business. Your parents originally adopted the dog together and your dad must of loved this dog and would not have wanted him treated in this way. I hope your step-father grows to like the dog more, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. The tension will just keep growing.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
IF hes acting this way about a small dog barking I betting hes abusive to you mom.. Being abusive dosnt always meant Hitting could be yelling demanding & saying hurtful things. I be more worried about your mom than the dog..since hes not hitting it. Could be he doesnt like the dog cause it was your dads dog. & maybe IF he is other wise ok. Taking him when you move would solve the problem. Talk to your mom & find out how things between them & if it is just the dog offer to find a place for both of you. IF hes being nasty to your mom try to get her help.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,789 times
WOW!!!!!!!! People, Really???
When did yelling at a dog to quit barking turn into a wife beating abusive man?

. It's pretty obvious you are not comfortable there, and don't care too much for your mothers husband.. and that's fine. Move.

or

Grow up and work with the dog. Teach it to not bark at people who pass by the house, it may be natural but it's not necessary!! That constant barking at everything that moves is annoying. Teach the dog to watch quietly.

You are a visitor in their home, either help train the dog, make the situation better or move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs