U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,514 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has 2 dogs. She feeds them a lot of people food. I've seen her feed them bacon, sandwiches with mayo on it, hamburger (no buns) from fast food. When they go to a mexican restaurant, she brings them home their leftovers. One of her dog (black lab) is slightly overweight.

We have a dog and 5 cats. The cats gets no people food (unless they get into it on their own LOL). Our dog only gets a piece of turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other than that she get no people food.

My question is can people food shorten a dog's life?

Thank You,

Bernice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,044,642 times
When you think about it, "people food" scraps created the domestic dog in the first place.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,972,475 times
People food must be just fine, they make human quality pet food don't they. Isn't all the dog food the same things we eat? Reading the labels it seems so. My dogs have gotten table scraps for 65 years of having dogs. If they caused any deaths, they died dang happy. Some got chubby others didn't. Depends on the activity of the dog. I have two now, one chubby the other not, both get bites of most things I eat, and some scraps but not chocolate, raisins, onions or large amounts of fat.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,681,524 times
Dog owners should be more concerned about the horrible crap most commercial dog foods are, than whether or not some table scraps are harmful.

It's funny but when we board a dog and the owner brings some of this junk kibble my dogs won't even sniff the bowl and once the boarding dog has tasted some real dog food it won't sniff it's own kibble any more either.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
ZSP

1,665 posts, read 4,720,653 times
My five dogs eat a high quality grain free kibble but get lots of human food as well...fruits and veggies and usually a small bite of whatever we're having.

I make a "mash" from sweet potatoes, carrots and apples as a food topper...they get a spoonful of that every evening. I'm in total agreement with "lucknow" about crappy commercial dog foods.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,925,628 times
My Depression Era Grandparents never bought food for the dog, or cat. Animals got fed table scraps, with a bowl of corn mush, or rice.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM

16,799 posts, read 36,856,952 times
Black beans, cabbage and canned pumpkin are people food, and Nanners gets a portion of all three twice a day.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM

11,697 posts, read 17,037,921 times
My mutt does not get any people food or table scrapes that he can identify as coming from the table. I made the horrible mistake of once giving him a small piece of Swiss cheese from a slice and now, he can hear the refrigerator’s cheese draw open while out back, under the leaves, fast asleep.

Whenever he got people/table food by mistake, it's burned into his memory for ever. He remembers that 5 years ago, Aunt Francy dropped a piece of meat loaf on the floor and whenever she’s over, he's begging for his meatloaf. Cousin Ed can't even have anything with peanut butter without Hank shoving his head into his belly looking for that taste of and accidental crump of PB&J.

No, Hank needs to only associate food with his food or he will never ever leave us alone.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 AM

107 posts, read 135,847 times
I give my dogs "people" food, but do it selectively. Their "people" food is generally prepared specifically for them and put in their dishes at the counter.

Although I do not label myself as a vegetarian, I eat very, very little meat; so most of the fresh meat that I purchase is for the pups and other members of the family. I set aside the dogs' portions and they get their meat raw. If there are leftovers from dinner (which is rare), the dogs can usually have them...unless someone has salted or put hot sauce or something like that on it.

All of my pups love cucumbers, so I cut one up and let them have it as a treat when I am juicing vegetables for the family. My puppy goes crazy for cherry tomatoes, so I let her pick the ripe ones out of the garden to play with and eventually eat.

I suppose it all depends on what you label as "people" food, but I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding our pups some of the same things that we eat. That said, nobody (human and dog alike) is eating bacon and mayo sandwiches here...too much salt and fat at one sitting.

Last edited by ldydrgnfly; 01-04-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,532,054 times
the big issues with people food are not from the food itself but the junk people do to it...

the added chemicals, colors, and salts are an issue...
as is FRIED food

a burger is fine....
a burger that's been made out of beef scraps, bleached to remove the flavor, then chemically treated to make it taste like beef again...not so much
chicken is fine...chicken that's been deep fried...not so much
mayo is fine...the stuff most places call mayo made out of hydrogenated vegetable oil and a chemical mess is not
nothing wrong with bacon in small amounts but in large amounts its HEAVILY salted during the curing process so in large amounts can cause issues...

leftovers you've got to be carefull with, especially when its form a resutaunt, dogs should have onions or large amounts of garlic, both of which can be main ingredients in many resturaunt flavoring cabinates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs