U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,260,657 times

Advertisements

In short, I just got a call from the rescue through which we are planning to adopt a petite German Shepherd, "Annie". She bit a visitor in her foster home today. Visitor was apprehensive about the dogs (Annie and her foster sister) and when she came out of bathroom she encountered the 2 dogs in a dark hallway, screamed and was nipped in the thigh by Annie.

Apparently she has never shown any aggressive behavior towards anyone. My rescue contact was not in the home when it happened and she's shocked by the event.

We have 2 kids at home and they do have friends coming and going. Am I crazy to not pull the plug on this adoption right away? Annie is skittish but apparently is quite warm and loving once she gets to know you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM

5,907 posts, read 5,456,112 times
If you didn't have kids, were committed to this dog, and understood that you had to watch this dog very carefully around visitors, maybe. But yes, you ARE crazy to consider taking this dog. She will bite a child in your home.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM

8,571 posts, read 16,623,541 times
Saying she WILL bite .... is a little harsh but given the circumstances under which she bit, I'd say a house with lots of commotion and noise is not a good fit. Would she work in another situation where there's less chaos (to the dog)? Most likely. Does she need someone to work with her a little more to increase her confidence? absolutely - and a home with lots of children coming and going is not a good fit initially.

I would think for all concerned, including the dog, that a different home be found for her - one that's quieter and less prone to noise. I suspect the stranger screaming was the precipitator for the bite.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,260,657 times
I stepped away from the computer for a bit and common sense took hold of me…and you guys confirmed it. Thank you. I agree; ours is not the home for her.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,577,880 times
Pull the plug on the adoption. A herding breed ( Shepherd) with now a known nip/bite history in a home with children who have friends coming and going is a disaster waiting to happen. Herding breeds can be nippy under certain circumstances.

When you have children, especially neighborhood children in the mix, you don't need a dog which is
" skittish". These dogs are may be fine for adult only homes with people who have had many dogs and know how to train and deal with them. IMO they are not a good choice for your situation.

You have children to consider. A dog that needs time to warm up to people is not a good fit for a home with kids running in and out, especially if it does not know the kids. The dog just demonstrated why that is not a good idea. I''m really surprised the rescue would even suggest this dog for your home. Yes, they did not know she would bite, but they did know she is nervous around people.

I would suggest you find a nice, sedate, laid back, fully adult dog that is known to have lived with children before and who likes kids.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,677,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I stepped away from the computer for a bit and common sense took hold of me…and you guys confirmed it. Thank you. I agree; ours is not the home for her.
Good call, don't worry they will find a home for the dog as it's already in foster care as opposed to being in a shelter.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 AM

14,383 posts, read 16,173,384 times
I think with two children in the home, you should just avoid any dog described as "skittish," even without the biting. For myself, that wouldn't deter me at all - I have no kids, and the dog would only have supervised contact with people other than me or approved adults. It also sounds like kind of an odd situation that the dog found herself in.

But you're making the right decision. Look for a more friendly and confident dog.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 PM

453 posts, read 1,440,573 times
Good decision. May be a great dog, but doesn't sound like a great dog for YOU.

Keep looking, there are plenty of dogs out there that will be better fits

Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM

18,817 posts, read 27,978,206 times
If you are like me, it will be pure torture to not take her home with you, but you're right to turn this one down. So sad. But she will be perfect for someone looking for a good watchdog.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,094,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Good. Please also do not adopt a GSD. They are a powerful breed, probably the most intelligent dog there is, a serious breed (in temperament)and need an experienced owner. I'm not a fan of having them with kids. either. AND IME, a female will bite faster and with more accuracy than a male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs