U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 AM

158 posts, read 403,729 times

Advertisements

Last night we received keys for our first home purchase! There was a small electrical issue that the city somehow let pass that I was working on. The wife took our dog out back to go potty, and the neighbor's dog jumped the fence. My wife was able to get inside with our dog before the neighbor dog made it over. He/she looked like it was the first time he/she had done it, as he/she wasn't very skilled in it.

We let the neighbor dog calm down before going back out there. My wife went out alone and knocked on the neighbor's door before anything else. Then she came back and the neighbor dog was now in our front yard. He seemed skittish but my wife allowed him/her to smell her and baited him/her back into his back yard with treats.

Honestly, it seems as though the dog just hasn't been socialized. However, in such an instinctively protective breed (looked like Akita/Chow mix) that could be an issue.

Other than calling animal control, is there anything else we can do? We are going to attempt to make contact with the neighbor, but they seem pretty removed and appear to keep their dog outside most of the time. I am hoping they are good people, but if it comes down to it, I will be building a privacy fence. However, I would want the cost to be shared.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,030,930 times
You said the dog jumped the fence. What kind of fence and is it their fence or yours?

It could be excitement on the part of the neighbors dog. Once the dogs know each other and the neighbor does something to stop their dog from jumping the fence, all may be OK.

What are your thoughts about letting the 2 dogs play in a shared yard?

If you're considering an invisible fence at the property line with collars on both dogs, I doubt it would stop an Akita.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 12,994,058 times
If the neighbor's dog is friendly and my dog liked playing with it, then I would let it continue to jump the fence and the neighbors could figure out how to get their dog back each time. Maybe they would get tired of the problem and do something about it?

And in my area the city limits fence height to 6 ft., if your fence is already 6 ft. high and that is your city's height limit, then not much you can do about a higher fence.

So far as sharing costs, people who are irresponsible with their pets are not likely to pay for half of a fence.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 101,169,863 times
It's the first incident, and you're thinking of calling animal control?

Oh, my. You're going to get off on a bad start being a new homeowner.

It sounds like the dog was just super excited to see a new dog neighbor. Find out if your dogs get along. If they are friendly together and enjoy playing together, this might not be as terrible as you think.

You're not going to get someone to pay half for you to have a privacy fence. Give up that dream.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

20,418 posts, read 42,418,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
I am hoping they are good people, but if it comes down to it, I will be building a privacy fence. However, I would want the cost to be shared.
Want them to share the cost of YOUR fence?
No way that will happen!

You want it... you pay for it.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM

7,159 posts, read 8,402,276 times
However distasteful, you have to move hard and fast with these sorts of issues. Many people simply let their dogs outside and whatever else happens....running around the neighborhood, pooping in other people's yards, barking up a storm, or chasing the kid's bicycles up and down the street seems to evade their consciousness.

The fact that you knocked on the door and apparently no one was home, but yet the dog was still outside, gives you some sense of what you are dealing with.

Who owns the fence? If it is the neighbor, that MIGHT be a positive and you can help them to repair/reinforce/improve it so their dog doesn't get out. That doesn't, obviously, stop the barking.

Try to speak with the neighbor. If they don't "get it" (their dog has NO business in your yard under any circumstances) and act like tools, then check to see if you have an HOA which restricts these things ("pets must be under the control of the owner if they are outside"). If that doesn't help, then check the local laws...which are probably similar to what an HOA would have (dogs have to be on a leash if they are outside).

Move hard and fast after you have tried to be neighborly. Get the animal control people involved quickly. Chances are if the people will let their dog run around untethered, they are not the kind of people you want in your neighborhood anyhow. If they get pizzed off, so what? Maybe they will move. Otherwise you have to exert your ownership and right to be 'dog free' regarding other people's pets.

I like dogs, but it really annoys me when I have to listen to barking dogs, see them crapping or peeing in my yard, see them digging in my gardens, or have them romping around my yard. It is MY yard. It is private. And YOUR DOG is not welcome. Don't let them make you feel like a 'bad person' because their dog is overrunning you and you don't, for whatever reason, like it.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM

6,388 posts, read 8,330,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The fact that you knocked on the door and apparently no one was home, but yet the dog was still outside, gives you some sense of what you are dealing with.
Depending the set-up and the weather, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
That doesn't, obviously, stop the barking.
The OP didn't mention barking so we don't actually know if there was enough of that to complain about.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 8,302,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
You said the dog jumped the fence. What kind of fence and is it their fence or yours?

It could be excitement on the part of the neighbors dog. Once the dogs know each other and the neighbor does something to stop their dog from jumping the fence, all may be OK.

What are your thoughts about letting the 2 dogs play in a shared yard?

If you're considering an invisible fence at the property line with collars on both dogs, I doubt it would stop an Akita.
Dogs are naturally territorial, and their "territory" is whatever they can see, fence or no fence, so it's likely the dog was just excited to see a newcomer. That your wife was able to approach the dog says that he/she is pretty friendly.

Let the two dogs get to know one another, preferably through the fence (it sounds like it might be chain-link that the neighbor dog was able to scramble over). Once the other dog realizes that your dog "belongs" next door, there's not likely to be any issue.

As for the dog being in his yard with his owner(s) not being home, if the weather was decent and he had some shelter (like a pet door into the garage), there's no problem. My dog has the run of the backyard, the back porch and a pet door into the house all summer when I'm at work.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM

15,616 posts, read 22,350,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
...it seems as though the dog just hasn't been socialized. However, in such an instinctively protective breed (looked like Akita/Chow mix) that could be an issue.

An Akita or a Chow or, even worse, a combo of the two, that wasnt properly socialized when younger will never be trustworthy -- especially around other dogs. I truly love dogs and was a dog trainer for 25+ years but I would have called animal control too if I were unable to contact the owners.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM

158 posts, read 403,729 times
I have edited my OP to include the following:

- The fence is owned by the neighbors. We do intend to build a privacy fence, but for now, it is not an option. Possibly this summer.
- The weather was damp, and every time we have been to the house, the dog was outside (always friendly to us).

We do not want to start off on the wrong foot with our neighbors, obviously. This is why we did not call animal control. Also because we did not feel threatened after the initial event of him jumping over the fence. Of course, I am not sure what would have happened had we re-introduced our dog to the situation. Also, ours is still a puppy (almost five months), and needs a lot of training from us until she will be ready to be introduced to a dog in that setting. Once we get her to reliably stop jumping up on us, and biting (though to an extent it is normal, as she may be teething), we will be socializing her at dog parks. A dog park, I feel, is a bit better of a situation than, say, between a dog without its owner around and your puppy that is just super excited to see anyone and anything.

Should be an interesting first month, especially if the neighbor dog is never inside...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs