U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,357,544 times

Advertisements

Chocolate the pit bull finds an ally in television star (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,317,806 times
Though Millan is a great source of education and makes a great point of keeping a dog a dog, I also know that hollywood has gone to his head too. He wanted to be famous and that's what he got. I know people who got to meet him and he was disgusted that they weren't there to get his authograph but to ask him questions. I think he has a lot to offer us in training and leadership, but take it with a grain of salt too.

As for the pitbull side of the story, which was supposed to be the main reason for the article, I think there are many stories like Chocolate's in other cities like Denver. That's why when I research towns to live in, one the first thing I have to look for (unfortunetely) is are they judgemental towards pitties, shepards, or any other breed. Sad that we have to do taht now.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,411,851 times
I think you need a whole tablespoon of salt to get through Caesar...some of his ideas are foolhardy, and he's come under fire for not exactly telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I just mostly have issues with him for making it look like anybody could do what he does - and some things even he shouldn't be doing...I do agree with keeping the dog lower in the family pack, but that's about where he and I part ways. You are correct, though, Deegers - if you use the leadership stuff that is really just a spin down on good old common sense, there's a lot to learn. I also think my dogs take issue with me wanting to keep them dogs, though...Millan is all about not humanizing your dog - too late on this home front!

Loved this quote from the article, though....

Their position is bolstered by respected national organizations like the American Veterinary Medical Association, which addresses the breed issue in its Dog Prevention Message Points: "There is no such thing as a bad breed of dog. All dogs can bite if provoked. Responsible dog ownership is key."

and this:

"Banning a breed is no different than banning a race or a culture," Millan said. "It's a ridiculous state of mind. It contradicts the beauty of this country."

If Millan went to Walter Reed and took a dog, he just went up a notch in my eyes!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM

273 posts, read 1,280,220 times
Caesar Milan is like the Chris Angel or David Blaine of the Dog world. They only seem to be able to do extraordinary tricks on tv where editing is easy, or where they can show ONLY the good stuff and never the bad. You know how many dogs caesar sees to get only one that works out perfectly to actually air on his show. I would say for every 15 dogs that they tape Caesar trying to "whisper" that only 1 gives the results that they desire and then they air that dog making him look like a dog genius. Its like levitation on tv, looks good but you know its exaggerated for a "wow" factor.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,317,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think you need a whole tablespoon of salt to get through Caesar...some of his ideas are foolhardy, and he's come under fire for not exactly telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I just mostly have issues with him for making it look like anybody could do what he does - and some things even he shouldn't be doing...I do agree with keeping the dog lower in the family pack, but that's about where he and I part ways. You are correct, though, Deegers - if you use the leadership stuff that is really just a spin down on good old common sense, there's a lot to learn. I also think my dogs take issue with me wanting to keep them dogs, though...Millan is all about not humanizing your dog - too late on this home front!

Loved this quote from the article, though....

Their position is bolstered by respected national organizations like the American Veterinary Medical Association, which addresses the breed issue in its Dog Prevention Message Points: "There is no such thing as a bad breed of dog. All dogs can bite if provoked. Responsible dog ownership is key."

and this:

"Banning a breed is no different than banning a race or a culture," Millan said. "It's a ridiculous state of mind. It contradicts the beauty of this country."

If Millan went to Walter Reed and took a dog, he just went up a notch in my eyes!

Here, her! (lifting up my glass to a toast) Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds him over the top. I know a lot of people are all starryeyed when they talk about him. But that's just it. They are starry eyed. Something goes on TV and poof! He's AMAZING!!! You know those people didn't pay much attention to their own dog trainers or we'd all be movie stars.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 33,939,566 times
The Pit Bull aspect of the article was very good, I thought.

The breed is maligned and needs the kind of level-headed endorsement Milan provided in the article (and I'm no Milan fan).

Thanks for the link LingLing .

Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 PM

768 posts, read 2,024,449 times
Yes, it's nice to see an article that isn't clamoring to destroy the breed. It's a shame the author couldn't check on how to spell Cesar Milan's name correctly, but that's just one of my pet peeves about expecting information in news articles to be accurate. (So frequently it doesn't happen.)

Thanks for the link, LingLing.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,357,544 times
I am glad that you like the article. I like the idea that a pit bull is able to go back to her home no matter where it is.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM

768 posts, read 2,024,449 times
I do too. I also like to hear of what others are doing to fight breed-specific legislation. It was interesting to read the writer's perspective of the legislator's responses and their pertinence (or lack thereof) to the issue of BSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs