Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Above all, when you do decide on another pet, DO NOT USE BANDIT as a measuring stick.
Bob, I think this is good advice, and this is one of the reasons I haven't gotten another dog yet. As I stated in my original post, I have a lot of fear when it comes to getting another dog, and I AM afraid that I will compare any future dog to Bandit. At least in the beginning. To some extent, I think that's natural, but I'm also hopeful that those comparisons would be short-lived. Every dog is a unique personality.

I wound up not going to the adoption event this weekend. The event I was going to was for a rescue organization in a nearby state which rehomes SOME Siberians, but they're not a true Siberian Husky rescue. I know that I want my next dog to be a Siberian. My family has had 7 of them, and I really like that breed. So instead I found a Siberian rescue org in my state, and I made application. (Boy! What an application! that was long!) They haven't responded to me yet, but I decided that was okay. I'd rather take more time and find the right dog than rush into something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
I like when a rescue group has a long application process, especially when they ask for references and actually check them. It is intimidating, but if done right, can help get the dog in the best possible home. You are right to be slow and cautious. Our babies are with us for a decade or more...it is not a decision to be taken lightly.

The one year anniversary of the death of my sweet Shadow is in 2 weeks. I was so devastated by her loss that I went several months with no dog for the first time in my life and fostered a different breed (knowing I wouldn't get too attached). My foster moves on to her new life this weekend.
Best of luck with your application...hope you find your heart dog!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
I can also understand you hesitation. I had my first dog on my own back in the 90s. She was an Alaskan Malamute. When she died, I was crushed. It hit me so much harder than I thought it possibly could. Now it's be 15 years or so since she has been gone. I think I am about ready for another dog. Take all the time you need.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Above all, when you do decide on another pet, DO NOT USE BANDIT as a measuring stick.
I know that may be hard to do, but it is extremely important if you and your new dog are ever going to have any kind of relationship.
The new dog will have it's own characteristics, and qualities.
It is up to you to deal with these, and make the home comfortable for both of you.
Bandit is gone, and you can't bring him back through another dog.
Just love the new one as you loved, and continue to love Bandit.
Bob.
Bob is so right on! My sister had a collie for 16 yrs when he died it broke her heart and she went years without a dog then one day she got a new dog. It was not a collie or even collie like well the dog was not perfect and needed some training and in her mind her collie had been perfect from day one so she was ready to get rid of the new dog. I went to visit and I connected to her new dog and saw the diamond in the ruff and knew she could be a great dog. I really pushed my sister to give it time , go to obedience and even agility classes with her and to let go of her old dog as no this dog will never be that dog! Then I even went as far to tell her that by the way her collie did not come to her as a perfect dog as I remember his puppy years and how upset she would be with him and how she had said his name should have been Bad dog. Once she and the new dog started working together in classes things started to improve and now they are agility partners. The dog is rather spoiled and means the world to her but yeah it took work and it took letting go of the collie and the misbelief that he had always been such a good dog to get there.

I myself have no problems as I have always been able to see a dog for the individual it is and it has been each individual that I love not something that reminds me of an old dog. I had Jazz my once in a life time dog and I doubt if I will ever have that same connection to any other dog but she was not an easy dog and was a ton of work and to be honest I am happy that neither Dazzle or Chaos has been anything like her as they have been such easy dogs. They are not Jazz and never will be. I will never have that same connection to them and I am ok with that and happy for that too as Jazz was indeed a once in a life time type and she still lives in my heart. She taught me what I needed to be taught so I do not need that lesson again and instead enjoy what these two teach me. Like people each dog has something new to teach us if we let them.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Does this link work: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3640600&type=1

Just got off the phone with the rescue. The lady I spoke with said that as she was reading my application, she kept thinking that Ryder would be perfect for me. She described him as laid-back, calm, quiet, sweet, good temperament. She said he's not clingy, just wants to hang out. Not bossy or dominant.

He's heartworm positive and currently going through treatment, but she said he's not a severe case.

So! I'm driving to meet him this weekend. We'll see if it's a love connection.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Good luck! Hope it's a match!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 PM

189 posts, read 326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Bob is so right on! My sister had a collie for 16 yrs when he died it broke her heart and she went years without a dog then one day she got a new dog. It was not a collie or even collie like well the dog was not perfect and needed some training and in her mind her collie had been perfect from day one so she was ready to get rid of the new dog. I went to visit and I connected to her new dog and saw the diamond in the ruff and knew she could be a great dog. I really pushed my sister to give it time , go to obedience and even agility classes with her and to let go of her old dog as no this dog will never be that dog! Then I even went as far to tell her that by the way her collie did not come to her as a perfect dog as I remember his puppy years and how upset she would be with him and how she had said his name should have been Bad dog. Once she and the new dog started working together in classes things started to improve and now they are agility partners. The dog is rather spoiled and means the world to her but yeah it took work and it took letting go of the collie and the misbelief that he had always been such a good dog to get there.

I myself have no problems as I have always been able to see a dog for the individual it is and it has been each individual that I love not something that reminds me of an old dog. I had Jazz my once in a life time dog and I doubt if I will ever have that same connection to any other dog but she was not an easy dog and was a ton of work and to be honest I am happy that neither Dazzle or Chaos has been anything like her as they have been such easy dogs. They are not Jazz and never will be. I will never have that same connection to them and I am ok with that and happy for that too as Jazz was indeed a once in a life time type and she still lives in my heart. She taught me what I needed to be taught so I do not need that lesson again and instead enjoy what these two teach me. Like people each dog has something new to teach us if we let them.
Lol, isn't it funny how we have a short memory about our dogs? The love of my life is currently a 13 year old shephard/basenji mix. He is the best dog in the world. I also have a 2 year old terrier/collie mix that has tried my patience in a way I didnt think possible. I often call her "bad dog".

But when I really think about it, my old boy was a real pain those first few years. I've just forgotten about the trying times because the rewards, loyalty and love have outweighed the frustration I felt those first few years.

The 2 year ols is coming along, slowly but surely.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Well, I HAS A DOG!! His name is Ryder, which is the name the rescue org gave him, and I think I'm gonna keep it. (Although he doesn't seem to know that its his name.) He's about 2 years old. He's pretty calm and laid back, but has a little bit of adolescent bounce in him. I don't know too much about his personality yet, but he's handling the transition well so far. He's currently sleeping on the floor behind the couch. I'm sure he's worn out from today -- I was at the rescue site for about 2 hours, getting to know him, and then we had a 3 hour car ride back home. (He puked in the car about 5 miles from home. One more reason why a wagon is an awesome car for a dog. I've already washed the blanket he puked on. Good as new.)

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-15-2014, 04:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Wishing both you and Ryder years and years of healthy, happy times together. If he's as wonderful as he is good looking well you got yourself a great dog.

So answer this - who's luckier, you or ryder?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
He is a beautiful dog! I wish you many long years together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs