U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 90,877 times

Advertisements

Back in October we decided to adopt a puppy from Animal Control in North Philly. I absolutely fell in love with a puppy who would later become our little guy Winchester. He was in a cage with his mother and only remaining sibling (the other two had already been adopted). Momma was very obviously an Australian Cattle Dog mix, thought she is what I believe is called a red heeler as she was more red/khaki than her pups. Winchester definitely has the ACD intelligence, coloring and behavior. On more than one occasion he has outsmarted his dad.

We are just wondering what he might possibly be mixed with? Winchester seems to be displaying a lot of behavior usually seen in hunting dogs. When I was a kid, we had beagles, labs, and hounds galore and I not only see the beagles specifically in his temperament and overall look, but he is almost as vocal as some of our old beagles. This dog, however, has a nose on him that would have rivaled some of our best hunting dogs. I'm amazed. He also seems to be doing some pointing.

When we adopted him they said he was an ACD and most likely terrier but terrier seems like such a broad term in the dog breed world? He is ridiculously smart--I think he is stealing the Outsmarting the Humans award from my husky. He was housebroken within 2 weeks of bringing home at under 4 months. Crate training was ridiculously easy--almost too easy. He has beaten/figured out every puppy puzzle game I have gotten for him within minutes and gets bored with them easily.

Figuring out what he is won't really change the way we love, adore, and raise him. I really just want to challenge him appropriately. We are currently trying agility and he seems to love it (he just sees it as play time) but I feel we could be throwing more in to the mix. He is obsessed with birds. We took him to Petsmart the other day and he just parked himself in front of the bird cages and completely ignored all the other dogs trying to get his attention!

Any ideas?? Whenever we take him out people have told us anything from beagle, lab, etc to something as far out (to us) as him being a GSD mix!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,029,688 times
If you're really serious about finding out, why don't you just do one of the doggy DNA tests. Anything you get from any of us is just speculation and could be 100% wrong.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,098,555 times
I DEFINITELY see some hound in him.... best guess would be beagle.....

and yes, the heelers are smart... I have a 9 y/o red heeler mix girl who is the love of my life......

have you checked around to see if there are any herding classes around you?? that might be something he would enjoy, too.... there is one place about 40 miles from me that I think uses sheep to work and train the dogs.... and maybe some frisbee training?? you have to keep these little smarty pants engaged and occupied, or they will find their own entertainment....

my girl is absolutely fascinated by the birds and by the fish tanks at PetSmart and PetCo.... we must make sure we visit each area when we go....

and your little fella is absolutely to die for handsome.... love that sweet little hound face with the heeler markings....

Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,969,974 times
id say daddy was probably a hound mix, some beagle/harrier with mabe a splash of coonhound

Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
have you checked around to see if there are any herding classes around you?? that might be something he would enjoy, too.... there is one place about 40 miles from me that I think uses sheep to work and train the dogs.... and maybe some frisbee training?? you have to keep these little smarty pants engaged and occupied, or they will find their own entertainment....
Yes, he is very good at finding his own entertainment. For the most part he is pretty good and is excellent at playing with himself. He plays catch with himself whenever we give him one of his busy bones or rawhides. It's kind of funny to watch.

I actually, might look around to see if I can find any herding classes now that you've mentioned it. He is very much so a herder when we play outside, and he nips like crazy when he wants us to pay attention to him inside and outside. I hear that this is an especially hard habit to break in heelers? That is... if you can even manage to break them of the habit.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,098,555 times
my girl would only nip when someone was running around the yard.... but she did try to herd the dogs at the dog park when we would go....

there is another poster here that goes by dashdog .... she had an ACD mix dog named Jazz who was quite a personality... hoping she will see this and chime in with some more ideas for you...

I fostered a border collie mix fella for a few months several years ago.... another breed to smart for its own good.... he would nip all up and down my legs in an effort to get me to play.... NOTHING I did was successful in getting him to break that habit.... he wound up being adopted by a very dog-experienced couple, so I'm sure he did just fine....

Old 03-03-2014, 12:02 PM

729 posts, read 1,422,040 times
I was on the hound path too but something makes me wonder if there is Jack Russel in there?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I was on the hound path too but something makes me wonder if there is Jack Russel in there?
You know, someone else mentioned this to us in the line at Petsmart the other day. He said his dog as a kid was a jack russell/german pointer mix that looked very similar to our dog.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

14,378 posts, read 16,999,027 times
I'm going with hound or pointer of some sort. I feel like a JRT would have shorter legs.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM

8,874 posts, read 13,508,726 times
There are definitely some pointers with similar color and pattern on their coats. Cool looking dog.

I had a Australian Heeler/yellow lab mix as a kid and that was a good dog. He definitely liked to herd things. He would follow me the whole time I mowed the lawn, running up to bite the wheels of the mower occasionally. His paws would be green by the time we were done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs