Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone else out there that does not give their dogs many baths? Dazzle will be 6 in Aug and Chaos is 3 and neither has had more then 3 baths in their life time. They go to the beach they play in mud and even have been wading in some swampy type water on walks at times but by the time they get home they tend to be dry so I brush or comb them and that is it. ( no they do not have short slick coats) They shine and have no odor as they eat healthy food and get a ton of exercise. Some lady was petting them and snuggling with them today and asked what I bathe them with and I laughed and said they have not had a bath for over 1.5 years and she got sort of upset that I do not bathe them My dogs have healthy skin, healthy coats, no odor so why should I give them a bath? So many people I know have dogs with skin issues besides diet I think people over bathe their dogs and dry up the natural oils. Someone asked me how much I spend grooming my dogs and the answer is very little if any!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
I usually give Sophie a bath a couple times a year and she isn't stinky either and has a nice coat. I mostly do it to help along the shedding process, she loves a good scrub and then rolls in the grass.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,887 times
I bathe my dog only when necessary (when she is stinky due to accidents or too much time in the pond). She usually winds up getting a few baths per year (2-4?). My previous dog got approximately 6-8 baths in his entire 15 years of life, though.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
I don't do it unless I have to due to rolling in stinky stuff or something like it. I just do good brushings every week.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I usually give Sophie a bath a couple times a year and she isn't stinky either and has a nice coat. I mostly do it to help along the shedding process, she loves a good scrub and then rolls in the grass.

I hear you there as I use to give Jazz a bath as soon as she started blowing her coat, being a double coated dog it was a good way to get much of it out especially when I used the high power blowers on her to dry her. I use a self wash place and was always happy I was not the one that had to sweep up as man her hair flew everywhere it was like a blizzard in there one time when I had her on the drying table and on another table was an aussie being dried. There was a man with a lab in there and he got very annoyed because of all the hair flying around with the two dogs being dried.

Dazzle and Chaos both have single coats and their hair is longer so they do not shed enough that it requires a bath/blow dry to help with the shedding.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,661 times
My dog isn't a stinker, and her hair and skin look good, so she will get a bath about 3 times a year. Good thing, since she hates baths.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
I also don't bath my dogs often. Usually 1-3 times a year. I brush them and clip them regularly.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
none of mine get baths in the winter unless they have gotten into something stinky.....

Bailey has kind of oily skin... it has improved with being on thyroid medication, but still a bit oily.... so she will get a couple of baths in the summer.... in fact, she needs one now to help her blow that undercoat.... I used to take her to a self wash place, but since her knee injuries, we haven't been there.... although I might just do that this week....

the three little dogs can be done in the kitchen sink .... Bailey and Dave get there's on the deck with the hose.... Dave and Chico could probably go the rest of their lives with no baths.... but Roxie and Max get into too much dirt.....

Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
the cresties are regularly bathed but that's because as a breed they NEED it (their pores get clogged ect just like ours)
but keira my dobe, shell be an "as needed" basis, even as a working service dog I find all I need ot do is whipe her with a babywhipe once in a while and shes sparkly, but im sure good diet plays a part in that too.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM

173 posts, read 155,420 times
I had a Yorkie previously and he got bathes once a month, right before we put his flea medication on. He was quite the stinker though. Hated baths, loved the blow dryer. Weird little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs