Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

My dog is a basenji she's 10 yrs. old and she won't stop peeing in the house. The strange thing is she only does it at night. I just took her to the vet 3 weeks ago and she's as healthy as can be. He checked for UTIs and checked her kidney and liver for stones...nothing. She Pottys outside all day long, she's constantly thirsty and I hate to see her go thirsty so I did give her lots of water all day long then cut it down at night. Just in the last month it's getting worse and worse, everyday me and my husband are cleaning the kitchen floor and all the rugs in the kitchen. The weirdest part is she used to wake us up in the middle of the night if she had to go but not any more, and it's not like she's peeing all over the house it's only in the kitchen where the door is that she's uses to go in and out to potty. We don't know what to do I even bought pee pads and she won't use them instead she chews them up which is out of her character to. I know she's old but where do we go from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM

729 posts, read 1,511,712 times
Did your vet do a complete blood work up? At age 10, you will start seeing a whole host of issues. If she is very thirsty that sounds like diabetes to me.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 2,223,974 times
Yes,sounds like diabetes to me too.
Have her blood sugars checked with full panel blood work.

I have found annual checkups aren't worth anything unless you have blood work done.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
Diabeties or Lack of hormones & she leaking in her sleep! Take her BACK to the vet! Or find another Vet!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,344,406 times
Get a doggie door.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM

857 posts, read 2,223,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Diabeties or Lack of hormones & she leaking in her sleep! Take her BACK to the vet! Or find another Vet!

Yes find another Vet is good advise/

Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,353,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merazecho View Post
My dog is a basenji she's 10 yrs. old and she won't stop peeing in the house. The strange thing is she only does it at night. I just took her to the vet 3 weeks ago and she's as healthy as can be. He checked for UTIs and checked her kidney and liver for stones...nothing. She Pottys outside all day long, she's constantly thirsty and I hate to see her go thirsty so I did give her lots of water all day long then cut it down at night. Just in the last month it's getting worse and worse, everyday me and my husband are cleaning the kitchen floor and all the rugs in the kitchen. The weirdest part is she used to wake us up in the middle of the night if she had to go but not any more, and it's not like she's peeing all over the house it's only in the kitchen where the door is that she's uses to go in and out to potty. We don't know what to do I even bought pee pads and she won't use them instead she chews them up which is out of her character to. I know she's old but where do we go from here?
How about a diaper? Or make sure you take her out as late as possible. I have a 15/16 year old dog and have to almost carry her out at night before we go to bed or she will be up pacing the kitchen. She is blind also.

Maybe crate her with wee-wee pads?

And about those pads. I have young pups too (fosters) and use pads for them just in case. I bought a store brand the other day and they just tore those things up! They don't do that to the Hartz brand. So no more store brand pads. No real price difference, they were out of the Hartz.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,455,825 times
Yep....back to the vet.

And ask about these...our old girl did great on them.

Proin for Dogs Chews & Tabs - Urinary Incontinence Aid - 1800PetMeds

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,265,568 times
That is the age when both my 'senji's were diagnosed with diabetes. I'd have that checked if I were you.

Other than that, where does she sleep? I would see if you can get her to sleep in a crate at night.

Diapers might work, but if she's anything like my 'senji's she'll eat them (much like she does to the pee pads).

I would say take up the water around 8pm and make sure she goes out before bed, but if she's having trouble with thirst, that's just not right.

I've also got an older dog who I think is starting to go a little senile (10 is a little young for that, especially for a basenji). But that could be playing into it a little - stress and new things and maybe a hearing/sight problem. Maybe make sure she gets a little extra exercise before bed so she'll sleep through the night.

But I would definitely get the blood checked for diabetes.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,457,120 times
My oldest daughter once hired a pet psychic whose solution to every problem with a pet could be solved with "Psychic Counseling". Ol' Dad put the kibosh on that idiocy. I suggest avoiding a non-vet for advice. However, there are quite a few folks on this forum who seem to know what they're talking about.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs