Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

858 posts, read 2,994,036 times

Advertisements

Canidae sent me a sample of their All Life Stages dry, and it sure is small bites.

I have a 92lb Lab, and he's always had dry food which was large enough that he had to chew, which I always thought was good as it helps to clean his teeth.

We had him on proplan, now on science diet, and was looking for a top grade food.

Do you guys think the Canidae All Life Stages dry is too small for large dogs?

Am I right in thinking that the larger kibble helps clean their teeth?

Is there another top brand that is larger? Innova?

Thank you,.......marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
The store where I work sells Eagle Pack, Blackwood, Canidae, Innova and Innova Evo and all kibble are close to size. According to our nutritionist kibble is far better than wet food as a daily diet, chewing on rope toys, bones and the like are where the cleansing of the teeth come in along with brushing them on a regular basis

Also, carrots or baby carrots are great in reducing tartar and freshening the breath.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Have had good things about Canidae but haven't fed it, Innova is another good one but neither are easy to find in my area. Other companies make large size kibble, am only familiar w/ Nutro who also make a tartar-control kibble (as well as biscuits). I would think larger size kibble helps clean their teeth b/c they have to chew it more so than just gulp and swallow a smaller size kibble but would probably check other brands as well to see what other tartar control kibbles are out there (if that's your goal), hopefully they would have the edge over a regular large size kibble.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM

40 posts, read 204,343 times
Our little dog eats Innova Evo and loooooves it. Once we switched over to this food her coat got so shiny. Our large dog was on Gravytrain but it gave him horrible gas, so we switched him to a senior food (hes only 5 but has the guts of an old farty grandpa haha) and those bites are much smaller than he used to have but he seems to be fine with it.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,023,832 times
my two (110lbs and 85lbs) eat Barking at the Moon by ummm.... oh the name escapes me. It's small kibble and they've never had any trouble eating it and have nice healthy teeth. Stolicakes gravytrain is mcdonalds for dogs. who wouldn't have the guts of an old grandpa after eating that stuff for years.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
I think Barking at the Moon is by Solid Gold, an excellent kibble. Would also stay away from Gravy Train.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Elwood is about 150, almost 4 years old, and does fine on Canidae.
But he is a very delicate chewer and eats slowly.
His big sister was always a gulper, and she did bloat once. (I think she was predisposed to bloating, though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs