Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,455,825 times

Advertisements

About six weeks ago we had to put our house dog Angel down. (spayed chocolate lab)

I still cry many times during the day.

We looked on the internet and found a breeder that looked like someone raising good puppies and sent $200 for a deposit on a black female that was just born.

We went to see the puppies about a week later......I could not crying when I held the puppy. The breeder told me she wanted me to wait for the next litter to be born mid April. She was right.....I think I would have made a puppy sad.

About three years ago my hubby got a hunting dog....I did not want one but, he gets me anything I want so....what could I say???

We got Rip....I wanted him in the house....at the time I posted what a nightmare that was. Hubby kept telling me Rip was a tool...not a pet. He was right.

On Rip's last hunt he got into a porcupine.....they thought they got all the quills out but, one was still broke off in his foot.

They vet had to sedate him to get it out. I did not want to put him back in the kennel that night so I had hubby put the medium size carte in the lower level family room.

To shorten this up.....Rip is doing great in the house. He is loose in the house during the day.....not one time has he accidents.

I think I have my new house dog.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,241,154 times
I am glad things have worked out for you. But I have never understood why some people treat their dogs differently; some can come in and some must stay outside. All dogs would prefer the company of a family.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am glad things have worked out for you. But I have never understood why some people treat their dogs differently; some can come in and some must stay outside. All dogs would prefer the company of a family.
Thanks. I thought so too.

First.....you should know we have a licensed kennel.....when AC checks it every year....they call it the "Dog Castle".

They have both indoor and outdoor runs......the indoor run near their coops has a heated floor.

The first time I bought Rip in the house he almost went though a picture window.

Then I tried raising a hound puppy in the house....as soon as Karma saw (and heard) the other hounds she made it clear she want to be with them.

Our hounds are bred to hunt in a pack.

Why Rip is being so good???? I don't know

I also wonder what will happen when he hears the other dogs or, goes hunting with them.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,095,290 times
I'm glad to hear Rip is being a good boy and hanging out with you. I guess a few years have shown him that the house is a nice place too, hopefully he'll spend more time with you. Though a new lab puppy in a couple months might be nice also.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
Watch him tho cause once hes healed he might turn into the old Rip LOL But I glad he is ok.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Mostly going good with Rip...he is free to roam the house most of the day as long as I am home.

He has not messed in the house once.

Today he went on the full run with other dogs, around 15 miles...his foot is fine.

We did have one issue....and I know this was my fault...I just did not think.....I am used to my laid back labs.

I leave dry food out all the time.....most days Rip does not touch it.

Today he was eating some....then took his foot and dumped most of it on the floor...I said his name a little loud and he went in an entryway and laid down.

I started to pick up the food and put it in the bowl.

Rip came in the began to eat.....I picked up another handful of food and he almost bit me in the face.

I guess he could have got me if he wanted to.

It did scare me.....I will never to that again.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
Kinda hard to train a dog trained to kill to respect a mear human. After all Bears are bigger then humans! He never be a trusting pet... Hope there no kids around esp when hes eating.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 AM

3,607 posts, read 9,095,290 times
I think you're right that he would have bitten you if he wanted to, but a scary moment nevertheless.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I think you're right that he would have bitten you if he wanted to, but a scary moment nevertheless.
I am just so very glad my husband did not see it.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,490,405 times
K9 coach has posted a great piece on dealing with food aggression. If Rip is going to stay in the house, I think you'll have to deal with this issue, better sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs