Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,417 times

Advertisements

We adopted a 7-year-old rescue Dachshund about a month ago. He's very quiet, really calm and affectionate around new people, doesn't bark at dogs or squirrels when we walk around the neighborhood, even though every dog we encounter will bark at him. We thought maybe he was mute until one day he met my mother-in-law's cat, and barked at her. That was one time in a month we've heard him bark! So it really surprised us when we came home from dinner this weekend to an anonymous note on our door that simply said, "The barking must stop."

We had no idea our dog was barking while we were gone. He does not bark when we leave, and he is not barking when we come back home. We walk him around the neighborhood in the AM before work, again at lunch time, and again when I get home around 4pm. So he gets exercise throughout the day, and is only left alone for about 4 hours at a time during the day (with toys, water, and comfy sleeping spots). I'm wondering if he's bored, or anxious, or what. Since he never barks when we're there I seriously have no idea.

I feel terrible for being "that neighbor" with the disruptive dog, so I left each neighbor (still not sure who it was, nobody answered their doors when I knocked) a note apologizing for the annoyance and letting them know we would be working on it. We also mentioned we are moving out in less than a month - to a place with concrete walls, thank goodness. I hope that gives them some hope for a light at the end of the barking tunnel.

Has anyone had success with reducing a dog's barking while he's alone, when he doesn't bark any other time? If he barked while we were home, it would be a great opportunity to try some techniques like squirt bottle, etc, but since he never barks around us I'm not sure how to proceed. We got him a Thunder Shirt, and I will be picking up a huge yummy bone that he will get only when we leave the house. I'm hoping that will keep him occupied while we're gone. Any other suggestions from folks who have been through similar situations are more than welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,418,811 times
Does he have a strong food drive?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't call it strong. He'll eat his full bowl of food in the morning, and then in the evening we feed him about the same amount and he'll eat a bit, then go do something else, then come back. We got him to take meds with peanut butter, but then when we tried filling a small KONG toy with peanut butter, he wanted nothing to do with it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,418,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar15 View Post
I wouldn't call it strong. He'll eat his full bowl of food in the morning, and then in the evening we feed him about the same amount and he'll eat a bit, then go do something else, then come back. We got him to take meds with peanut butter, but then when we tried filling a small KONG toy with peanut butter, he wanted nothing to do with it.
Try feeding him in the KONG. As in, you leave him with a Kong that's been in the freezer and stuffed with wet kibble and peanut butter. It might keep him occupied and distract him from the fact that you're not around.

Try crating him and leaving him with the Kong.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,445,799 times
Another thought, try Rescue Remedy, you can get it at the local health food store and just put a drop or 2 on a biscuit or in his food, it's supp. to relax them and is all natural. Also, leave the tv or radio on, that helps too. If you crate him, would advise getting a wire crate as they feel more a part of the room than in a dark plastic one and of course they afford better ventilation than a plastic one, they have used ones on Craigslist all the time. Hope some of this helps, good luck

PS if he's not used to the crate, feed him in it and he'll prob. come to like it, also put in a comfy blanket or towel and some good toys he gets when he goes in (we used to put their dog bed in the crate, in fact we have one in the car (crate w/ dog bed in it), they're fine in it (our 2 go in together but they get along great, wouldn't put 2 in tog. unless they're very familiar w/ each other - and I know you have 1 but am just posting that in case someone else wonders).

PPS good about the thundershirt, never used one but heard good things about them, for storms as well as other situations. there's also a spray-like diffuser that plugs into the wall and emits a spray that's supp. to relax them, you'd put it in an outlet where it's not blocked by furniture so it can permeate the area, cant rem. the name of it but im sure they sell it at PetsMart, PetCo etc, that might work alth. they're not cheap (under $50 I think, might try that last, lol).

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,356,695 times
Your dog is most likely exhibiting separation anxiety. Here are some things you can so to help:

Desensitize him to your departure cues. This means practice picking up keys, putting on coat, whatever you normally do when leaving the house, and then just sit on the couch and hang out. You want him to get to the point of no longer having much response to the departure cues.

Short absences are very helpful. Leave the house as normal but just drive around the block and return without fanfare. Departures and arrivals should be low-key. We don't want to associate heightened emotion with your coming and going. The ideal way to get a dog over separation distress is to start with these very short absences and gradually increase time away. Long absences do impede progress but mixing them with very short ones helps. This dog has been abandoned at least once already. He has that experience in his his history so he is predicting he will be abandoned again. When you leave and just drive around the block and return, it helps convince the dog that when you leave, you likely will come right back so no need to worry.

Give him something to focus on when you leave the house. Try a BusterCube, a puzzle game, or a kong stuffed with peanut butter (put in the freezer overnight so it will last longer).

See if the Thundershirt helps. There is a money back guarantee so definitely worth a try.

Leave on classical music or a cd specially designed to calm dogs: Through a Dog's Ear

DAP plugins

Play the magnet game to reinforce the idea that calm behavior brings you back to him and anxious behavior keeps you away. Once he catches on to that concept, raise criteria and require longer and longer periods of calm in order for him to earn his reward of you returning. Here is a general idea of how to play the magnet game:

1) Dog is tethered, owner stands at a distance.
2) Calm behavior draws you to him like a magnet.
3) Hyper or anxious behavior repels you.
4) When your dog remains calm long enough for you to make it all the way to him he gets a soothing massage.
5) Reset and repeat.

No commands are given. The dog learns that his choice to behave calmly is what earns him the reward.

Avoiding eye contact may help your dog remain calm. Try this if your dog is having trouble catching on to the game. Act very casual and observe him from your peripheral vision.

Initially, reward the slightest try in the right direction. If your dog goes from straining on the tether to not straining as much, reward that with a step toward her. As he catches on to the game, gradually raise your criteria as to what qualifies as appropriate calm behavior.

You can use a variation of the magnet game if the dog is particularly bonded to one person. That person can go outside the house while a helper observes the dog inside. As soon as calm behavior is exhibited the helper alerts the owner to return. I use walkie talkies for this exercise. Gradually increase the length of time calm behavior is required in order to bring the owner back.

Film when you're away to monitor progress.

Here is some more information about separation anxiety: Separation Anxiety | ASPCA

Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM

850 posts, read 3,723,079 times
I had a similar situation as you with my dog, and I understand your frustration completely! I had no idea my dog was howling and barking until the neighbor in my duplex said that she cries every time I leave. The first thing I did was record my dog with my iPhone to see exactly what it was she was doing. She consistently starting whining after 8 minutes. I tried several things including the kong and crating (she was terrified of crating). They did not work.

I did as the other poster said and started making very short but frequent leaves from the house. I would walk just down the block to where I could hear her and then come back. The important part is to come back BEFORE she starts crying. The idea is that you have come back before she gets nervous. Slowly you can increase the time until she's no longer concerned that you have left because she knows you'll be coming back. It could also be that she's in a new home and isn't used to it.

Do you have a yard? My dog seemed to do better when left outside and she rarely was upset when I would leave (My neighbor was very helpful and we tested this).

Within a few weeks, she was fine when I left regardless of the length of time. Keep in mind that when you move, you may need to do this process over again.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Thank you all for the really helpful suggestions! I appreciate all the feedback and have some great strategies to try. Last night I tried the "cue desensitization" - I put my shoes and purse on, and I could see my dog get all hyper. Then I just sat down on the couch. He looked at me like, what is going on! I will keep trying this while I am home, along with the short absences/little fanfare when I leave and return. My sister is a dog behavior whiz and as she put it, "Don't throw him a party when you come home."

Sobefobik - glad to hear I am not the only one who's gone through this! Sadly we don't have a yard, but our new place will have a patio that he can hang out on while we're gone. You're right that we'll have to go through this all over again in our new place, but luckily our walls are very thick so I'm hoping no neighbors will be disturbed. With these tips I'm hoping we will also be able to acclimate our doxie to his new pad more quickly.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,461,365 times
Get him a Thundershirt! $40 for a miracle.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM

19,876 posts, read 12,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar15 View Post

Sobefobik - glad to hear I am not the only one who's gone through this! Sadly we don't have a yard, but our new place will have a patio that he can hang out on while we're gone. You're right that we'll have to go through this all over again in our new place, but luckily our walls are very thick so I'm hoping no neighbors will be disturbed. With these tips I'm hoping we will also be able to acclimate our doxie to his new pad more quickly.
Will the patio be enclosed? Just checking as I would never leave a small dog outside unsupervised as he would be vulnerable to predators as well as someone could steal him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs