Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM

7 posts, read 9,164 times

Advertisements

My dogs are on their last bagof nature's domain beef from costco. I dont see shiny coats and they dont really like it. The kibble will stay in the one bowl all day between two dogs. I have miniature poodles. I used to use Iams and innova with my previous poodles and saw great shiny coats with it, but i was trying grain free with these new dogs since i adopted them. They have only been on grain-free since i transitioned them fromthe shelter's pro plan. I want to choose a new brand now so that i can slowly transition them with the new bag. Should i give up grain-free or try nature's domain salmon or go back to iams? I have a puppy and an adult so would like the food to meet all life stages in one bag. I do add coconut oil, yogurt and cottage cheese sometimes, but still no glossy coat. Any suggestions, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
The first food we picked for our puppy was Taste of the Wild which is grain free. We get comments on how glossy her fur is and how healthy she looks. We occasionally mix with soft food as a treat, but she even likes the dry food plain.

However, we still give her things I've read controversial opinions on like rawhide.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM

7 posts, read 9,164 times
Thanks, we did taste of the wild first. It is essentially the same thing as the Nature's Domain. I mix their food with natural balance can. But i didnt see the glossy coats then either.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
I only use grain free because our older dog has a lot of skin issues. It does seem to help her.

Other than that, I would probably just use a regular high quality food.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
I didn't really notice much of a change in coat with ToTW either...now they eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness and everyones coats look fantastic. Downside would be its not a great food for dogs who put on extra weight easily and its fairly expensive though I don't have to feed them as much of it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not feeding grain free...it could all be a marketing gimmick in the end...who knows. My dogs seem to love it though which is basically why I feed it.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
it may just be the protein sorce try lamb or fish based

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I feed TOTW Lamb and Rice formula as that's what my dog has always been on. I used to feed the Bison TOTW but my current dog would get gassy on it.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
taste of the wild and Fromm.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I think going grain free is overrated. My dogs are on Premium Edge Weight Management I formula, and it is a grain free food, but that's just because I have two Great Danes, one of whom is fat, and it has a high protein but lower calorie content, and it helps her feel full on less food. Grain free doesn't mean no carbs, since the dog food manufacturers replace the grains with sweet potatoes in most cases. I also like the Premium Edge because it is a decent price and it gets an excellent rating on Dogfoodadvisor. I'm not sure I buy the claim that grain free means less poop in the backyard, either. Shoveling doggie cowpiles is still my hobby They don't like the taste of the food, probably since it's diet, so I mix a little Evanger's canned food and they like the taste much better.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Our Bichon has terrible skin issues and grain free is the only way to keep her from misery. Even then we have to change around a bit. She likes and does well on Nature's Instinct Salmon. Anything that eats grain and in turn is eaten by dogs is similar to feeding the dog grain infested food. That is why we go with salman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs