Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times

Advertisements

Oky, long post. This is mostly a vent... I am open to suggestions, thoughts, criticism of how I've gone about things, different perspectives ect.

I've posted about my neighbor's dogs before. They bark all the time. They are huge dogs, and their barking is LOUD. I got some very good suggestions on this forum last year- put up reed fencing, squirt the dogs with water, give them small cookies and try to make friends with them.

I put up 6' reed fencing- it has helped! Their barking was reduced by it. It has been up for close to a year now. However, the St. Bernard still barks at us through it. The rottie still lunges at the fence occasionally. And yesterday they tore it up a bit- my neighbor patched it.

I have tried squirting them with water through the fence when they bark and bark at my daughter or my chickens. Not with a hose, mind you, just a little squirt bottle like many people suggest for correcting cats. Only when they get really bad. It works. However, my neighbor told me that by squirting the dogs with water I am being horrible and abusive towards her dogs. I no longer squirt them with water.

I have given them some tiny training size dog cookies on the rare occasion. They actually stopped trying to lunge at me over the fence when I walk by the one narrow section between our houses that connects my front yard to my back yard. But now my neighbor says if I give them cookies it will mess up their special diet- Beneful. No more cookies.

We had an argument over my chickens yesterday- that's how the fence got ripped, the dogs were trying to get into my yard to get the chickens which were in a locked coop (the chickens were **not** in sight of the dogs). I agreed to move my chickens clear across the yard, as far away from the neighbors yard as possible, and I did so immediately. I asked that in return, she try to control the dogs' barking throughout the day and train the to stop jumping on the fence (both of which were problems long before we got chickens). She flat out refused, and told me "good luck with that". As a side note, I have every legal right to have chickens on my property. I made sure of that before I got them for my daughter as a 4-H project. No different legally than having a dog, cat, or bunny on my property. She insinuated that by having chickens, I am tormenting her dogs. I'll concede that it's natural for a dog to want to chase small animals- of course I don't blame the dogs for doing what comes natural. But I also believe I have a right to have small animals and she has a responsibility to train and control her dogs.

So I guess I'm going to do a bark log and call AC. I have two dogs myself, I know all dogs bark but I can't handle her dogs' noise any more. I'm going to log my own dogs' barking as well for comparison.

So far today during the time I have been home, her dogs barking: 10:33, 10:35, 12:14, 12:19, 12:46, 1:15, 1:40, 2:00, 2:06, 2:26, 2:45, 3:22, 3:26.

My dogs have not yet barked today.

Am I crazy or would that amount of barking annoy most people? She has been home all day but has not once corrected the dogs for barking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,949,550 times
INGORE the NFH get a high powered water hose nozzle and use the water again.. if she cant control her yappers then you do what ever you have to .. I think a motion activated water bath would back them off the fence .. it wont shut them up but it will stop the fence rushing since the owner will not teach them better ..

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
Your neighbor is a jerk and you are far too nice. Keep a log, call animal control, she can easily put bark collars on them and teach them manners, hopefully animal control will help advocate for you. If you have a GoPro camera or some video/audio device I would record it all for AC.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
That situation would make my blood boil. Had to chuckle re her claim that hers are on a special diet - Beneful - lol, it's one of the worst foods out there - just about any treat w/h to be healthier but if they dont want their dogs to get the treats, I guess you'd have to abide by their request. Anyway, you got some good advice, I hope it works out, it's not the dogs' fault they're unruly, it's the owners'. Best of luck in getting some peace and quiet.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times
Thanks for the replies. She made me feel like the bad guy even though logic tells me I'm in the right. I would never try to hurt the dogs- it floored me when she said I was being abusive to them by squirting them with water. I've squirted water at my own dogs on occasion for getting into mischief and they're no worse for the wear.

It's nice to hear feedback from other dog owners. I personally would be embarrassed if my dogs acted like hers do. I've bark collar trained my dogs (actual training, not just snapped the collar on as a fix). I don't allow them to rush the fence, bark at neighbors, ect. They have sound recall and decent manners. I've been to training classes with them and they are both learning nosework. I would never EVER tolerate them trying to go after anyone's pet or child... it would be super doggie boot camp time!! I just don't get how she thinks those behaviors are acceptable?

I do feel awful for her dogs. She always goes on about how they're family, how much she loves them, ect. but they do indeed live outside and they get very little attention. She brings them in for maybe 1-2 hours after she gets home from work but then she puts them right back out. They sleep in a tiny shed that has a doggie door, year round. They are huge, high energy dogs and they are bored to death all. day. long. I think they are both only about 2 years old.

I do have a video camera and I do plan to record them. I'm done being nice. I'm just bummed about the whole thing.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
I sympathize..She sounds like a terrible neighbor.

I also do not like to hear dogs constantly barking....I think ppl that allow their dogs to stand out there and constantly bark are irresponsible.

I would call the cops....put a recorder out so that you can record them.....Most places have barking ordinances.

This neighbor better have good insurance....both those breeds can be aggressive, and it sounds like those two are.
Where I live, owning a rottie requires major home owners insurance, it is an ordinance. Check your Century code, or your city ordinances.

Any dog that lives next door to you for any length of time should stop barking at your appearance....These dogs are not being disciplined for barking at you at all. And, seriously, if your neighbor is arguing at you over the darn fence, they are picking up her aggression towards you. Any thoughts about an electric fence??

Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,043,659 times
Stop talking the neighbors, stop squirting the dogs, stop feeding the dogs and stop bowing to her demands...get AC on the phone today and ask them what you can legally do to combat this.

I'd be pissed if someone squirted my barking dog or fed my dog anything without my permission..not saying that their behavior is acceptable, it's not, but only the owner can modify their behavior...you're just pissing the dogs off with every shot of water.

You said you put up a fence...is a solid wood fence that they can't see thru? If not, it's time for a new fence.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 PM

857 posts, read 2,218,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Stop talking the neighbors, stop squirting the dogs, stop feeding the dogs and stop bowing to her demands...get AC on the phone today and ask them what you can legally do to combat this.

I'd be pissed if someone squirted my barking dog or fed my dog anything without my permission..not saying that their behavior is acceptable, it's not, but only the owner can modify their behavior...you're just pissing the dogs off with every shot of water.

You said you put up a fence...is a solid wood fence that they can't see thru? If not, it's time for a new
fence.

Have to agree.It isn't the dogs fault it is the owners and YES that barking would drive me crazy too!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
I hate people like that. We have four dogs in our house, and the barking is minimal - usually when someone is at the door or they are having supervised playtime in the backyard.

There are people in my neighborhood who leave their dogs out in their yard all day. I've walked past this one house where the St. Bernards are out at 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday. Of course, when I walk my dog past, these big giant St. Bernard's start bellowing. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live next to something like that.

It's not cruel to squirt the dog, for crying out loud! We do it all the time in our house when our dogs exhibit an undesirable behavior, and my housemate has vast experience fostering dogs. Look, you've tried to work with this crazy woman - call animal control and see if there are any other options left to you. I can't imagine what's happening is legal.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
What a terrible situation for you. I wonder if these neighbors would retaliate if you call in the authorities?

You could buy them bark collars ($100.00 each) and even give them new batteries once a year for Christmas or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs