Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,820 times

Advertisements

A little story.
My dear dog Mason and his sister Dixie .
Yes, I love big dogs !
Some of you may know that I adopted a Catahoula Mix (Mason) and my neighbor adopted his sister (Dixie). We have had them since July. They have grown quite large. Mason is at last weigh, 98 lbs. Dixie at 76 lbs., approx. 8 months old.

Christmas Eve,
We are outside spending the holiday with our neighbors, Mason and Dixie are in the fence playing. Everything is peachy keen, all having a great time.
I go to the house (which I have to go through the fenced area) to get something from the house. It is night fall. On my way back to the pavillion, I hear the dogs running, its a bit hard to see.They are usually very good about "where" they run, they only have an acre of fenced area to run.
I soon found out the path they were on.
Both dogs, head to head, chasing each other, run directly into the side of my knee.
Yes, they shattered my tibila at the knee joint.
I spent the rest of the 24th, the 25th, 26th and 27th in the hospital. Had surgery on the 26th.
So for Christmas, I received a shiny new plate and several shiny screws to rebuild my leg.
A wonderful present from the dogs I love so much.
I will be off my right leg for 4 months. No driving, no nothing.

Yes, I am dealing with some self pity at this moment. It is hard to loose your mobility. I think the hardest part of this injury is the mental part. Add to it that my husband works in another state and had to return to work. Thank god for my neighbors or I would be S.O.L.
I am not mad at the dogs, so don't think that. It was simply an accident. They will be able to play together again one day soon. "I" will just do thing differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Oh, my god!

You poor thing. I'm glad to hear you have some wonderful and kind neighbors close by to keep an eye on you. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Yikes! The dogs were just playing, obviously, but... YIKES!

I hope you heal quickly and easily! You've got some dogs to play with!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Puppies! What ya gonna do? I can see that happening to me, almost on a daily basis. My pittie mix runs with his brother the GSP -about 140 lbs total. And when they aren't careful about where they are running - well, you know the end of the story. So sorry about your knee!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Wow. I guess that I was really lucky when my choc. lab in play ran directly into my leg... his forehead smacked squarely into my shin. I got a huge bruise, and he was fine. He also used to knock me down. I took aspirin for a few days to prevent a blood clot situation. When I walk my big dogs and the conditions are slippery or questionable, I am always muttering to them "be careful and don't break the mom."

Mend fast! Get better soon.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I walk my big dogs and the conditions are slippery or questionable, I am always muttering to them "be careful and don't break the mom."
LOL! You sound like me. This morning, our driveway was a sheet of ice. I was tiptoeing carefully, but Artie was eager to GO! I told him, "if you get me killed, I'll be really mad at you, buddy!"

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
miu

I sometimes feel self conscious for being someone that likes to talk to my dogs in public. lol! On the other hand, my boyfriend has fun walking the dogs in the winter and sliding on the ice on purpose. He's also really good at car control in wet and icy conditions. He loves physics and dealing with motion dynamics. It's such a guy thing imo.

Well the good thing that came out of Bailey crashing into my shin was knowing that I still have excellent bone density!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
am always muttering to them "be careful and don't break the mom."
lol... !

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
miu

Well there is only one of me... and I am the sole source of all their meals. Right now, the five adult dogs all get different meals. Two of them are on diets, one to fatten up. At least the puppies feed from one big communal food bowl. So actually that makes six different bowls on the counter at mealtime and no way could I explain my recipe madness to my boyfriend.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I guess I give you a command I give the dogs "HEEL" or I guess we had better make that "HEAL!"

Sorry to hear about you little accident..some christmas present! Maybe you better explain to the two pups that humans are not bowling pins nor are dogs bowling balls? Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs