U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,904,477 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So, my boyfriend and I have lived in peace with our 4 cats and 1 dog (a 2 year old huskey/shepard mix) for the past 1.5 years. This past month, my boyfriend and I became long distance, with me keeping all the cats and him taking the dog. In the past few weeks our dogs prey instinct has came up. I guess when she is in the yard, she often kills and eats small animals (mice, etc) but yesterday at the dog park she attacked and ate something else that was bigger. I wasn't there, but my boyfriend said it was the size of a squirrel or something like that. He wasn't able to get to her in time to stop her (the dog park is a few acres). He is to the point that he said when we move back in together in August, he would be afraid that the dog would actually try to kill one of the cats. This is obviously concerning. I know that she has a natural predatory instinct, but how do we curb this so that we can live again together in peace? Before this, she would sometimes chase after squirels when she was on walks (leashed) but never ever hurt anything. Also, she won't see our cats again until we move back in together (I'm in Florida, she's in Chicago and there is no way we are flying her).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,047,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Hello,
So, my boyfriend and I have lived in peace with our 4 cats and 1 dog (a 2 year old huskey/shepard mix) for the past 1.5 years. This past month, my boyfriend and I became long distance, with me keeping all the cats and him taking the dog. In the past few weeks our dogs prey instinct has came up. I guess when she is in the yard, she often kills and eats small animals (mice, etc) but yesterday at the dog park she attacked and ate something else that was bigger. I wasn't there, but my boyfriend said it was the size of a squirrel or something like that. He wasn't able to get to her in time to stop her (the dog park is a few acres). He is to the point that he said when we move back in together in August, he would be afraid that the dog would actually try to kill one of the cats. This is obviously concerning. I know that she has a natural predatory instinct, but how do we curb this so that we can live again together in peace? Before this, she would sometimes chase after squirels when she was on walks (leashed) but never ever hurt anything. Also, she won't see our cats again until we move back in together (I'm in Florida, she's in Chicago and there is no way we are flying her).
you can train chasing your pets out of her.
Huskies have a very strong prey drive and should not be left alone w/ small animals. My brothers husky use to live w/ a cat. He never hurt her, just pushed her around w/ her nose. My friend has two rescue huskies,a bc, and a mini aussie and 5 cats ...everyone lives happily.

when she's good around the cats you praise and treat, when she's bad she needs a time out or something of that matter. Huskies are stubborn so she may take time or might catch on quick, depending on her mood. BUt she is a mix and shep. often protect their cats ...might work out great! I wouldn't worry about it until you are in the situation. Any dog can b taught to live among cats.
My Cody chases small things, he's never killed one tho. He gets along great w/ his kitty and only chases him when I say "where's your kittty?"

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,356,208 times
My 6 yr old female kills things outside (mostly snakes), but lives in relative peace with my parrots and my cat.

It took a few years of baby gates all over the house to get to this point though. Now, I can leave them alone in the house with no concerns - they even sleep together.

My new dog - an adult rescue - is "learning" to be gentle with the cat. I will not leave them alone unsupervised. It might take a year or two to get to the point where I feel the new dog is trustworthy.......these things can take time.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,995,259 times
I have a Jack Russell and a Corgi both breeds come from crittering small animals...they also live with THE QUEEN a cat...when first intro'd they thought they could chase her...she turned on 'em and basically said "make my day" end of chasing cat...LOL. The Jack and the Queen hunt as a pack and kill mice ect which is great on my acerage...no rodent probs here

Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM
miu

17,681 posts, read 38,567,983 times
My dogs seem to understand that my cats are off limits to chase, but if it's a neighbor's cat, they will give chase. I even had a cat that would catch wild mice and even chipmunks, but once our pet hamster got loose, she found it, cornered it but did not kill it. So I think once you and your boyfriend move back in together, just monitor the inhouse interactions between your dog and cats for a few days, then don't worry about it anymore. Plus your cats will be marked by your human scent too.

Another reason, my cats aren't chased by my dogs is that they don't fear them. No no fear scent, plus they don't run away and instead hold their ground. I think that your husky must have his hunting instinct kick in once the smaller creatures start running away from him. Running away from a predatory dog is never a good idea anyway, even for a human.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,904,477 times
Thanks.
It's just sooo odd that this behavior just started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs