U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,225,036 times

Advertisements

So long story short, my 8 month old puppy has been 'dewormed' like 4 or 5 times by the vet, and yet, they keep popping up. They go away for a while, and then come back. It is either roundworm or tapeworm as I've seen them in her stool but I am leaning more towards tapeworm.

Is there any sort of medicine I can just buy on amazon or something that is recommended that will work? I'm sick of going to vet and paying a bunch of money when it's not actually doing anything.

She doesn't do anything that would contract a new case of the worms like eating feces or anything like that so it's not like they're gone and then she gets them again.

My other dog was dewormed in Michigan and never had an issue since then. I want that solution!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,298,234 times
We have been successfully using "Diatomaceous earth" to keep our dogs and cats parasite free for a long while now. Not only do we use it for internal parasites we dust the dog's fur with it and we have used no flea control products for 3 years. It's truly an amazing substance and everyone needs to know the benefits of it. We actually put it in our own food as it has many health benefits for people also.
Diatomaceous Earth - DiatomaceousEarth.ca‎

Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
We have been successfully using "Diatomaceous earth" to keep our dogs and cats parasite free for a long while now. Not only do we use it for internal parasites we dust the dog's fur with it and we have used no flea control products for 3 years. It's truly an amazing substance and everyone needs to know the benefits of it. We actually put it in our own food as it has many health benefits for people also.
Diatomaceous Earth - DiatomaceousEarth.ca‎
due to being in NYC i've heard all about that stuff and how awesome it is. But dogs can ingest it and it'll get rid of any worms living inside?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM

I've been looking at Drontal Plus, anyone have any experience with that? Is it really just give it to the dog one time and they're good to go?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,678,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
So long story short, my 8 month old puppy has been 'dewormed' like 4 or 5 times by the vet, and yet, they keep popping up. They go away for a while, and then come back. It is either roundworm or tapeworm as I've seen them in her stool but I am leaning more towards tapeworm.

Is there any sort of medicine I can just buy on amazon or something that is recommended that will work? I'm sick of going to vet and paying a bunch of money when it's not actually doing anything.

She doesn't do anything that would contract a new case of the worms like eating feces or anything like that so it's not like they're gone and then she gets them again.

My other dog was dewormed in Michigan and never had an issue since then. I want that solution!
Do you know how she's being re-infected? Because that is your real problem.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Do you know how she's being re-infected? Because that is your real problem.
I honestly just think that it's not working. I don't know when it's working or not working because there was worms in her stool, so I took her to get dewormed, and I guess that stuff that they use kills the worms, but can't kill the eggs, so then you have to go back in after two weeks to get them killed again before they can lay more eggs. So I'm just assuming that this method isn't working.

After the deworming there is still worms in her stool which makes sense because they have to come out of her body some how, but even though they were supposed to be killed, they would come out and still be moving...

So I'm just assuming that this method didn't work. My vet has been amazing with my other dog and everything else. This is the only thing that's just not working out right.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,211,418 times
First you have to figure out what kind of worms the dog has. Did you bring the stool sample to the vet ?

Round worms are white and look sort of like short pieces of spaghetti. They may be stretched out or could be curled up. Tapeworms are about the size of a grain of rice. They are white or creamy colored. They could be in the stool or around the anus and moving around or they could be dried up. If they are dried up, then they are tan or brownish in color and stick to the fur around the dog's anus.

I think your worming medicine is working, but you dog is constantly being reinfected. If she has tapes then she could be eating those dried up tape worm segments around her butt. If she has round worms, then she is walking through ground infested with round worm eggs, bringing them in on her feet and swallowing them as she grooms herself.

Figure out what kind of worms you're dealing with, then worm appropriately . And yes, you will have to do it more than once.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
First you have to figure out what kind of worms the dog has. Did you bring the stool sample to the vet ?

Round worms are white and look sort of like short pieces of spaghetti. They may be stretched out or could be curled up. Tapeworms are about the size of a grain of rice. They are white or creamy colored. They could be in the stool or around the anus and moving around or they could be dried up. If they are dried up, then they are tan or brownish in color and stick to the fur around the dog's anus.

I think your worming medicine is working, but you dog is constantly being reinfected. If she has tapes then she could be eating those dried up tape worm segments around her butt. If she has round worms, then she is walking through ground infested with round worm eggs, bringing them in on her feet and swallowing them as she grooms herself.

Figure out what kind of worms you're dealing with, then worm appropriately . And yes, you will have to do it more than once.
It's most definitely tapeworms then. They're usually about the size of a wild grain of rice but shrink and elongate while they are still alive. I've seen a couple hanging from her anus after she goes, so I guess cleaning her self would be how she is recontracting them. Unfortunately I can't be there all day every day so if she goes while I'm at work and one is left hanging and gets it, I can't do much. She doesn't eat her own feces though so I know she isn't getting it from that method.

They just popped up again yesterday after a decently long period of not seeing them, and then after that I haven't seen them again, but she is having diarrhea now after being a perfectly healthy pup for a couple months.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,211,418 times
Tapeworms- Drontal would work. Do it at least two times- First time, then three weeks later.

You can also buy a product called Tradewinds ( which is essentially the same thing) over the counter without a prescription. Works fine. Make sure sure you buy for the right weight of dog.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,298,234 times
A cat showed up here a couple of months ago with the worst case of feline tape worm I have seen. We put the DE in his food for the last 6 weeks or so and he is completely free of any parasites. Unlike most worm meds the DE kills the parasites in all stages of their development. We are registered breeders of Standard poodles and so it's extremely important for us to have our dogs parasite free. As I sit here writing this I'm drinking a smoothie with two tablespoons of DE in it. It has other great properties besides killing parasites. It is very high in trace elements that are particularly important for skin and coats, hair in our case, LOL. It is a very excellent cleanser of the entire GI tract and detoxifies it as well. It's very inexpensive and effective. A good friend of ours has her 10 horses on it now and is saving thousands of dollars on the almost constant worming her vet had her doing.

If DE is such a great product for all of these applications than WHY is it not more commonly used? That seems like a reasonable question and if you investigate, you will find it's big pharma that suppresses the truth. There is no money in it for them so therefore in their mind it's "snake oil".

I hope that you all realize that pharma worming products are ALL highly toxic poisons. Since I have a safe, inexpensive and actually healthy alternative I would not give my animals worm medicine if it was given to me for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs