U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:50 AM

27,194 posts, read 20,328,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The world is full of Azzhats. Just ignore them and forget them. Life is too short to allow them any influence.
The world is full of wonderful, interesting and beautiful people. Enjoy their company, cultivate them and be a good friend to them.

If I had a dollar for every stupid and ignorant thing that has been said to me about my dogs and cats I'd be a wealthy man. To me their ignorant comments are like water of a duck's back.
True, and even though I've encountered some real pieces of work in my life, I guess I still get taken aback when someone acts so arrogantly, or stupidly, or just invites themselves in to my life to insult me. I do not understand people like that, and I guess I never will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM

29,198 posts, read 25,790,777 times
Quote:

Has anyone ever had someone argue with them about their dog's enjoyment level
or age before?
No, but I'm glad to hear that other dogs whine like that when they are excited. I have a 6 mo. old German Shepard and anyone might think she is being tortured when I get home and we have our little lovey huggy time.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,690,716 times
Yeah I have had people tell me my dogs do not like something because they have been so excited that they are making strange noises add to that when we go to the leash free beach if I do not get Dazzle off leash fast enough and he is excited he spins donuts in the sand while on leash and shreiking in excitement. People seem to think I am torturing him but truth is he is in heaven as he LOVES the beach and loves running in the waves an everything else about the beach. People also mistake his excited hound sound when he sees other dogs he wants to go meet as he belts out this sound that only other hounds seem to get.People seem to think he wants to come eat their dog not meet it. There is nothing aggressive sounding or in his posture he is howling not growling or even barking. People that own sight hounds probably all know that excited sound ! In the 6 yrs I have had him he has never met a dog he does not like as he is a lover not a fighter.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,523,460 times
oooo if I had a dollar for every stupid comment ive heard when out with my dogs.
with the dobe its the usual "oh shes mean" (despite he standing perfectly calmly not making a squeak) and those dogs brains get too big for their skulls and they go crazy" to "hey lok at the hound dog (because shes natural eard she MUST be a hound, all dobies have sticky up pointy ears didntcha know!

with the cresties though....oooo those get fun...
I get it, cresties are unusual but...
jasper is an African painted dog cub apparently...and ruby is a poodle (cause shes white!)
they both have manage or insert other random skin condition here because "dogs don't come with no fur"
jasper who is very stranger warey apparently LOVES people (no realy hes growling and shaking and some woman insists that hes excited!, no lady he wants to eat our face and your insiting on trying to put it in his personal space!)
and hes "just a puppy" (hes 6) because only Chihuahuas can be that small...
and ruby is just a puppy because shes cute (shes 8 now lol) oh no...im mistaken...

Ive come to the conclusion when walking my dogs I suddenly must forget my dogs age, breed, gender, lies and dislikes and name...(I had one lady insist my girl cant be called Keira because that's not a Doberman name...WHAT?!)

and apparently IM the crazy one!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:43 PM

14,381 posts, read 16,412,084 times
When my Catahoula starts his shrieking and yodeling "Dog Park" song, no one tells me what his mood is. They just grab their beloved pooches and run away.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:17 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,702,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzdefector View Post
when my catahoula starts his shrieking and yodeling "dog park" song, no one tells me what his mood is. They just grab their beloved pooches and run away.

:d

lol!!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM

29,198 posts, read 25,790,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Yeah I have had people tell me my dogs do not like something because they have been so excited that they are making strange noises add to that when we go to the leash free beach if I do not get Dazzle off leash fast enough and he is excited he spins donuts in the sand while on leash and shreiking in excitement. People seem to think I am torturing him but truth is he is in heaven as he LOVES the beach and loves running in the waves an everything else about the beach. People also mistake his excited hound sound when he sees other dogs he wants to go meet as he belts out this sound that only other hounds seem to get.People seem to think he wants to come eat their dog not meet it. There is nothing aggressive sounding or in his posture he is howling not growling or even barking. People that own sight hounds probably all know that excited sound ! In the 6 yrs I have had him he has never met a dog he does not like as he is a lover not a fighter.
My dogs are very vocal and my pit makes make this funny sound when she is excited to see someone. Its not a growl, she kind of positions her mouth like she is going to blow and a strange sound comes out. A lot of people get scared and think she is growling.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 AM

Today was the boy's turn to the same national park. Today, for the first time since I've been going to that park, I actually met people who got it. The boy does not like other dogs. He used to, but a neighbor's Golden Retriever changed all that in one afternoon.

Anyway, we saw three dogs while there. The first dog was still sitting in their owner's car as the owner had just pulled in to the same parking lot we were in. I saw them as we were walking out of the parking lot to cross the road to the ocean. I simply got us out of there before their dog got out of the car.

The second dog was on a narrow trail. I saw them before they saw us, so I was able to get off the path, up a slight incline, enough away from any contact. The two guys with the dog said that their dog was super friendly. I said, "Unfortunately, he's not" (meaning mine) "that's why I'm up here". They actually said thank you.

The third dog was up on a mountain we were standing on, overlooking the whole area. I looked up the trail, saw the owner with his little beagle type dog. The owner saw me stop, look at them, and look around. He got it, instantly. He walked off the trail, picked up his little dog, and turned so that his dog would not see my dog. I realized what he was doing so I continued on. As I passed him I thanked him. I said, "My boy is not very friendly with other dogs". He understood because his little beagle dog isn't either.

So while some people don't get dogs at all...and I am also glad to see that my dogs are not the only ones who whine when they are excited...it was so dang refreshing to come in contact with a few who actually did.

(I was hoping the boy would act differently since it's not his "territory", but I think the aggression is more fear driven than territorial driven. That Golden acted in a way that my boy had never seen from another dog; barking, snarling, lunging. Oh and yes, the boy whined a lot today, as well as his sister did last week. Glad that idiotic hag wasn't there to see us again. I would have had to throw her in to the ocean.)

Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,696,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The second dog was on a narrow trail. I saw them before they saw us, so I was able to get off the path, up a slight incline, enough away from any contact. The two guys with the dog said that their dog was super friendly. I said, "Unfortunately, he's not" (meaning mine) "that's why I'm up here". They actually said thank you.

I've had to say that before with a couple of my dogs. Our situation is difficult. My husband and I live alone, no family nearby, and no friends that visit our home. Socialization isn't easy when you just don't see a whole lot of people or when there isn't really a place where you can have dogs meet without leashes but still within a confined, neutral space.

We had an incident earlier this year with our small dog. Financially we have been unable to take him to formal training but I've been working with him as much as I can at home. Again, it's hard when there are no strangers you can ask to help with the "re-conditioning" - but I'm trying!

Anyway, I understand that some dogs are just the way they are and like people have different personalities, so do they. Just wondered if you ever felt that you have failed in their training in any way??

Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I've had to say that before with a couple of my dogs. Our situation is difficult. My husband and I live alone, no family nearby, and no friends that visit our home. Socialization isn't easy when you just don't see a whole lot of people or when there isn't really a place where you can have dogs meet without leashes but still within a confined, neutral space.

We had an incident earlier this year with our small dog. Financially we have been unable to take him to formal training but I've been working with him as much as I can at home. Again, it's hard when there are no strangers you can ask to help with the "re-conditioning" - but I'm trying!

Anyway, I understand that some dogs are just the way they are and like people have different personalities, so do they. Just wondered if you ever felt that you have failed in their training in any way??
No. I have not failed in their training. Where I did fail was when we first moved here and we met the neighbor's Golden.

My boy LOVED other dogs before he met this Golden. When he and his sis were puppies, they ran around with 6-7 other dogs in the neighborhood. They loved them all. There were two Doxies, an older black Lab, two mixed breeds that may have had some Pit in them, and another mix that was your typical black and tan mix type dog. In fact, the girl was absolutely in love with that older black and tan mix. That was her boyfriend, I used to say.

So they had been around other dogs, and had no problems with other dogs. When we moved, we went to the National Park within a week of moving here. We moved right around Memorial Day, and I knew no one was going to be hiring that weekend, so I decided to take my dogs to the National Park. They got along with all of the other dogs they met as we walked around. Heck, even during the move, we would stop at rest stops and other dogs would be out, and they never had a problem with them, either, so it wasn't the move that triggered it.

It was the neighbor's Golden.

We brought our dogs out to meet. Again, my dogs LOVED other dogs, so I was not in the least bit concerned or tense or anxious about any meeting. Well, the Golden had a serious attitude and started barking, lunging, and snarling at my boy. That riled up the boy badly. (They were both on leash, thankfully.) For some reason, the Golden ignored the girl, pretty much, because he was too busy being a jerk to my boy.

Ever since then, my boy hates other dogs. That was all it took. We have tried meeting other dogs since then, and sometimes it looks like he wants to play, but the meeting never goes well. I hired a trainer who deals with dog aggressive dogs, (literally, within a month of this happening because that one meeting turned my dog in to a dog aggressive dog), and we learned a lot, and he was expensive, and we continue to this day to learn. BUT, once you get passed the basics, you have to re-condition your dog. And just like you said, it's almost impossible to find anyone who is willing to help out.

They don't want to take the time, they are scared that the dogs will get in a fight, or they just don't get it. It doesn't matter if they will both be on leash. It doesn't matter if the first part is all about just having a dog in the same vicinity, and keeping your dog on a down stay, it doesn't matter that any contact would be months and months and months down the road...people get scared. And realizing that it would be months and months and months, they certainly do not want to take the time to help out...it's not their dog, why do they care?

Where I failed? I failed to read the signs when we met that Golden. I should have started out with one dog, not both dogs when meeting. I should not have walked up to the Golden and petted him, when they met. I shouldn't have been so relaxed about the meeting, being so sure it would go off well. I should have been calm, but more aware of the fact that some dogs are just jerks. THEIR dog was not socialized, so it had an absolute fit when he saw my boy. I wasn't expecting that. That is where I failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs