U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 PM

26,919 posts, read 20,156,482 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I took my girl hoodlum to a national park here. We've been there before, the hoodlums love it, and yesterday was her day. (Next week is the boy's day.) So, the whining started as soon as she smelled the wild. She couldn't wait. I got my season pass, got back in the car, and drove to our "regular" parking spot in the park so we could get out and walk the best area along the ocean. The excited whining got louder. She couldn't stand it.

We got out, she acted like a lunatic on Christmas day. She was beside herself with joy and excitement and new scents and people! zOMG the people! Look at all of those people who could pet her! JOY! Gasp! Other dogs? Heaven!

So, she has to be on leash in the park, and some dog owners don't want their dogs meeting other dogs, understandable. And some people don't want to pet the "cute little dog". She did not understand. She wanted to meet everybody and every thing. And holy cow there's birds! Must. Attack!

Whining, whining, whining with excitement. She could not decide what she wanted to do first.

So there we are, minding our own business, enjoying...well, me enjoying, her spazzing out, when this lady pipes up, "It doesn't look like she's enjoying herself". At first I thought the lady had a dry sense of humor so I played along, with a tone of sarcasm to go with her dry humor. "Oh yeah, she's hating every second of it."

I thought this lady understood that my dog was excited like it was her birthday, Christmas, and New Years all wrapped up together.

I was wrong.

This lady gave me a weird look and then, unbelievably said, "She's a puppy, she's not having a good time."

Some people? Are total idiots. I said, "Uh, no. First of all, this is her over excited, thrilled to be alive whine, and she's just wanting to know why every single person here is not fawning over her and second, she's 4 years old".

This lady had the audacity to argue with me. "That dog is not four years old. You don't know how old your dog is."

I've had this dog since she was three months old. I know exactly how old she is.

Why the hell do some people spout off about things they don't know? Why do they feel the need to shove their way in to your life with some b.s. opinion and try to ruin the mood? Why on earth would you argue with someone about their own dang dog? What is the point? Her tone was implying that I was torturing my dog. You've got to be fricken kidding me. My dog LOVES that park. Taking my dog out for a walk in a national park where she gets to explore woods, ocean, see/meet people, see small wildlife, and play...oh yes, such torture.

This is why I like animals more than people.

Has anyone ever had someone argue with them about their dog's enjoyment level or age before? By the way, this is the same national park where the last time we went, someone with a straight face asked me if my girl was part fox. No, they were not kidding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM

859 posts, read 858,749 times
A few years back, I was walking my female Ridgeback in a Florida park. There were two people, girl and a guy that we were walking towards. The girl looks at my dog's large teats and says, that dogs has had puppies. I looked at her and said, no, she just has big t i t s like her owner. Her male companion spit his soda out and I just kept walking.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,226,826 times
One of my good friends lives up in the "Land of Moose" also and tells me ridiculous stories like yours all the time. Next time I talk to her I'm going to let her know she in not alone in her frustration.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM

8,193 posts, read 8,247,043 times
Never had that happen to me before. I must think something is amiss with someone so preoccupied with other people's business. Regardless of whether she legitimately thought your dog was unhappy, which as you point out is a separate issue.

Whenever I'm visiting my parents I always walk their Bernese Mountain Dog though, and always pass by people gaping at how big she is. If only they knew how big of a baby she was.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM
ZSP

1,662 posts, read 4,702,294 times
I've had a ridiculous person argue with me while insisting my Boston Terrier was a miniature Boxer. Saying she'd never seen such a large Boston...there was no such thing as a 35 lb. Boston...so she had to be a miniature Boxer. I'm so glad I didn't have my bigger than average French Bulldog with me. No telling what she would have thought he was. LOL

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,306,493 times
I think "getting" animal behavior is like a lot of other human aptitudes: some people get it fine, other people just don't get it at all

Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 AM

10,349 posts, read 23,198,762 times
Sounds like your dog was having a ball!! I know how mine act when we're approaching the dog park...thankfully I haven't encountered any idiots..... yet. lol

Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 21,727,984 times
it must be something with people who are avid know it alls . we were in the petsmart one day and this lady insisted that our Chihuahua had doxie in him and Im sorry but no I have his papers and his papers from the ukc said Chihuahua and sorry but you don't know jack about dogs ...I try not to worry about idiot people at the park .

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,672,661 times
Trust me, it's not just about animals...

I worked at Colonial Williamsburg. You would not believe how much false information people "knew" and would tell anyone who would listen - never mind that *most* of the people wearing the colonial costumes probably knew more if they would only ASK!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,640,135 times
The world is full of Azzhats. Just ignore them and forget them. Life is too short to allow them any influence.
The world is full of wonderful, interesting and beautiful people. Enjoy their company, cultivate them and be a good friend to them.

If I had a dollar for every stupid and ignorant thing that has been said to me about my dogs and cats I'd be a wealthy man. To me their ignorant comments are like water of a duck's back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs