Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:09 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,738 times

Advertisements

I have a puppy that just turned 1 y.o. I have done three sessions of classes at Petsmart with him, starting with puppy, he's great at the store, but at home on walks he's totally different. We've had him since he was a baby puppy, so I don't know where his fear comes from. But he always barks when he sees other dogs and some people for the 1st time. After he meets them a few times he's fine, but I wish he would just relax. We have another dog at home that he grew up with and loves, and he was fine at class after a couple of weeks, but he gets so anxious whenever he sees a strange dog. I have had success using a "gentle leader" with him, but without it, he still barks like crazy. I keep trying to teach him "quiet" but it's like he gets totally fixated on the other dog and doesn't even hear or acknowledge me. It's really embarrasing. My other dog never had any problems like this, so I'm just trying to figure it out as I go. He seems like he is getting better over time, but he still is difficult. Also, I had him nuetered as soon as the vet said it was ok, but it didn't really help. I guess it's just his personality, but I wish he wasn't so insecure. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,024,782 times
i saw on some dog training show how the trainer showed the person owned by the dog that when puppy starts to get excited during walks because of a person or another dog you're to turn around immediately (taking 5 steps back in the opposite direction). once the dog calms down then you turn around again (heading back in the original direction). you keep doing this every single time the dog barks towards another approaching person or dog. seemed to work on the show.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I'll try that. It's hard to get him to turn around because he is totally fixating on the other dog, but it's not impossible. I'll definately give it a try. That would give him the idea that I'm controlling where were going, and that every time he doesn't listen, we wouldn't go any further. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,702 times
First, I have to say, anything border collie is likely to be a bit higher strung if they aren't working to their full potential. I work with a great lady that has border collies and does competition agility and works her dog constantly, and even then she's sometimes a little 'tightly wound' for lack of a better term. That being said, they are great dogs, and there are things you can do. Carry lots of treats with you on walks, and as soon as you see another dog, get your dog's focus on you and just keep treating him, the treat will make the other dog's presence a positive thing. Also, if you have people that can help you, have the other person approaching give your dog a treat, so other people are a positive experience too. If your dog isn't big into treats, it'll have to be something really yummy or you could even offer his favorite toy as a distraction.

I have a similar problem with my two goldens. Since we moved to Florida, their interaction with other dogs is slim to none because we don't have any dog parks around here and they don't see my friends dogs enough to have an effect, so they are barkers when they see other dogs. The gentle leader works wonders, so when I walk them with the gentle leaders, I make sure to really let them know they are good boys when we walk by another dog and they keep quiet, and I am trying to use a command they already know to put with it...I tell them to "leave it" because they already know what this means, and we just keep walking. We practice on short walks without gentle leaders and as soon as I see another dog, I start telling them to 'leave it' and try to keep their focus on me and just keep moving.

I know it can be frustrating, and some dogs may always bark when they see other dogs (which I know is embarassing, but as long as they're not getting aggressive or trying to attack, it's really nothing more than that) but hopefully you will find something that works for you.

Good luck

Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I am trying treats, but I know I could do more with them. I will try a tastier treat... cherios and biscuits work ok for small tasks, but I think other dogs and people may require me to up the anti, some boiled chicken pieces, perhaps? That's a good idea to treat him as soon as we see other dogs, I may be spending to much time trying to get him to sit down, and that's when he ignores me. Maybe if I just start treating him then I can reward him for "looking at me" he knows what that means. It sounds like it will make for a more positive experience for both of us.
Also, we are moving to FL next week to live on a horse farm (he's used to horses) once we get there, we'll have acess to a lot more ground where I can excercise more with him, instead of taking walks around our apt. complex. I know with the border in him, that should help a lot. I also want to look into a local agility club where we're going. I did that at a very basic level with my other dog until his hips starting getting too old. We both really enjoyed it.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Keeping everything fun and really positive works wonders...when we yell or get frustrated, we just confuse our dogs. I would bet more land for running around will make a difference too.

As far as treats go...something really good and smelly. At work, we always offer dry biscuits to dogs in appointments, a large number of them won't even sniff it (due to nerves or whatever reason) but then we get out the liver treats...and boy, watch your fingers! I am lucky that my dogs are both BIG into treats, so anything that they can get in their mouths is rewarding, other dogs, you have to work to find out what they find exciting. You could try like sliced/shaved deli turkey or chicken and cut it up into small squares. Remember too, if you are doing alot of work and going through alot of treats, you'll want to cut back on the amount of food you give in the dish...a problem most people have doing (myself included sometimes) every once in a while, I let them get away with the puppy dog eyes and they get their full meal plus any treats, but they are both at a perfect weight right now, so if I even imagine that they put on an ounce, we get it off immediately

Also, I forgot to ask, is your dog neutered/spayed, and does it seem to be more one sex over the other that the dog reacts to?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM

Yes, he is neutered, I had it done as soon as my vet said it was ok. It didn't help at all. Maybe it is one sex more, but I don't know b/c I never get close enough to other dog b/c of my dog's behavior! It seems more than anything that it's just a "new dog" issue, b/c he gets along great w/ my two neighbor's dogs, a female whippet mix and a male Jack russel. He doesn't bark at either of them, not even from across the street. I guess he can tell he already knows them. But every time a new dog or sometimes even a person (usually men) walks by he barks like crazy. The weird thing is, he loves my husband and my dad, but he knows them. Like I said, we'e had him since he was a baby puppy, so I don't know where his issues come from at all.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 AM

It's funny how our dogs pick up these behaviors as they go isn't it Mine used to be so social with other dogs and we'd go to the dog park almost every weekend, and now they bark like idiots! It's funny because my younger guy thinks he's so tough and makes all this noise, but if he actually gets to another dog, he doesn't really do anything...my two guys wrestle when they play, so he'll try to see if another dog wants to wrestle, but that's about it. It's just funny (odd) because he sounds so aggressive and then (thankfully) there's nothin behind it. They do much better with female dogs, I don't know why. Mine are both neutered also, but for whatever reason, they just like girls better....and they don't like huskys! My brother has one, and they won't even look at him unless it's to make sure he's keeping his distance...they have never met a husky that they liked. My brother's dog is really hyper and 'in your face' all the time, so I am just wondering if that's what bothers them, or if they sense that I am not thrilled about him either so they figure they should stay away...who knows??? but they do some weird things!!!

Depending on the dogs posture though, I would not think that this is really fear based behavior (unless his tail is tucked tight, ,ears slicked back etc) I think alot of times things like this are just an inappropriate reaction and we will never know the reason, all we can do is try to correct it.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 AM

The only reason I thought it was fear was because he gets a mohowk on his back when it happens. He is like your dog though, once he actually gets nose to nose, he won't "attack" or anything, in fact, as soon as he gets close, he stops barking, wears his mohawk, and will run behind me if the other dog is bigger than him. Then, i will pet the other dog and make a fuss over him, and then he'll come around and sniff him. After that, he'll play like normal, it just gets crazy for me on a walk!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
As mentioned by a previous poster, Bordie Collies are very high strung/high energy, and Labs are not exactly complacent, but calmer than BCs. My dad raises and trains BCs for working sheep, and the good work dogs have to stay kenneled to keep them from obsessing about the sheep all day. He takes them out for two 'walks' a day, but these are really 'run like crazy dogs on fire' rather than walks.

He may need more exercise to work some of his tension out of his system. Is there a dog park that allows him to run free? It might also help him to adjust to new dogs. His reaction might be protective based behaviour and that might be less strong if he is not on the leash attached to you, too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs