Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 AM

533 posts, read 1,115,852 times

Advertisements

My dog has a serious heart murmur, and I'm waiting to have the echocardiogram/chest X-rays done for about 8 months. Those diagnostics will tell me if my dog could ever be anestetized (for things like proper veterinary dental cleanings).

Worst case scenario, my dog may not be able to ever have anesthesia. So, I'm wondering, if I start brushing my dogs teeth (using actual dog toothpaste) will that help prevent periodontal disease and other gum problems? I know that cleanings by the vet are the best, but if my dog can't be anestetized then she wouldn't be able to get those cleanings.

Anyway, thanks for any info! Also if you have any info for dogs with heart problems id love to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 19,144,358 times
it couldn't hurt. (dog teeth cleaning is relatively new, dogs have gone without having their teeth professionally cleaned for hundreds of years)

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 AM

720 posts, read 1,714,491 times
I do brush my dogs teeth, not as often as I should though. I used an enzymatic dog toothpaste and it does remove some stains. I also occasionally give him bully sticks and uncooked soup bones to chew on (supervised) He's a 7 year old miniature poodle and has never needed a vet dental cleaning��

Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,525,903 times
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, dogs naturally cleaned their teeth by chewing on bones. So, if your dog is not regularly chewing on bones, then he or she will need an alternative such as teeth brushing or special chews.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,364,460 times
I have found that brushing their teeth every day helps tremendously but less frequently is kind of a waste of time. Chew items that they can really sink their teeth into are also helpful. Raw hide is 'controversial' but I have to admit it keeps their teeth sparkling clean. Rope toys can also work well if the dog chews on the rope with their molars. Certainly raw feeding is known to improve dental health because the teeth are working through raw bone which is much different from cooked.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,643,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I have found that brushing their teeth every day helps tremendously but less frequently is kind of a waste of time. Chew items that they can really sink their teeth into are also helpful. Raw hide is 'controversial' but I have to admit it keeps their teeth sparkling clean. Rope toys can also work well if the dog chews on the rope with their molars. Certainly raw feeding is known to improve dental health because the teeth are working through raw bone which is much different from cooked.
^^^I have to agree.

Although dental care for dogs is kind of new, it does help with overall health...and dog BREATH.

Depending on your dogs chewing habits (and what s/he chews) may depend on what your brushing habits should be. Discuss it with your vet. Just remember, never use human toothpaste (fluoride is toxic not only to pets but also humans, which is why you don't swallow toothpaste.) Try to get a pet toothbrush with soft bristles or at least make sure the head of the toothbrush is small enough for your pet (maybe a kids toothbrush) again, soft bristles.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,453,929 times
My dog won't let me brush her teeth so a few years ago I started to give her beef neck bones (vertebrae) that I get from my butcher to chew on......No need to brush her teeth or have the vet clean them now....

Old 06-08-2014, 06:02 PM

13,942 posts, read 39,470,645 times
Once in a Blue Moon I use a Tooth scaler on mine

Old 06-08-2014, 08:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,481,582 times
I've brushed my dogs teeth over the years. To be honest I never do it with any consistency so it probably does not help much. As others have said having something proper to chew on is probably the right answer. Canines have been doing it that way for a very long time.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,254,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, dogs naturally cleaned their teeth by chewing on bones.
In addition to bones my dogs chew on a lot of sticks, with the smaller sticks it's almost like they are using it like floss trying to strip the bark off. We do have birch trees, perhaps they even like the taste. Their front teeth are as white as can be and the back molars are only mildly miscolored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs