U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:15 AM

36,502 posts, read 49,355,564 times

Advertisements

Real bones are out I think because they are greasy and messy.

Dentastix are out because they are full of sugars and don't do anything good for teeth.'
Dentastix - bad idea?? - Pet Forums Community

Raw Carrots are out cause I'm afraid they would choke on too big pieces.

Any suggestions? Nylabones? These are white inside 99% of the time dogs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,125,383 times
I recently searched for the same thing and found a great solution.

Water Buffalo Horns!!!

They last forever, my dog loves them, and they make NO mess. They obviously get wet from the dogs saliva but other than that they are not messy and my dogs chew them in the house which we've never been able to let them do with anything else. They come in different sizes depending on how big your dog is. My dogs have been gnawing on the same two horns for over two months now.

We get them at a local pet store but they can be found online at amazon and other places.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks. We have a terrific special pet food store which carries Bully Bones which are dried bull penises but I haven't had a chance to research them yet. This weekend I'll look to see if they carry water buffalo horns.

uh oh- Bully Stick is out of the question

http://www.livescience.com/26639-bul...dog-treat.html

and this:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5582448&type=1

maybe antlers?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,637,659 times
If your dog is a real chewer and likes to chew for long periods of time, then beware of giving the dog chews that are too hard. Antlers and horns will wear your dogs teeth down very rapidly. We have seen this too many times in my wife's canine dental hygiene practise.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM

We have two miniature schnauzer and they have not been able to get any splinters or chunks off the Buffalo horns.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If your dog is a real chewer and likes to chew for long periods of time, then beware of giving the dog chews that are too hard. Antlers and horns will wear your dogs teeth down very rapidly. We have seen this too many times in my wife's canine dental hygiene practise.
Thank you. Do you think it would make any difference if they are small dogs? six lb maltese and 15 lb Bichon.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Don't want to offend you but would be interested to hear your/your wifes take on this...

We have a dog that we tried to protect from "harmful" chews and gave her just the greenies (was a snack to her and she would have them eaten in a couple minutes), nylabones, kong's, and other toys which didn't keep her attention so she wouldn't chew on them.

We've spent countless hours brushing her teeth, THOUSANDS of dollars at "canine dental hygiene" places. We've had to have her teeth professionally cleaned each year. Finally last year, at the age of 8 we had to pay $1500 more to have all her teeth pulled because they were getting so bad and she was having pain in her teeth. Her teeth were always nasty looking even with brushing them every day and she always had terrible breath.

We decided to try something different with the next dog and have given him chews that he likes and will keep his interest. He chews like crazy and his teeth are beautiful and require much less time and money to keep looking white and pretty. He seems so much more content with his mouth and he loves the buffalo horns. His mouth is so much prettier than the other dogs mouth ever was, even as a puppy. We've given him hard chews that he actually likes and chews on for long periods of time. When he's done with a chewing session you can see how nice and clean his teeth look.

With that said, I'd be interested to hear which is a better way to go from the point of view of a canine dental hygienist? Spend hours brushing and hundreds of dollars every year at the hygienist and eventually have to pull their teeth because they didn't get used enough? Or, let their teeth get worn down over the years chewing harder things that actually clean their teeth and requires much less maintenance and money over the years?

I'm no professional but we're so much happier with the second dogs mouth then we were playing it safe with the first dogs mouth and the dog is happier also.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,094,783 times
We bought antlers for our puppy. Very, very durable. Not a dent in them after chewing, but she doesn't seem as interesting in it as bully sticks or other chews. Recently we bought her "Toothpicks" but she seems to love but then eats it within 15 minutes. I know people on here aren't fans of raw hide though.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM

120 posts, read 201,545 times
My Chow really loves the Himalayan chews. They are on the pricey side but they do last longer than bully sticks. They don't leave any messes and they don't smell like some other natural chews

Amazon.com : Himalayan Dog Chew, Medium 2.5 oz : Pet Snack Treats : Pet Supplies

Old 06-12-2014, 12:23 PM

729 posts, read 1,378,805 times
My dogs love their nylabones. Deer antlers are another good choice. Both are non-messy and good for indoor chewing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs