Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM

836 posts, read 3,385,241 times

Advertisements

Got a question... We are fixing to move to SC from KY we are traveling 8hours with 5 dogs..4 of them are Danes with high anxiety. The Vet use to give us meds for their travel now they are recommending Benadryl which they have never taken before. So we wanted to try them on it first before we leave Friday morning. The Vet said give them 1mg per lb if that's the case this would be 160mg per each male and 125mg for each female and 80mg for the other male.. My problem is converting this to ml without overdosing them. If I added right 160mg is 64ml?..maybe I'm crazy but this seems like a lot, Wouldn't this be too much for them? We don't want them completely knocked out, just want them calm so they are not overly excited.. They need to be able to walk when we stop for potty breaks..Thanks..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,218,179 times
I think I'd call the vet back and ask them to be a bit more specific.

I know I have given my much smaller dogs dramamine before a trip, 1/2 a pill seemed to be more than enough. I would imagine that 1/2 a childs dose of benadryl would be okay, but I would still call the vet to be sure.

IME dogs metabolic rate is significantly higher than ours. My dog and I took the same prescription for years. Hers was almost 4 times the dosage that mine was!!!

But still - it's better to be safe with the vet than to take a chance.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Yea that's what I'm thinking of doing..Thanks..

Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM

533 posts, read 1,113,317 times
My dog had separation anxiety (and still does a little bit) and Benadryl has no effect on her. So you're right for wanting to test it first under close supervision just to make sure it even works.

Also, my dog is 50pounds and I gave her 50mg (two of the pink tablets).

Edit: like the other person said, I'd confirm dosage with your vet first. And even have a back up plan with the vet just in case the Benadryl has no effect.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,825,250 times
Children's or adult Bendryl??? Clarify with the vet.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Called The other Vet in town and got the answers I needed.... Thanks everyone... I Just didn't feel comfortable giving them such a high dose specially since they've never taken benadryl before..

Old 06-03-2014, 01:31 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,585,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Called The other Vet in town and got the answers I needed.... Thanks everyone... I Just didn't feel comfortable giving them such a high dose specially since they've never taken benadryl before..

And what was the answer?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,745 times
I have a Shar Pei mix and use Childrens allergy free Benadryl tablets about every other month for swelling/reactions/fevers. The 1mg per pound is a typical dosage rate, and has no known side effects/is safe for dogs.

I am assuming the second vet probably told you something along those lines.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM

729 posts, read 1,507,142 times
Dogs can tolerate an insane amount of Benedryl. Their bodies process it differently

Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,516,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Got a question... We are fixing to move to SC from KY we are traveling 8hours with 5 dogs..4 of them are Danes with high anxiety. The Vet use to give us meds for their travel now they are recommending Benadryl which they have never taken before. So we wanted to try them on it first before we leave Friday morning. The Vet said give them 1mg per lb if that's the case this would be 160mg per each male and 125mg for each female and 80mg for the other male.. My problem is converting this to ml without overdosing them. If I added right 160mg is 64ml?..maybe I'm crazy but this seems like a lot, Wouldn't this be too much for them? We don't want them completely knocked out, just want them calm so they are not overly excited.. They need to be able to walk when we stop for potty breaks..Thanks..
Not too much at all, in fact, 1 mg / lb. may not have any effect.

If your dog is having an allergic reaction, the vet won't hesitate to administer IM benadryl as high as 3, 4 or even 5 mg per pound of body weight.

It's extremely difficult to poison yourself or your dog with benadryl. The stuff just isn't very toxic at all. The concern is that if you take too much you'll fall so heavily asleep that your breathing reflex will be suppressed. If they aren't asleep, they haven't had too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs