Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 PM

429 posts, read 972,752 times

Advertisements

Its thunderstorm storm and firework season in most of the united states. Wouldnt it be great if there was a pill to give your dog that shakes every time it storms to make her not shake. Or a pill to give yopur pooch that is a frantic mess as soon as it gets dark and the neighbors start shooting off fire works that would keep him calmly laying in his bed. Well there is a pill that will stop the shaking dog from shaking and wwill make the frantic ddog lay calmly. But i stongly urge you NOT to ever give your dogs this "magic pil" and this article explains why.
Don't 'Ace' the Fear: Why acepromazine may make your dog's fireworks fear worse | Dr. Marty Becker

After posting this i read another article by the same author. While i strongly agree that ace is not a good drug to ever give because it does nothing to help the fear. It only makes the animal phyiscally unable to react to the fear but their mind and brain are still fiunctioning normal (imagine being paralized and putnin a situation with something you greatly fear. your mind still works fine but you can not tell anyone you are scared cause you cant talk and you cant run away from what you are scared of cause you cant move. it would be touture).
I have no confidence in this author and think he is a fraud with self serving motives to everything he writes. ie at the end of the article he has a link to take you tio his tips for dealing with firewrk fears. and the page is almost all links to products you can purchase and i gaurentee he is getting a comission of these.

I wish i was able to delete this thread and rewrite it with out the article attached

Last edited by beans213; 07-03-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM

729 posts, read 1,507,142 times
I've never liked ACE for dealing with this kind of fear. I would rather give Benedryl and take the edge off but still have a responsive dog. It's less scary for them this way.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,509 times
I don't know anything about this drug, but I'd add to also not try Xanax on your dog for the first time tomorrow. If you've used it before and know how your dog reacts (and it was prescribed for your dog by your vet), then this may be a safe option. But in some dogs, Xanax has the OPPOSITE intended effect and instead of causing sedation and relaxation, it can cause excitability and exacerbate aggression.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM

429 posts, read 972,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I've never liked ACE for dealing with this kind of fear. I would rather give Benedryl and take the edge off but still have a responsive dog. It's less scary for them this way.
I have been told that benedryl has a similar effect as ACE. I do not kno if this is true or not but might be worth looking into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I don't know anything about this drug, but I'd add to also not try Xanax on your dog for the first time tomorrow. If you've used it before and know how your dog reacts (and it was prescribed for your dog by your vet), then this may be a safe option. But in some dogs, Xanax has the OPPOSITE intended effect and instead of causing sedation and relaxation, it can cause excitability and exacerbate aggression.
yes oh my gosh this can deff happen and it is not good when it does. My dog had a paradoxical reaction to extremely low dose prozac. It was HORRIBLE. She is fine now. and was only on it for 6 days. its been almost a year since we tried it. She does have a couple weird fears that pop up every now and then that she didnt have untill she was on the prozac.

Bottom line is becareful with anything you give your dog. sometimes what is suppose to help makes things worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs