Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Puppy Mills are all over this country-not just in mid atlantic state or the South. Hopefully these dogs can be brought to good health and good homes found for them all.

Operation Montana Malamute Rescue - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM

30,551 posts, read 16,240,407 times
Those poor dogs. Those lucky poor dogs.

I too hope for homes for all of them.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
The rescue took place in November 2011

Old 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Here's a great webpage with updates of court actions and the malamutes placements.

Over 150 Malamutes seized in Montana, 10/13/11 -- Updates

It reads from bottom to top in date order. It seems the malamutes were held as evidence until earlier this year and only recently became available for adoption. It's not clear where they are available.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks, Hopes.

Probably best place to start would be to contact the Lewis and Clark Humane Society in Helena, MT.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
The jerk was sentenced to 30 years in prison but he only has to serve 5. Plus the was sentenced for his pot growing operation. The "funny" part is he is upset that his plans to retire and be a dog show judge are dashed. Can you believe this man? I've read several of the articles about this case. Here is a good one.

Chilinski gets 30 years, 25 suspended, in malamute abuse

By now all of the dogs are in homes. I think it is really sad so many had to be held as evidence. Surely they were trying to adopt them all out and film and eye witness testimony would have been enough!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
It's not just that the dogs are held as evidence, but that the dogs legally belong to the owner until a judge rules that his ownership is terminated and transfers it to the rescuing agency. And sad as it is for the dogs, he has to get due process. When an abusive/neglectful owner still wants custody (and it's amazing how often that happens) it can take awhile. We all know how long court cases can drag out. Since apparently they thought the pot growing was more important than charges regarding the dogs it's even less surprising it took time. One of my dogs was held for 3 months before she was able to be moved to the adoption floor while a court case was pending, and I've known it to take as long as a year. It's very sad for the dogs and a great expense to the agency holding them of course, if money for their care can't be collected from the original owner.

Last edited by subject2change; 07-06-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The "funny" part is he is upset that his plans to retire and be a dog show judge are dashed. Can you believe this man?
I'm very skeptical about people in all levels of the dog business. Think about it. He very well could have become a dog show judge someday. That means it's possible there are dog show judges with puppy mills. My girlfriend became friends with a reputable breeder. She was a guest on her property many times over the years. When the breeder was to have surgery, they were going to help her recover and take care of the dogs. They arrived before she returned from being out of town for a dog show. The cages were in deplorable condition. She left her dogs alone while she went on a trip to a dog show for a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It's not just that the dogs are held as evidence, but that the dogs legally belong to the owner until a judge rules that his ownership is terminated and transfers it to the rescuing agency. And sad as it is for the dogs, he has to get due process. When an abusive/neglectful owner still wants custody (and it's amazing how often that happens) it can take awhile. We all know how long court cases can drag out. Since apparently they thought the pot growing was more important than charges regarding the dogs it's even less surprising it took time. One of my dogs was held for 3 months before she was able to be moved to the adoption floor while a court case was pending, and I've known it to take as long as a year. It's very sad for the dogs and a great expense to the agency holding them of course, if money for their care can't be collected from the original owner.
I hadn't thought of that! How terrible!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 AM

you've got a point, subject2change, about the due process.

I only wish there was also due punishment.

Progress has been made, and is being made, in seeing animal abuse as the crime that it is.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm very skeptical about people in all levels of the dog business. Think about it. He very well could have become a dog show judge someday. That means it's possible there are dog show judges with puppy mills. My girlfriend became friends with a reputable breeder. She was a guest on her property many times over the years. When the breeder was to have surgery, they were going to help her recover and take care of the dogs. They arrived before she returned from being out of town for a dog show. The cages were in deplorable condition. She left her dogs alone while she went on a trip to a dog show for a week!

Knowing one, or even a few people in the dog business, is not representative of the behavior of people in the dog business as a whole. Perhaps you should be thinking more about it yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs