Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 12,233 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My fiancé and I will be moving cross country tomorrow (Arizona to Maryland) and we will both be driving our own cars. We will be bringing along our two dogs (husky and border collie) and this will be their first time traveling for more than four hours. We will be doing 8 hours a day for four days, and we will be stopping however many times we need to. My fiancé's car will be completely packed, so both dogs will be traveling in my back seat.

For the last 24 hours, our husky has had some diarrhea and he's thrown up a few times. Our border collie was doing this a few days prior and is better, so I think he's just got the same bug that our BC had, or it's stress related. Yesterday, we had to put a member of our pack down unexpectedly, which took place in the house I think that between watching us pack up our house little by little and putting down the other dog, our husky is getting very stressed. We've done the fasting and we fed him a bland diet this morning and so far he has not had diarrhea for several hours and he only threw up bile+grass once, but I'm preparing myself for the worst and assuming that he might have diarrhea and vomiting in the car.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks in case this happens? My seats are leather so they are easier to clean, BUT I would like to avoid getting it on the seat if possible. I've looked for some products that might help with it, almost like car seat puppy pads that can drape over the backseats and just throw away if a mess happens, but I haven't had any luck.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,716,979 times
Gee, you think killing your own dog in the house might have upset the other dog? Who does that?

You also picked a great time of year to drive across the country, with animals no less.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 PM

No need to be judgmental, it was very sudden and hard for us to cope with. He developed bone cancer in his leg very suddenly and couldn't walk as of yesterday morning, and since he was a 10 year old great dane, transporting him to a vet was simply not an option. Plus I'd much rather him go in the comfort of his own home rather than a cold operating table in an unfamiliar setting. Our other dogs were put away in a separate room and didn't watch, but they aren't stupid. They know he's not here anymore.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,803,844 times
Kaopectate or Immodium can be used for the diarrhea - use a child's dose rate. Keep the dog on as bland a diet as you can while traveling. Bring plenty of water from home- sometimes strange water will upset the dog.

Cover the seats with blankets or towels. Leather heats up very quickly in the summer when you stop. The dogs will sure feel it when they get back in the car after being out for several minutes or hours while you stop.

PS- I've put down dogs at home. It's been a blessing to a deathly sick dog, especially if it's a rapid, unexpected turn for the worse. We can be on the dog's pet bed, with the dog's head in my lap while the vet sits with us and does what has to be done. The other dogs are removed from the house and put outside before the vet arrives. They don' t know what is going on while it happens.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,041,846 times
I am sorry you had to put your other dog down. That is never easy. I would put a fairly thick blanket down with maybe a few towels for easier clean up. Something you can throw away if necessary. I bet this is stress related and as soon as they know your all going to be together they will calm down.

Good luck with your move. Take as many breaks as you can. Remember it is hot and don't leave them alone in the car.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,767,396 times
I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to one of your dogs. I think passing away at home is a blessing to them and the other dogs might not have seen it but they know. I am sure they are stressed and grieving but will be ok.
I have had incontinent sick dogs and I used a quilted pad kind of like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QRN3QW?psc=1
You can also put down some wee wee pads and put some towels/blankets over them so when anything soaks through the towels/blankets the wee wee pads will absorb it.
I would also give them some probiotics and would take bottled water with me to give to them instead of using tap water.
oh and baby wipes are great if you need to wipe/clean them off in a hurry.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just wanted to post an update. Our BC woke us up at 2 AM with diarrhea, so I was very worried that we were going to have issues on our car ride. Luckily, no accidents! I did manage to find one of the waterproof mattress pads and also some kaopectate just in case it was needed. However once arriving in our first destination, they both seem to be acting more calm--their stool is hardening (thank goodness) and they ate their meals no problems. No vomiting in 48 hours, so I think the worst is behind us

Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 AM

3,607 posts, read 9,086,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggles927 View Post
thanks for the replies everyone!

Just wanted to post an update. Our bc woke us up at 2 am with diarrhea, so i was very worried that we were going to have issues on our car ride. Luckily, no accidents! I did manage to find one of the waterproof mattress pads and also some kaopectate just in case it was needed. However once arriving in our first destination, they both seem to be acting more calm--their stool is hardening (thank goodness) and they ate their meals no problems. No vomiting in 48 hours, so i think the worst is behind us
yeah!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs