Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,231,153 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I was working on landscaping in a small crevice behind my garage and instantly jumped about 8 feet when I heard a rattle go off near me. It was out of pure raw instinct that I jumped, my brain didn't even process the sound by the time I found myself across the yard.

Today I found a shed snake skin on the other side of the garage by the back corner inside my fence - In my dogs yard . Its a shorter brown and tan-ish skin, that would fit in with it being some sort of rattler or copperhead that I heard previously.

I cannot do anything about its habitat, because my garage and fence line backs right up to a neighbors 100 year old falling down shed and weeds, where it is living.

How can I protect my dog? I'm not used to having to deal with poisonous snakes and im scared to let her outside now. How fast can a bite kill? I am in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM

19,881 posts, read 22,793,559 times
Snake-Away and other store repellents are totally bogus. Proven not to work so don't bother.

The bet thing you can do is move your dogs 'area' to a well mowed and conspicuous place. Snakes don't really wander into a dogs domain (willingly). Second best thing to do- introduce a predator. Get a good cat. A good cat will dispatch snakes fairly easily. If that's not possible, get a wind moving hawk decoy and put it on a pole by the dogs area.

Another thing that I've heard of that works is hoofed animal pee. Most horses, cattle, deer and other critters will stomp the ever loving tar out of a snake. It may help deter the snake.

Honestly if it were me- I'd put a mouse or two in a wire cage and bait that sucker then shoot it with .44mag snake shot.

All venomous snake bites can be fatal for dogs. I hunt in rattler country with my dogs and I carry several 25mg Benadryl tabs. Usually it's a long way to get treatment out here, so I pray that will bide them enough time if they are ever tagged by a rattler.

This guy has some good basic tips-http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/snake-keep-away.htm

The vegetation issue is the biggie. All that snake is doing is trying to make a living eating mice and survive by not getting killed by birds, cats or anything else. However if it has taken up residency- that's an issue.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-22-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,782,138 times
Agree with clearing your property as much as possible so there aren't places for it to hide. There are also anti-venom vaccines for dogs for some types of snakes. I don't know how well they work but you can ask your vet about them.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:43 PM

8,114 posts, read 12,846,329 times
Guinea fowl will kill snakes if you have multiple birds.

Kingsnakes will kill rattlers and copperheads so NEVER EVER kill an unidentified snake in your yard since it may be keeping the poisonous ones away.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,231,153 times
Thanks for the ideas!

I cant clear out my yard because it is already clear, they are coming in from the neighbors backyard, through my fence, maybe to bask in the sun, since its really wooded and shaded back where they nest.

Wartace, Guinea fowl would of been great when I had lots of land and free range birds, doing permaculture. Unfortunately I am now living downtown with no room for fowl, especially noisy Guineas - I wish I could though.

I cant throw a cat outside here because it will get killed on the roads. There are street smart toms cats I see around already though - they look a little too well fed to do any serious varmit patrol.

I did see a very long black rat snake coming out from under my house earlier this year and was happy to see him. I wonder if these poisonous snakes have some symbiotic relationship with rat snakes? I just read something that said they sometime nest or hibernate in the same dens?

Living in SC is new to me. I never expected to see so many snakes and lizards right in town.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-22-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,635,494 times
You can get a vaccination. The first year your dog will need two shots three weeks apart. After that, there's an annual booster. Any vet in venomnous snake country should have the vaccine. The vaccine is for pit viper venom. That includes rattlesnakes, copperheads and moccasins, but not coral snakes. However, coral snakes are found only in Florida and Arizona.

A few years ago I was walking down a path on my property when I noticed a snake thrashing under my foot; I had stepped on the snake. Just like you, gross motor skills took over and the next thing I knew I had moved about two feet without conscious effort. Then I wondered if it were really a rattlesnake. I looked at the snake who had reared up in a defensive position and, sure enough, there was the rattle, partially broken off where I'd apparently stepped, triangular head, and a depression on top of the head. The snake didn't give me much time for observation, however. He slithered away under a sagebush.

One of my dogs (vaccinated) was bitten on his face two years ago. I took him right to my vet who examined him, then told me to get some Benadryl to give him. Even with the vaccination, medical attention may be necessary. The same year, very hot and dry, my other dog came in with a swollen neck. That could have been a sting or a bite. My vet was concerncerned because the swelling could block an airway. Always take your dog to the vet immediately after a snake bite even though he's vaccinated. Snake bites can be very serious. Some species have more potent venom than others. I should mention that my dog was bitten in a fenced yard with grass.

Cats are subject to bites as well and being small are likely to get a fatal amount so keep them inside. Snakes don't look at decoys.

Snakes are interesting; we just need to take care if there are venomnous snakes where we live.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM

19,881 posts, read 22,793,559 times
Cats are subject to bites, yes- however they are rarely bitten. At least good cats aren't. My dad lived in the swamps of Eastern NC and his cats killed rattlers, copperheads and water moccasins- pretty much everything.

The hawk decoy (motion wings) may not be completely effective against the snake, but they ARE very effective at dispersing the snakes favorite food- mice. I put a hawk decoy that my buddy has in my front yard facing my neighbors pasture. It was pretty amazing to see the prairie dogs run for cover.

The OP can also use a sticky board trap too.

I've investigated the vaccine for my GSP's, however all three vets I spoke to do not recommend it. They all prefer snake avoidance training instead. They said the vaccine trials did not meet muster from the professional review by the board. However I can get and administer the vaccine through my local NAVHDA chapter. Roughly 25% of members have done that. Roughly 75% have done the snake avoidance clinic though.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-22-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Contact Animal Control!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,187,517 times
^ this.

They will come out if you heard a rattle, I would think. You need it removed for your safety as well. My dog was bitten by a copperhead in early August (I have a post about it in this forum) and it was a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone! I was afraid she was going to die, she was seriously messed up. Thankfully she recovered, but it was a long and draining process. Please get this snake removed so nothing happens to you or your dog.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
Go online and find a person that snake proofs dogs. And the next time you hear a rattle go grab a shovel and mess him up. Bury the head deep deep. And don't touch the head. It can bite long after its dead and the fan fogs and bite will still inject venom. When I go camping I go sell over the campground. I found a Mohave Green once. I normally don't kill snakes when I'm camping or hunting but too close to camp I waste them. Kids dogs other friends who are not outdoor types may accidentally get bit. I'm not gonna take that chance with any poisonous snake especially with a Mohave green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs