Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:03 PM

84 posts, read 100,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just re-read my OP. It's too late to edit it, but I promise, I am not a 6-year old married to a 72-year old! Today is my 66th birthday. I obviously have a mental block which gets in the way of my typing such big numbers.
Happy birthday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:09 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
You might want to look at silken windhounds. They are a long haired medium sized sighthound.
Wow! I have never even heard of this breed, and I am truly a dog person. I googled it and was very impressed with the appearance of the dog. (Going by appearance only and using no other criteria whatsoever, I am very partial to afghans.) I will definitely keep this breed in mind, as you have described pretty much what I am looking for in a dog (aside from size, possibly, since they are a little larger than I had in mind). I have a hunch one would cost an absolute fortune, though, wouldn't it? About half of the dogs I've had I got from rescue groups, and I'd have a hard time putting out $1000 or more for a dog when so many are being put to sleep every day.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
This will come off as a strange suggestion, but an American Staffordshire Terrior or American Pit Bull Terrier meet your criteria exactly. If you can get past/ignore the the news hype, they are generally great dogs.
You know, I'm just not really into terriors. We did have a wire hair fox terrier when I was growing up, and I loved her to pieces. I don't know what it is exactly, but I just don't feel like a terrier would be a great match for me.

Quote:
A standard poodle may also be a dog to consider, but you do need to clip them- $40 for an electric clippers and a willingness to keep them in a puppy cut, you are looking at a monthly clip at home for coat maintenance.
I've given some serious thought to a standard poodle. In a way, I've never been all that drawn to them, but I hear they are extremely bright. The grooming costs would not be an issue. Been there and done that with the Cockers. No big deal.

A Brittany may be a third option to consider, although they may have more energy and hair than you want, they are also a decent match for what you outlined in your preferences.[/quote]Yeah, a Brittany might work. I've always had the impression that they need a ton of exercise though. Am I wrong about that? (We're good about walking our dogs, but at our age, we're not runners. )

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-27-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Get another collie.
Brush her more.

My sardonic smoothie.
Serious question here. Do Smooth Collies still shed a lot? Once, one of our Collies got a skin infection and we had to shave her almost to the skin. When we did, we joked that we'd traded her in for a Smooth Collie.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
The first thing that came to my mind is a corgi. I've never owned one, but maybe someone who has can weigh in.
May be a great dog, but I'm too bothered by the proportions of the legs to the body.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Spinone Italiano, Standard Poodles, Labradoodles, Greyhounds (there is a special program for retired dogs) and the smooth collie mentioned above can all be good choices.
We have actually considered getting a Labradoodle or a Greyhound. Do you know what "retirement age" is for a Greyhound? My last two dogs were older rescues, and I swore I wasn't going to get another dog again that was going to die of old age after I'd just had it five years.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
King Charles Cavaliers are incredible dogs as well. Extremely loving, smaller sized (15-20 lbs is the midrange), not big on barking at all, will be very happy and content doing whatever it is you and your husband are doing -- they'll be active with you, and just as happy being couch potatoes for hours with no need to go anywhere. Amazing in many ways... but they do shed (nothing crazy, mostly seasonal and easy to control as long as you brush them every few days).
Not to mention the fact that they're as cute as they come.

Quote:
If not for your worry of shedding, I'd say go with a Golden Retriever... perfect adaptable dogs, calm and trainable.
Yeah, if it were not for shedding, I'd go for a Golden again myself. As a matter of fact, even with shedding, we're keeping it as an option.

Quote:
And just as a heads up -- my best dogs have been shelter mutts, despite the fact that we've had at least 14 purebreds over the years as well.
I totally agree!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Serious question here. Do Smooth Collies still shed a lot? Once, one of our Collies got a skin infection and we had to shave her almost to the skin. When we did, we joked that we'd traded her in for a Smooth Collie.
They are less maintenance but do shed.

Please do NOT take offense at this, but I really suggest getting a calm, gentle dog that can be pretty chilled out.

I have MANY older patients with broken bones from their exuberant dogs.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I read your list carefully.

A Golden retriever Chow mix.

Funny , I just saw one on the TV.

Perfect temperment for everything on your list.

I could count the ways they are perfect, but don't have the time.
They don't shed...but do have the summer undercoat that you get an under coat comb/brush for.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Well, I think the shedding factor should give you a short list. Start with dogs that don't shed, and go from there.

My rat terrier is everything you're looking for .....but she sheds HORRIBLY! My world is covered in tiny white hairs.

When I was looking for a medium sized dog, I narrowed it down between poodles and rat terriers. I decided I didn't want to deal with grooming. And I think I am a forever rat terrier person now. Smart, loyal, not a big barker, ready to go all day OR be a couch potato with me, friendly to everyone, nice size at about 23 pounds, but very sturdy (I didn't want a dog I had to worry about stepping on, but was small enough I could pick up without hurting my back if she got sick or hurt), very trainable......But, wow on the shedding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs