Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 946 times

Advertisements

Well I'll start off with my dogs name is Raider, and he is half ****zu part Chihuahua and something else. I can tell his different barka and what they usually mean. He does bark when someone is at the door or hea excited someone is coming in if he knows them and even if he doesn't known them he can usually sense things pretty well. The last month I've been teaching him to go outside potty with out a a leash and he stays close to me when I call him but I give him free roam for so much distance between us, for fear of other animals hurting him or something. He once in a blue moon will try to attempt to run or kinda chase the neighborhood cats in my apartment complex, but he's getting better as I find new ways to train and punishiah him for chasing and barking at them. Sometimes,which the last month I have only noticed, that he starts to bark at the window and/or front/back patio door or railings where he can fit. I know you can't always see the cats especially at night or in certain spots where the eye can't exactly see. Well I work during the day but I started noticing him have this distinctive bark, repeatedly usually and sometimes even until I show him nothing is there, but he continues to do it but its not very much he does it. Anyways, I've asked my only neighbor on the 3rd story with me if they have been outside or seen or heard anyone, and like I figured they said no. Well every time he repeatedly growls or barks its not a happy bark that's for sure. My blinds and door and screen door is shut and lockednans closed, so idk what he's seeing or hearing possibly when I look and show him.. Nothing and or no one is there and I see no data or animals or anything AT ALL!!! What are some possibilities he could be barking at?? If you need more info please just ask, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
He may be hearing or smelling something you do not.
Our dog barks at our neighbor if he parks his truck in a different spot and will bark at my Husband if he doesn't recognize him at first.
In his defense though Walter (our dog) is old and does not see well any longer and he has barked more in the last few months than he has the entire 10 years we have had him sharing our home.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,212,479 times
My dogs do not ever bark at sirens. They go by the house all the time and they pay no attention to them. There was one time, however, I fell over very ill and had to crawl to the telephone to call 911. Nina, my large mutt, stood stiff in the middle of the living room staring straight at the wall and was barking. She heard the sirens before I did and it was as if she was guiding them to where they needed to be. It was the oddest thing, but this dog is smart. It's the only time she ever did that.

They can also hear the car next door, on the other side of the house, pull out of the driveway and even with the curtains, windows and doors closed, run to the window and bark. They know when the dog across the street comes out, even though I can't hear it. Sometimes they'll bolt like bats out of hell to the front window out of the bedroom barking like crazy and I'll go look and there's nothing there.

Your dog may have extra sensitive hearing and is just picking up sounds humans can't.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Many breeds need to alert you that an acorn has fallen in China.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,923,706 times
He's bored. He's got pent up frustration and energy. He's going to get more neurotic. He needs several GOOD LONG WALKS per day.

Why are you PUNISHING him?

Why are you "training him" to be stuck on a leash "out there" doing nothing? He needs some kind of life and for dogs, that's walking. IT's what they do.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,259,707 times

Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
He's bored. He's got pent up frustration and energy. He's going to get more neurotic. He needs several GOOD LONG WALKS per day.

Why are you PUNISHING him?

Why are you "training him" to be stuck on a leash "out there" doing nothing? He needs some kind of life and for dogs, that's walking. IT's what they do.
This. Punishing him is NOT the answer.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
I missed that...someone is punishing a dog?
A dog needs a couple of . "Nos", sometimes...that is punishment ,,,,then a few minutes later,
a "Good boy."

Read Cesar Millan's book.
I'm not going back to read what I missed, I'm covering my ears.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Many breeds need to alert you that an acorn has fallen in China.
I can't handle breeds like that myself. That is why I have laid back Great Danes, and even one of my Danes is deaf

Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,446,135 times
It's hard to read that closely spaced paragraph, but I can't find anything about the dog being stuck out on a leash or punished? I'm going to try putting a piece of paper under each line as I read it and go over it again...
OK, punish for chasing neighborhood cats. He's NOT on a leash. She's out there with him. You need to keep him leashed. You may be able to train him not to chase the cats, but that's going against every instinct and will be a demanding task. In the meantime, punishing won't solve anything. He doesn't know what he's done wrong. He's being a dog. Mine live with cats, but off-leash outside, they'd take of after a cat in a minute. However, they never are off-leash outside, unless in our fenced yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs