Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM

807 posts, read 1,357,914 times

Advertisements

I have a 2.5 year old Doberman that still follows me like a puppy and watches every move I make. Constantly wants to be where I am at all times. My dad lives with me so it's not like he's going to be alone when I leave but as soon as I walk out the door he watches me until I leave the driveway.

When my dad goes to bed and I want to go out with friends, I have to make it look like I'm going to the bathroom and leave out the side door so he thinks I'm still in the house. That way, he will go back to sleep and not whine.

He's a great dog. Great watch dog and very smart. But at 2.5 years old I would think he would have grown out of this by now. I know Dobermans are very loyal but geez.

I've been debating on getting him a playmate. I think it would make him less dependant on me for attention all the time.

Anyone else go through this? What was your solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,315,164 times
There's a method for raising dogs called "nothing in life is free" and that has helped my velcro German Shepherd from developing an anxiety attachment issue. Is your dog insecure in general? I'd work on building up his confidence, have other people feed him from time to time, and generally, don't baby him or pay too much attention to him when he's acting like this. Work on his obedience training; perfect his stay and gradually build up the time you walk away. Pretty much ignore the insecure attention getting behavior. Another older confident dog could definitely help your dog but a puppy will likely pick up on your dog's issue and then you'll have 2 dogs following you to the bathroom

Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,483,775 times
Dobermans are known to be Velcro dogs. The special bond with one person is what makes them easy to train and do things other breeds won't. The downside is that when left by owners they are miserable. No other human can be as good as you in his eyes. Several breeds have this disposition, German shepherds included. And that's not puppy attitude, it's the breed.
You can start training him (do you use a crate?) one step at a time. See articles on how to deal with separation anxiety.
They can improve, but the strong bond is part of what makes them special. They are Dobermans!
As for second dog, it's an unknown. It's not likely that the Doberman will be busy with the other and forget all about you. There are chances of serious fights developing over toys, food and territory. But again, if you pick with care, it may work. An opposite sex dog is where you should start looking.

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-30-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 01:57 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,133,782 times
I have five dogs...an old Lab mix, three Boston Terriers (12, 10 and 9) and a six year old French Bulldog. None suffer from any anxiety and have no other behavioral issues at all. But...the youngest does exactly as your Dobie does. Wolfgang can be dead asleep in the living room and the minute I get up to go to a different room, there he is right behind me. He'll lie down and wait until I'm ready to move again. LOL

My Wolfgang loves his momma. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs