Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2021, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 13,518 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to take a trip with flight time of around six hours. It will take an hour-and-a-half to get to the airport, so I should probably stay overnight before the trip, close to the airport.

Once I arrive at the destination, it will take around a half-hour driving time to get to destination.

I need help figuring out a plan.

My dog is a rescue who weighs around 12 lbs.

He has EXTREME separation anxiety, which I believe was worsened by quarantine, where I have been home almost every second.

He had been good about getting his nails trimmed till this one time when the person showed up at the exact time my neighbor was doing something with high pitched power tools - he freaked out (the dog) and now is a "problem dog" and I have to take him into a facility to get his nails cut and he gets so scared he expresses his anal glands (this info is so you can see he is one easily freaked out little guy).

He loves me and can't get enough of me - lol.

I googled "what happens when you're flying on a plane and have to go to the bathroom" and there was not one response. What do PEOPLE do with their pets when they have to go to the bathroom.

I will be getting him designated as an ADA "Psychiatric Service Animal" (not an Emotional Support Animal, which is no longer a "thing" as far as airlines are concerned. I ordered a book "How to Train a Service Animal" and have taught him a few commands).

When I take him for walks, he overheats and just stops on the sidewalk (temp around 70!!!).

He does not like the car, but has stopped crying, non-stop. He does whine after awhile though.

I live a very quiet life and will be going to a very, very noisy city (complete with non-stop sirens, etc.) Right now he barks at every leaf he sees falling, and any strange noise.

All of that to say "not the ideal travel dog."

I am just wondering HOW it will actually be to travel with this high-maintenance mutt!!!

Do you have any advice or words of wisdom?

Thank you

Last edited by ontheotherhand; 06-15-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 06:48 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,581,686 times
I have never flown with a dog, but I suggest you talk to your vet about sedating him for the flight at least. Have a small crate to keep him in on the floor if you have to use the rest-room on the plane.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:51 PM

20 posts, read 13,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have never flown with a dog, but I suggest you talk to your vet about sedating him for the flight at least. Have a small crate to keep him in on the floor if you have to use the rest-room on the plane.
I was thinking the crate might be the only solution. Baggage restrictions make everything difficult. That counts as one carry-on.

And on the Psychiatric Service Animal - the task I taught him really helps me - he is a good dog, a smart dog, but just has anxiety.

I am scared to sedate him but I will seek advice on that from a vet.

Thank you.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:54 AM

557 posts, read 300,822 times
I am sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Every single one of your statements applied to my dog exactly.
My answer was to not travel for the 10+ years she was with us.

In answer to your questions: When you go to the bathroom, you take the dog with you. He is only 12lbs. My dog was 16lbs and no matter how tight the squeeze, she had to be in the bathroom with me, always! It is just one of the many things that owners of Italian Greyhounds, Whippets, Greyhounds, and the like, accept as S.O.P. (standard operating procedure). They have earned their nickname 'velcro' dogs. You learn to pull down your pants and do your thing, all while holding Mr.Velcro. It is recommended that you practice before getting on the plane .

On the subject of sedation, here is what the AVMA says
Quote:
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases, dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying because they can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems as the dog is exposed to increased altitude pressures. They can also alter the animal’s natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium, which can be dangerous when the carrier is moved. While sedation is generally not advised, the decision on whether or not to prescribe a tranquilizer for your pet should be made by your veterinarian. If he or she decides that tranquilizers are medically necessary for the trip, indicate the name of the drug taken and the dosage on the dog’s carrier.
I recently traveled a 1000miles with my New-To-Me Dog, a 13yr old rescue. I didn't imagine it would be so hard. My parents would pack, six kids, the grandma, and two dogs into a Dodge Dart for family vacations. I don't ever remember anyone making special accommodations for the kids, much less the dogs. New-To-Me Dog hadn't shown any signs of having an aversion to the car before the trip. I made him a special snuggly place in the car with his favorite bed. I packed his favorite snacks and water. There was nothing to cry about, I was sitting right next to him. But cry, he did and pant and whine and would not settle for most of the 1000miles. He traveled slightly better at night for some reason than he did during the daylight hours. The hotels were another trauma, he never settled, jumped at every noise from the hallway.

Now, that we have made it down to our new home. I can't imagine attempting to travel with him, again. Good luck and keep us updated on how you do. May be through your story there will be hope for the rest of us, stuck at home w/ travel-adverse dogs!

Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 AM

238 posts, read 100,059 times
I have a 4 lb chihuahua that is 8 years old and has always traveled with me quite well... meaning she will lay down on the front seat and relax like it's no big deal. Never whines or cries... just enjoys the ride.

A couple months ago I moved cross country with a 6 hour direct flight from Seattle to Orlando... more than anything else I wanted to make sure she slept the whole way so even though she's always traveled well I still got a mild sedative from the vet.

Worked as intended... I had her in her carrier under the seat in front of me and after some initial anxiety for like 5 minutes she laid down and went to sleep. In addition to being her first flight this was also her first time ever being in a carrier and she did great. I took her outside on arrival and she did her business.

I'd suggest a sedative.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:42 PM

23,539 posts, read 19,277,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
I also remembered that the airplane literature says that a pet must be with you at all times - so you couldn't even leave them in a carrier to go to the bathroom.
I've travelled with small pets in the cabin many times. No flight attendant ever required me to take my animal out from under the seat when I went to the bathroom! I'm sure what that statement meant was never leaving the pet behind if you decide to de-plane during a layover! I'd read the pet travel information for that specific airline and call them if it isn't clear.

As for sedatives, there are non-prescription anti-anxiety herbal meds around, even edibles formulated for pets. Rescue Remedy is a well known herbal many dog owners like. Get a couple and test them ahead of time. One of them might be enough.

Trying to get him "qualified" as a fake support animal is doing a serious disservice to those people who actually DO need them. It is simply dishonest and unethical IMHO.

Considering what a stress fest this trip is going to be for both of you (yes, your dog will pick up on yours and it will probably make his worse) I'd be looking at getting him comfortable with a dog sitter and leaving him home. I'd also re-evaluate how I handle the dog in general. As you wrote, he's lost his tolerance for you leaving because you were always home during the pandemic. Hasn't done him any favors has it? Maybe you need to re-build that confidence all over again (doing the very short duration departures and arrivals routine) to improve the quality of his life going forward. Dogs can learn things they've unlearned and vice versa.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-16-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 02:58 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,422,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
......I will be getting him designated as an ADA "Psychiatric Service Animal" (not an Emotional Support Animal, which is no longer a "thing" as far as airlines are concerned. I ordered a book "How to Train a Service Animal" and have taught him a few commands)......

Service animals are for people who have a disability that limits their life activities, that need the service animal in order to live a more normal life. If you are currently training him to be a service animal so that he can ride on an airplane, you obviously did not need a trained service animal before you decided on this trip.

If that is true, then shame on you for pretending to be disabled in order to get special privileges.

Small pet dogs who fit under an airline seat can travel in the cabin with their owner, as long as they have the proper reservations. You will have to call around to the different airlines to find one who will allow your dog in the cabin.

To prepare the dog, get the under seat carrier early and start making the dog ride inside the carrier anytime you take the dog in the car. If the dog is really resistant, you might have to make him spend the night in the carrier until he is resigned to it.

Also, before the flight, see if you can train the dog to use a potty pad.

Before the flight, feed the dog, but only give him a very small meal. He'll travel better with something in his stomach, but not much in his stomach.

I don't recommend a tranquilizer.

I've flown several times with a dog in a carrier in the cabin. The dog has always traveled well and quietly. To a dog, riding in a plane is no different than riding in a car. Dogs have no concept of flying.

In the plane, if I go to the loo, I pick up the carrier and take the dog with me. If it is along flight, I give the dog a chance to use the potty pad in the airplane loo. (usually, they won't)

In the airport, almost all airports have a dog potty area. However, it might be along way across the airport and so I will take the dog into a stall in the lady's room and put down the potty p[ad for them to use.

The floor of the airplane will be hot before the plane takes off, so I hold the carrier on my lap until take-off time when the air-conditioner starts working.

You can not take the dog out of the carrier.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,153,218 times
If your dog has extreme anxiety, the breeder gave me a good tip. When I picked up my puppy, she gave me a Benadryl cut in half. He got the first dose before the first flight, but it wasn’t enough. He slept, then woke up and screamed all through the DFW trams and airport. On the second flight, I gave him the second dose and he slept for a few hours. He’s eight weeks old and was fine with the Benadryl, didn’t hurt him at all, you would have to adjust the dose for a larger dog.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:46 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,039,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Trying to get him "qualified" as a fake support animal is doing a serious disservice to those people who actually DO need them. It is simply dishonest and unethical IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Service animals are for people who have a disability that limits their life activities, that need the service animal in order to live a more normal life. If you are currently training him to be a service animal so that he can ride on an airplane, you obviously did not need a trained service animal before you decided on this trip.

If that is true, then shame on you for pretending to be disabled in order to get special privileges.
Amen to both of these.

This kind of shameful behavior casts a pall over all dog owners, which is unfair to the honest ones.

Just don't do it.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:46 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,621,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Amen to both of these.

This kind of shameful behavior casts a pall over all dog owners, which is unfair to the honest ones.

Just don't do it.
Amen ! I will also add I myself would not be happy to be seated near a dog on a plane for hours that pitches a fit, not happy with kids that do that either. If you think your dog might not handle the trip well consider boarding it as your fellow travelers on the plane will thank you. The only dog of mine that has been on a plane was Chaos as a puppy but she flew as checked baggage and she did great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs