Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

Mine does, but not often. He usually has to go potty and sometimes he just goes off and starts barking and running around, but that doesn't happen too often. I've walked him before I go to sleep, but he still has these habits now and then. Have any of you all experienced this~? If I get mad enough I crate him. Is that the solution~? He's not crated otherwise and runs free thru the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I guess I'm lucky -- Artie has never woken me up in the middle of the night. I'm guessing that he would, though, if he had to go out, but that hasn't happened in our 5 years together. (And now that I've said that, he's going to wake me up at 2.00 AM now, isn't he?? )

Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
If he doesn't do it often, and usually has to go potty, I wouldn't crate him. All my dogs have woken me when they needed to potty, which wasn't often (except for one dog on prednisone but that's a different story). My thinking is, since they don't do it a lot, it must be important. I wouldn't want to have to depend on someone else to let me in the bathroom every time I needed to go!
More often than the middle of the night, (still not too often, though) they try to wake me maybe a half hour before it's our usual time to get up. When they do that, I tell them go back to sleep and they almost always do. If they don't, or wake me again within a few minutes, I let them out.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
Diesel sleeps like a rock. Spanky on the other hand is a light sleeper and if he hears me stir, he will come in to see if I am getting up, butt wiggling the whole time (I can feel his tail whipping the bed.) If I'm not getting up I will still acknowledge him (rub his head) and tell him go lay down, which he does.

If he returns or wakes me without me stirring, he's gotta go and I'll get up and let them out. No fun and games, it's strickly business and back inside.

Like S2C, who would want to depend on someone else to go to the bathroom, if they are asking, it's for a reason. We don't have "accidents" if I don't "read" Spanky correctly, he will bark at me. The ONLY time he does this is to go out. It's his version of the pee pee dance, HA! (unless he waiting at the door to be let out and then he doing the pee pee dance!!!)

Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
She does when she paws at the side of my mattress for me to wake up and pick her up and put her back on the bed after she's jumped off to go outside to go pee. She used to be able to get back up all on her own. But she's blind now and my bed is too high for her to safely make it back up. I've found I've become a light sleeper now--always listening for her doggy door flap to make sure she's safely inside and not outside injured.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Every once in awhile Bella wakes me before its time to get up. It's always because she has to potty. She is very nice about it thou. We sleep in a king size bed. She has her side and I have mine. If she needs to wake me up, she crawls over to me and very gently lays her big ol block head across my neck. I guess she figures that if I can't breathe, I'll wake up.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Mine do not wake me as a matter of fact I have to wake them up in the morning and when I do Dazzle often gives me that " not yet" look. Because I work nights ( I only work 3 shifts a week) I also have to sleep some days and they have no probem sleeping then too and do not wake me. I do have a pet door so if they need to go out they can but I think they seldom do that. These two fit my life so well and seem to just take any change in routine in stride which is good as on my work days our routine is very different then it is on my days off.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
It is about 3:36 AM here.......Bear had to go out.

I would rather he let me know.

What irritates me a little.....neither dog wakes up hubby.

They must think he needs his rest........

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Max usually sleeps all night. If he gets really restless it's because he needs to go out or his tummy is upset. But he always wakes me up in the morning. Always! He is good about going back to sleep after he doing his morning business.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
If I get mad enough I crate him. Is that the solution~? He's not crated otherwise and runs free thru the house.
No!! That is not the solution. The crate should never be punishment.
If you're only putting your dog in there when you're mad, then it's punishment.
On the other hand, if this is happening on a regular basis, you can have the dog go in the crate at bed time and remain there until morning.

Otherwise teach the "quiet" command and lay down command. Your dog needs to know what is expected of him or he will come up with his own ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs