Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 09:20 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
Winter is coming up and our chihuahua is now living full time at our place in Washington.
It snows and is much colder than our area in California that he is used to.
Our cattle dog was born and raised in Washington and doesn’t care about the cold.
He actually doesn’t care for the California heat and hangs by the AC register when I bring him there.

So my question is where do you all buy your doggy clothes?
All the pet shops have poor selections and very high prices.
Are there any online stores that y’all can recommend?
I’m about to hit Amazon and I’d like to see more options before I spent a bunch of money.

Thank you.
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 05:07 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
You might go through less trial and error reading chi-specific webpages. They might steer you toward suggestions more appropriate for the size and breed.

Just talked with a dear friend a few days ago. He's always been a field trial caliber Chesapeake/lab person, but circumstances handed him and gf an elderly, partially bald, toothless, cantankerous chihuahua mix. Because he's retired, it often falls to him to walk the dog. He admits he'd choose areas where no one he knows might spot them together. He admits detesting shopping for dog clothes or to be seen walking a dog in a coat. Over time, he also admits the crabby little thing has sort of grown on him despite his best efforts. He reminded me when one of his performance dogs chewed through the drywall in his living room. At least a toothless dog can't repeat that one .

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-18-2022 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2022, 11:05 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Outside of collars, the only clothes mine wear are safety vests for work sometimes. I just cut a human vest in two, added trim, straps and buttons. I like buttons better than velcro, as velcro tends to collect hair and outdoor stuff and become ineffective. But I guess my thought would be to consider making your own. But I like Parnassia's idea to contact some chi-specific forum or group.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:08 PM

10,305 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Just noticed today, as I was flipping thru the recent CostCo wallet, that they offer dog "coats" for cold weather. Sorry, don't have an item number for you, atm.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I splurged on him over at Amazon today.
The little guy now has a new winter wardrobe.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:51 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The only "clothes" that I buy for my dogs are personal flotation devices and skid plates. I buy off of Amazon. Selection is good and items usually have pretty good measurements so you can measure the dog to see if they will fit.

For a Chihuahua, I'd also take a look at the offerings on Etsy. Amazon was selling some darling Halloween costumes for tiny dogs. If you like that sort of thing.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:56 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For a Chihuahua, I'd also take a look at the offerings on Etsy. Amazon was selling some darling Halloween costumes for tiny dogs. If you like that sort of thing.
Just resist the tutus...

A plea from the rest of us (and probably the dogs)!

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2022 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-27-2022, 11:51 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just resist the tutus...

A plea from the rest of us (and probably the dogs)!
I confess a weakness for those little leprechaun costumes where it looks like the leprechaun is walking towards you. I wouldn't do it to my own dog, but the videos of those costumes make me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDk9...RZZGvF&index=3

Old 11-27-2022, 05:49 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi everybody,
Winter is coming up and our chihuahua is now living full time at our place in Washington.
It snows and is much colder than our area in California that he is used to.
Our cattle dog was born and raised in Washington and doesn’t care about the cold.
He actually doesn’t care for the California heat and hangs by the AC register when I bring him there.

So my question is where do you all buy your doggy clothes?
All the pet shops have poor selections and very high prices.
Are there any online stores that y’all can recommend?
I’m about to hit Amazon and I’d like to see more options before I spent a bunch of money.

Thank you.
Andy
My sister has a chihuahua and she always cut the sleeves/arms off on old sweatshirt or sweater. The arm cuff on the sleeve will go where the neck is. Trim the cut end to fit dog. She would hem that end or even used a glue gun to hold them in. You get two totally tubular sweaters for your pet.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I used chewy or petedge for clothes. Maltese are small and get cold also. They also have coats to walk in the winter. The good news is the clothes don’t wear out. My dogs are wearing clothes from others that have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs