Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 03:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine owns two wonderful APBTs. She just moved from Alaska to Oregon, and now, if she can't find someone to keep her dogs for her for a little while, until she can get her own place, she will have to give them up. Long story short, she set things up to move in with a friend of hers in Oregon until she could get on her feet and get in her own place, but two days before she moved, her friend told her that she couldn't move in anymore! So, she is now living with a family member in Oregon that would have no problem with her having her dogs there, but she lives in an apartment where she's only allowed to have one dog, and he already has two. She recently met a very sweet lady that is helping her out right now, she is keeping her dogs for her, but she can only keep them for another couple weeks. My friend has found a job and it won't be too much longer until she can get her own place, but if she can't find someone that can help her until then, she will have to give her dogs up. So, I wanted to see if there was anyone on here that could maybe help her out for a little while, or if there's anyone on here that knows someone that might be able to help her? Also, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
That's a bummer! How about a boarding kennel or local vet....
If she suppplied food, cleaning & exercise they might give her a break in price.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:27 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Well that sucks...about the friend telling her no,...at any rate, I ran into a similar situation when I rescued Lady. I needed a place to keep her for a couple weeks till I moved. My vet came to the rescue. She boarded her for the two weeks and I could visit her everyday and take her for walks etc.

Maybe she could inquire around to different vet hospitals or doggie daycare/pet sitters are another good avenue to go down...pass the word around and explain her situation.
Someone is bound to know someone that can help out.

Where there is a will there is a way...personally, there would be no way I would give up my dogs...but I'm speaking from my standpoint.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:03 PM

I would live in my car with my dogs before I gave them up, but that's just me! lol! I asked her if she checked the vets and kennels in her area about boarding them, but since she just moved, just got a new job and is trying to get into her own place asap, she can't afford to board them somewhere like that. Obviously she will pay anyone that can help her, and of course, supply food and everything else they need, but she won't be able to pay as much as she would have to to actually board them. I suggested that she contact some APBT rescue groups and see if maybe they can help her. Also, I know some people that do fostering and are involved in rescue, so I'm going to get in touch with them, tell them what's going on and see if they could help, or at least have some advice. She is just in a horrible situation right now.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
APBT rescue will possibly know of an available foster home(s) who could take one or both dogs temporarily (if there is an available home, unfortunately most are filled to the gills esp. around the holidays but there's always a chance she could get lucky and someone will sympathize or know of someone etc, she should get it in writing though).

Old 12-23-2007, 04:04 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Is there any chance she could find an inexpensive roommate situation where her dogs would be allowed?

I realize she may want to save up money to get her own place, but instead of waiting until she can afford, say $800/mo plus the costs of move-in (security deposit, etc.), why not find a livable situation where she can rent a room for maybe $400 or $500? Just something livable until she's in better financial standing......it might mean she can stay with her dogs.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 AM

I just heard back from her a few minutes ago and this is what she wrote me..

Quote:
Yes, well I actually talked to the lady that's babysitting them, and she's willing to continue watching them, she was just having a bad day and what she wrote came out the wrong way, so I took it the wrong way. Anyways, I still may re-home Virgo, as she's such an active type dog, she really should be the only animal in a home, and it's not fair for me to have everyone suffer, and not provide Virgo with the right home. So-- if you know anyone willing to give Virgo a FABULOUS home, let me know.
So, I guess that worked out, but now she has to find a home for her female APBT. Or she might re-home her I guess? I'm sure it won't be too hard to find her a good home. She is a very sweet, gorgeous dog.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
PBM You might have better luck if you give the area the dog is actually in. Maybe someone in that area could help. Oragan is a big state & she might be near other states as well. Place ads for her in those state formums might help too...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Here is the link to Virgo's site.. Hi My name's Virgo, and I'm looking for a fetch partner for life. (broken link) Virgo's owner just sent it to me, so I figured Id share it.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM

52 posts, read 63,322 times
Place a ad in a paper she really does not look like a Bulldog just say its a mixed breed if its good with kids someone may give the dog a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs