Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 4,341 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have a 10 year old beagle/rat terrier mix with a history of back challenges. In the past our protocol of rest, meds, and supplements have been enough. This recent episode is more intense. I am writing to ask if anyone has had success with laser light treatments. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 06:38 PM

8,666 posts, read 11,099,890 times
My vet did laser therapy on my Shepherd's shoulder when he injured it from jumping off the rear deck.
It worked after the very first treatment.
I would recommend this treatment, but talk to your vet first and see if he/she agrees.

Bob.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Thank you, Bob. Did you see the results within a day or two or did it take longer? Did your dog receive multiple treatments or just the one? And do you know if it was a warm or cold laser? I am working with a vet who is using the laser with a focus on acupuncture points. We've had only one treatment. The treatment did seem to initially help and then the effects lessened considerably.

Thank you for your time and I am glad your Shepherd's shoulder healed.

Donna

Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 AM

108 posts, read 115,135 times
Yes the laser treatment is very helpful . One my friend got her dog treated by laser and it was a joint problem . Her dog attended 4 sessions in one and a half month and the dog was fine after that. This takes a time but is effective though.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:21 PM

8,666 posts, read 11,099,890 times
I noticed an immediate result.
He limped into the vet hospital, and after the first treatment (heat laser) he walked out without limping.
He never limped after that first session, but the vet did three more , one week apart, just to make sure the treatment would last, and it did.
That was about 6 months ago, and he is just fine.

Bob.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Thank you, Bob and Gulmeena...this sounds very encouraging and I will be patient and try a few more sessions. I want to try and avoid surgery if I can, as my dog is very sensitive to meds and I am afraid of the anesthesia. Thanks again for responding -- I really appreciate it. Donna

Old 12-27-2014, 08:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,558 times
I know this wasn't your question, but have you considered either acupressure/acupuncture, therapeutic massage, and/ or chiropractic for dogs?
Just like with people, one modality may work where another doesn't. Both I and my dogs respond well to both acupuncture/acupressure and chiropractic.
I do massage and acupressure on my dog's and on my foster dog's hips about 2x a week, and think it really helps, if only to help release some muscle tightness that may exacerbate the situation.
I would definitely try either of these before I did surgery.
I don't know where you are located, but Tallgrass has a list of acupressure practitioners you can search from.
TGAA: Tg Animal Acupressure Practitioner Locator - Acupressure Training
Here is a search of acupuncture practitioners from Chi Institute
http://www.tcvm.com/Resources/FindaT...ctitioner.aspx
Alternately, the best way of finding a practitioner is through word of mouth

Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Thank you, twelvepaw. I am in upstate NY and would love to find a massage therapist. I haven't had luck yet, but I did find an acupuncturist and will likely give that a try after the laser. I have been afraid of chiropractic for this particular dog...she is extra sensitive and I know some of the chiropractic manipulations can be harsh. You mentioned that you do massage and acupressure yourself...how did you learn how to do this? Did you take training? I really like the idea of learning how to help her with massage and acupressure...thank you so much! I truly appreciate it. And thank you for the sites...I will check them out.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,558 times
I have an amazing vet who has had advanced training in acupuncture, acupressure, and chiropractic. Whenever she treats my dog or a foster dog I watch and ask questions. She shows me the pressure points to work on. Our issues thus far have been with the hips/hindquarters so I have those acupressure points down pretty well. I trained in human massage many years ago, but the canine massage is largely intuitive and an adaptation- if you watch your dog when you are working on a particular area they will tell you what feels therapeutically good.
I understand your concern about the chiropractic treatment- but speaking personally, I would do it as a last step before surgery.
Good luck with your girl.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,231,981 times
we've had great success with Cetyl-M on several of our dogs and have recommended this to friends who have all reported similar success stories. Plenty of testimonials and info available on the web if you look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=CngCETzqqSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Y8uw2d7DkWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs