Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,070,568 times

Advertisements

I said after Sam died I would never want to own another dog, and five months later here we are. My husband and I have been discussing adopting another dog and I finally submitted an application. The site says it can take 10 days for a response, and you may never receive a response at all, but of course now I can't stop thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,249,086 times
Good luck with the adoption! Hope you find a dog that needs you and fits your needs. I have two wonderful adopted dogs. It is a good way to get your new best buddy.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM

19,939 posts, read 12,230,587 times
Good luck with the adoption. Rescues all do adoptions differently. Have you ever considered fostering? When I lost my beloved dog 2 years ago I couldn't bring myself to get another permanent dog at the time (afraid of the heartbreak). I have since adopted one of my fosters and am closing in on adopting another foster of mine. It is a wonderful way to see if a dog is a good fit.

The first step is huge. So glad you are ready to open your home to a new pup.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Good luck with the adoption. Rescues all do adoptions differently. Have you ever considered fostering? When I lost my beloved dog 2 years ago I couldn't bring myself to get another permanent dog at the time (afraid of the heartbreak). I have since adopted one of my fosters and am closing in on adopting another foster of mine. It is a wonderful way to see if a dog is a good fit.

The first step is huge. So glad you are ready to open your home to a new pup.
No I hadn't thought of fostering but I'll talk to my husband about it. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,336,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I said after Sam died I would never want to own another dog, and five months later here we are. My husband and I have been discussing adopting another dog and I finally submitted an application. The site says it can take 10 days for a response, and you may never receive a response at all, but of course now I can't stop thinking about it.
After I submitted my application to the Rescue I used, it took about a week before I heard back. Something to keep in mind: for most people involved in Rescue, the Rescue itself is not their full-time job. Many of them work outside the home and do the rescue work during their off hours. So be patient.

I am so glad I rescued Ryder back in March. He has greatly enriched my life...and challenged it in ways, too. But worth it. Love him!

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 PM

19,939 posts, read 12,230,587 times
Quote:
No I hadn't thought of fostering but I'll talk to my husband about it. Thanks for the suggestion
I found it was actually easier to get approved to foster than to adopt. If you have a particular breed that you like there are so many breed specific groups that are always looking for foster homes. Most times they will let you pick your foster pup and usually the foster home has the first opportunity to adopt that dog.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:27 PM

246 posts, read 279,983 times
Default Foster or Adopt?

We have fostered 3 collies that we ended up adopting (foster failures). We currently only have one dog which is a first for us. we have always had 2 so they could keep each other company. I think once this one passes (which I hope is a long time from now), we will foster only. As much as I love them and as attached as we get, there are great adopters out there looking for a pet that is socialized, and has no bad habits.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:08 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,050,455 times
Quote:
The site says it can take 10 days for a response, and you may never receive a response at all
What kind of rescue doesn't respond? There are plenty of great dogs in the local animal shelters that would love a new home.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
What kind of rescue doesn't respond? There are plenty of great dogs in the local animal shelters that would love a new home.
They only do fosters & don't have an actual shelter. The site says it takes a while due to staffing/as another poster said, this is not their fulltime jobs.

I'm now thinking fostering would probably not be a good idea. We have a 6 year old yorkie and she had a difficult time with Sam dying. She was very scared every time we took him to the vet and did not take him home with us (lots of overnight stays when he got sick). She was fearless when he was alive, and now she's afraid of everything (thunder, doors closing due to open windows, etc). I think she needs a companion who will be with us for the long run.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 AM

917 posts, read 1,391,299 times
Good luck with your adoption! Thank you for taking a chance on giving another dog a chance!!! Im sure he or she will be in a very loving home!! Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs