Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM

611 posts, read 1,460,030 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow pet lovers!

I've been around pets for most of my life - starting from a very young age, I've pretty much always had dogs or cats (or both) around the house in some form or fashion. I really don't think I can imagine NOT having a furry friend around the house, now that I think about it.

In the last six months or so, I've been bitten by the puppy bug, and I've landed pretty firmly on the idea of adopting a Samoyed. I'm the kind of person who likes to thoroughly research everything before making a big decision, so I've been trying to make sure (through lots and lots of reading) that I'll be a good match for one of these beautiful dogs.

Does anybody here have experience owning a Samoyed? If so, I'd love to hear your input. Every breed has its own unique set of challenges, and I want to be as well-informed as possible before I make the final decision.

From what I've learned, these guys are intelligent, love exercise and have lots of energy, are a bit strong-willed and stubborn, are good with families, have tons of fur (I'll be ready to deal with the shedding ), and need lots of human interaction.

There are probably "easier" dogs to adopt, but that hasn't scared me away in the least.

I look forward to any input you guys can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times
I had a Samoyed as a kid growing up in MN. They are great dogs. One Christmas we got a sled and a dog harness - that was a fun winter for us kids getting pulled in a sled behind our dog.

They tend to be people oriented dogs, and can be dog aggressive outside of the "pack" (ours met both descriptions), but they are not generally considered a dog aggressive breed. They are sturdy dogs, relatively high energy (but low key, not high strung) and do well with kids generally, so kids can play a little rough without the dog getting hurt, feeling threatened, or getting worn out - typically we kids got tired first.

They are SMART! Kipper figured out how door bells work after he noticed or neighbor coming to the door, ringing the bell, and having one of us answer the door. He always rang when he wanted to come in after that, and it used to freak guest out, "who's that?" "Oh, just the dog, he wants to come in." He would also come and grab your hand with his mouth and "take" you to something he wanted to show you, or the door if he wanted out. He would also bring you his leash if he wanted to go for a walk. I don't think he was an overly smart Samoyed, I think they are overly smart dogs.

We had cats, and Kipper was always good about playing with them. I think he thought of them as his pets.

He preferred being outside in the winter, and inside in the AC in the summer. They are definitely cold weather dogs.

They don't bark a lot, but they are very verbal dogs, and somewhat loud. They have a lot of vocalizations they use. With Kipper, it almost felt like a language, but it was probably more that we responded certain ways to certain noises, so he made more of those noises. My current dogs are mutts, and both are non barking vocalizing dogs, so it may be something my family and I do with dogs in our communications.

They are not overly fast dogs when running, but they don't stop either. Plan on walking the dog regularly, and for longer distances than a typical dog. They do ok running along side a bicycle if you need to get the run out of the dog.

They are not generally fond of water, although Kipper did wade on occasion, I only saw him swim once, and that was an accident on his part, and he was not happy about it.

Kipper didn't fetch. He would chase a ball or a stick, but there was no retriever gene in his genetics. That may have been unique to our dog, but I don't think they are generally good "fetchers." Typically they are not good at obedience trial type activities. They are obedient dogs, but on their own terms. I have a Shar Pei mix, and they just sort have their own timetable for "when" they obey, but they always obey - Samoyeds share that trait.

The worst part about them is the shedding. They shed in clumps of hair, so it is easier than individual dog hair everywhere, but the shed quite a bit in the spring/early summer. The fur has hooks in it, hence the clumping, and the fur can be spun and turned into a yarn - little thinner and lighter than mohair when it is spun into yarn. We tried it once, but didn't get enough yarn to do anything with it, but it is possible. That "hook" also has it cling to carpets, not like glued down, but it won't blow around the house once it's on carpet. If you don't keep up on the grooming, the fur will matt and you will have to cut the clump of fur out - voice of experience on that one!

They are clean dogs, and don't have a smell to speak of. Your house may look like dog from the fur laying around, but it won't smell like dog.

Hope this helps in your decision process. Best of luck.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,472,714 times
Good post by Tuck, pretty much said everything I was going to say. I never owned one but when I was kid a neighbor in Iowa had one. He used to follow me on my paper route nearly every day. He was sort of my body guard. Seems like a great breed but not sure they would do well in Tennessee, they are suited for cold climates.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Many years ago one of the first pet therapy dogs at the hospital I work at was a Samoyed owned by a Nurse. Beautiful dog. This one did survive OK in Central California.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:12 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,691 times
They are beautiful, usually friendly dogs. Samoyeds need regular brushing, or those beautiful thick coats will tangle and mat. Also, they need a fenced area to run around in; leashed walks alone are not enough to expend their energy.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
I had one, and agree with "Tuck's Dad" and "Regina14."
Very similar, in my opinion to Malamutes, especially in the shedding (called blowing coats), talking, hating water but loving snow, but they need brushing every day or they mat bad especially behind the ears; whereas Mal and Huskies do not mat as fast.
Look in your area to see if there is someone who purchases Samoyed fur. It is supposed to make great sweaters, feels like Angora and is good at keeping you warm.
The breeder required a bag of puppy shed fur for a blanket she had with a 12 inch square of knitted fur for every pup there dogs had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs